Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Tod

Default New Block update.

As I said before, I've been very busy and unable to work on the block lately, but I was able to clear some time to get back on it today. After a couple of hours, the real gating system is in place, so I will order cores, head back to the foundry to mold it up, and make a few samples.

I'd like to get something cast before Hershey, but paying work comes first. If I can do it, I will probably let Snyder bring it with him when he goes, if he is actually going.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: New Block update.

Sounds good looking forward to seeing it finished!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
mshmodela

Great news Tod, cannot wait to see the new block

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
TinCup

I think your new block is very exciting news for this hobby. To be able to start with a confirmed good block is such an improvement. To many people have put a lot of money into a block only to find a crack show up after babbit work or boring or decking. Good Luck with it and our group is certainly excited about this.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Tod

Cores have been ordered and we will be trying to have something for Snyder to take to Hershey. It will be tight to do everything else and get this done as well. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will prove productive.

Tod
Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Cores have been ordered and we will be trying to have something for Snyder to take to Hershey. It will be tight to do everything else and get this done as well. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will prove productive.

Tod
Hey Tod,
For us here, who will not be able to get to Hershey, maybe you can make a quick post of pictures...or maybe send pics to those who have given you emails as requested ? This is good news , nonetheless
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
For us here, who will not be able to get to Hershey, maybe you can make a quick post of pictures...or maybe send pics to those who have given you emails as requested ? This is good news , nonetheless
I will certainly keep people posted.

As of now, I am scrambling to get one for Snyder to take with him to Hershey. I have 4 sets of cores made and the pattern is ready to go to the foundry. We can assemble a mold and have one poured and shaken out in a day. It should be doable. I'm working on a bunch of other stuff at the same time so that is why things are moving so slowly.

Tod
Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Tod

Hoping for 2 castings by the end of the week.

Tod
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Fullraceflathead

That sounds Very Good!
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Franchise_24

I find it amusing that people are out there voting this thread down to 1 star. I'm sure there are a select few out their jealous about this project so they show malice by being as petty as voting down Tod's thread. Those types of people aren't in it for the hobby, they are in it for the money. Great work on all you're doing Tod, keep it up.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hoping for 2 castings by the end of the week.

Tod
Thanks for the update, as that news is exciting. Would love to watch that casting process ! Perhaps someone, with tech skills, could/would put a video of that on here to get things (adrenalin wise ) moving !
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Model A Man

I am so looking forward to when the blocks/motors will be in full production. To me this is huge, I have yet to have a model A motor rebuilt for fear of spending a ton of money only to have the rebuilt motor last a short time as I have read many times here on the barn. To have a new block with new not rebuilt inners just gets me excited. Thanks Tod for all you are doing.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Thanks for the update, as that news is exciting. Would love to watch that casting process ! Perhaps someone, with tech skills, could/would put a video of that on here to get things (adrenalin wise ) moving !
I will only video so much. I always keep certain info to myself.

Tod
Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
tbirdtbird
BANNED

as it should be....
Old 09-30-2014, 01:57 AM   #15
hardtimes

Hey Tod,
THANKS, I can understand your response. Just picture 'brimstone and fire' pouring out in hell like situation....and then is born something good....your new baby 5 X 5 banger ! Do it ! We don't care to see the secret stuff.

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-01-2014 at 12:46 AM. Reason: ......
Old 09-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
wrndln

I haven't closely followed the new block Tod is making. Does the new block have 5 main bearings and does it have inserted mains in it? Sorry I haven't kept up on the specs of the new block. I wonder what the cost will be for it.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 09-30-2014 at 07:17 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
CarlG

I've also wondered about what other parts/pieces to use in building this "new" engine?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I've also wondered about what other parts/pieces to use in building this "new" engine?
The way I got it, is that due to poll results, Tod will do the stock type block first (most sales hopefully), then he will or maybe already has prepped for a stock looking block, but with five cam bearings and five crank main bearings...of the B/C size crank. Stock stuff will work with stock block, but of course 5x5 will require improved / new equipment. Look at the poll, if it is still available and that will give you info on what numbers dictate what to build that will sell. If I remember correctly, the stock looking block with B internals was big hit.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:
The way I got it, is that due to poll results, Tod will do the stock type block first (most sales hopefully), then he will or maybe already has prepped for a stock looking block, but with five cam bearings and five crank main bearings...of the B/C size crank. Stock stuff will work with stock block, but of course 5x5 will require improved / new equipment. Look at the poll, if it is still available and that will give you info on what numbers dictate what to build that will sell. If I remember correctly, the stock looking block with B internals was big hit.
The two we will be casting today, or tomorrow, are Model A with B internal sizing. They are to be machined and built as A's. I have one more addition to make so that the tooling will work for A's and B's. When one or the other is ordered a simple core change will account for an A or B rear tail/seal area.

I have 4 sets of cores but time is short to Hershey so I am only casting 2.

I'm also hoping that 4 stock style A guys will be willing to buy these first 4.

Tod
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Tod

Well, we started later than I expected but 2 blocks were poured today. The foundry wound up having to re-line the furnace we used so that took a few hours out of the day. Tomorrow morning (Friday) we will see how they turned out. The new gating system seemed to flow as I expected and the core assembly went well. We did change the metallurgy some so I'm hoping that causes no problems.

Stay tuned.

Tod
Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #21
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
I find it amusing that people are out there voting this thread down to 1 star. I'm sure there are a select few out their jealous about this project so they show malice by being as petty as voting down Tod's thread. Those types of people aren't in it for the hobby, they are in it for the money. Great work on all you're doing Tod, keep it up.
In all my years of being on the FordBarn and the HAMB, I have never once used the star system to decide if I would read,reply or ignore a thread. I am not even sure why it's there. If I'm interested, I read it. Period.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Same here !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
Tod

This morning I went to the foundry to see the shaken out castings. I was expecting perfection but was disappointed. The different wash we used at the core shop caused a few imperfections that make these 2 castings sub-par for me to sent to Hershey and show off. I'll machine them later but today I got 2 more castings ready to go (almost - I have to finish some little stuff in the morning) and we will pour 2 more on Monday. I went back to the first core wash we used on the first sample which did well and hopefully the results will be the elimination of the spots I just didn't like. Aside from that, the blocks looked very nice. The metal ran as expected and the new B features on the inside looked great.

Keep staying tuned.

Tod
Old 10-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
mshmodela

Hang there the Tod, you'll figure this out.. Best wishes!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 AM   #25
hardtimes

Hey Tod,
ENGLISH please ! What is a 'wash' (acid ?) and how does it affect newly poured block ? Thanks again from all us , for all your efforts to keep up informed.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #26
Tod

Quote:
Hey Tod,
ENGLISH please ! What is a 'wash' (acid ?) and how does it affect newly poured block ? Thanks again from all us , for all your efforts to keep up informed.
'Wash' is a sealer of the sand surface. It is either sprayed on or the sand is dipped in it. I have 3 different types at my disposal. The first one I used was a graphite based solution cut with alcohol. I used a different one the last time which was too thick, in my opinion, but I asked the core shop to do it so it is my fault. It gassed off in the pour and put a few holes in the casting. I was really kicking myself for changing. It will not happen twice.

Tod
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
Tod

I had some problems today unrelated to the assembly process, so it is unlikely that I can get these next 2 cast in time for Snyder to take one to Hershey. Monday will tell, but I'm not sure there is enough time now. I was supposed to have a helper to do some things but that didn't happen, so I did what little I could, molded up a new head so I can test fit the core plug, and went home a little bit annoyed.

Don Snyder wants to take the first one, that is NOT what I want to show, but he thinks showing that something has been cast and machined most of the way is a positive step, so I agreed to let him take it.

I'm not ruling out completely that we can get one cast and cleaned up in time, but I have serious doubts that the clock will cooperate.

Tod
Old 10-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #28
hardtimes

Hey Tod,
Thanks for the tutorial ! Alcohol...who knew !
You're most likely tooo busy to show a pic of what Snyder is taking..for us that can't go ? I put Hersey on my bucket list...then can't remember where I put the list. I just picture a bit of heaven, and of course Wonka , when thinking of Hersey! Wrestled that town when in school back there half century ago.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #29
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Same here !!!
me three!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote