Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Hand Cranking the Model A

Going back to the original post about the hole being in the choke arm where a wire would normally be attached.

Did ford ever supply this said wire or they just stamped the hole in the part and left it up to the owner to do if need be? Seems odd to me they would go through the process of providing a crank and all the necessary parts to use said crank to start the engine and not provide some part or guidance to actually choke the car to start.

Or am i thinking about this all wrong and the choke rod would stay in the closed position (shouldn't due to the spring correct?) so you could crank start then run around and open the choke thru the passenger side while it was coughing.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Darryl,
I know one to add to your '3 things' , that will make you even more cranky or maybe less able to do any more cranky .
If you do not keep your THUMB on the proper side of the cranky handle...you may never crank again !
Yes , I forgot to mention about keeping your thumb intact. I always show everyone who is observing the crank start procedure how to hold the handle and where your thumb is supposed to be to avoid injury. Of course there would be #5, don't have your Timing to far Advanced, so as to avoid kick back.

As a kid, several "Old Timers" taught me a lot, one being was how to crank start an engine the proper way.

Oops, I said I would not use that term on the Barn anymore.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #23
ian Simpson

Back in the early 60's I had a Bedford van followed by a Ford Thames van (both British) to transport my racing motorcycles. Both had weak batteries and often needed a crank to start. My then girlfriend was less than impressed and often walked home while I tried to get them fired up. Some girls just prefer the smooth guy with the reliable vehicle!

I know this is way off topic, but I was not the first to mention girls.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #24
mhsprecher

I hand cranked my 30 Town Sedan for the first time recently just to show my son if it could be done. It was warmed and started right up. It was the first time I had ever tried. The crank bearing plate is off center on my roadster, so the crank doesn't fit well. I am fixing that as I want to be able to crank it for show or necessity.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #25
B.SUTTON

On the topic of cranking: I recently purchased a fairly complete chassis with a stuck engine. Wanted to use the hand crank while working the engine loose. I grabbed the crank from my '30 Tudor and found it wouldn't fit through the crank bearing on the front crossmember. The chassis looks to be pieced together over the years, but the frame itself is an early '28. My crank fits fine on the Tudor so why not on the earlier chassis? Did Ford change the diameter of the hand cranks over the years?
B.SUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
Purdy Swoft

The crank guide has probably been hammered down and bent in an attempt to better fit the radiator. I've seen front crossmembers that had been patched under the crank guide and U bolts that would cause the bottom of the radiator to see saw on top of the crank guide. In such cases the crank guide may get hammered. Just a guess .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #27
Wooden wheel

Hi there Purdy.I would agree with you too, not much strength required just technique, Our 30 phaeton will start every time on the third pull up. After reading these threads I can see a number of Model A owners going out to the shed to see if the handle works!!!!!
Three safety things I would like to add to the other threads : firstly don't forget to retard your spark before cranking and secondly keep your thumb on the same side of the crank handle as your fingers also only lift on the handle don't push down. Backfires can break arms and wrists. Happy cranking
Wooden wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #28
bikejunk

Ok I am one of those guys that only uses the crank to adjust timing , so I decide to start the A with the crank, well now I have a new toy!! starts right up might never use that new fangled starter again. thanks I can only imagine how easey a model t is to start.
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote