Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
1930deluxe

Default Valve Inspection

I purchased this 1930 sedan last year, it was last driven in 1976. After removing the side cover I found a layer of sludge, rust and antifreeze in the valve galley. The antifreeze I added to the radiator after I purchased it last year. The radiator leaked so I drained the radiator.
I plugged the oil return holes in the valve galley and cleaned the valve galley the best I could. My concern is the antifreeze. Could it be a cracked block or leaking head gasket or a cracked head?
1930deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Valve Inspection

I think it may be any of the choices you give. I would remove the head and pan and see what I have before I started throwing parts at something I am unfamiliar with. Clean everything carefully and look for cracks, The ones I have seen are usually around the valves and run toward the cylinders, Also under the water pump boss and at the rear of the engine above where the accelerator bolt to the block. But they can be almost anywhere and some are very difficult to see. Hope for a blown headgasket. Cheapest fix.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

Definitely remove the pan and dipper tray to clean any anti-freeze out. Anti-freeze will ruin bearings very quickly. Most guys don't run it in these engines.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
kd4lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Most guys don't run it in these engines.
Re: antifreeze, was not aware of that. Other than just water, what is the preferred alternative?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

I think if you took a poll many, many people run a/freeze, especially in cold climates. A/ freeze also runs cooler I believe. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Ed in Maine

I use distilled water with a can of Anti-Rust/Water Pump Lubricant from your local auto parts store. I drain the water when the car is put away for the winter. Water does not leak out as easily as anti-freeze. When you replace your cylinder head and new gasket be sure to use Permatex head gasket spray on sealer (2-3 coats on the gasket, head and block. Torque it down (55 ft.lb.) and torque it 4-5 times as the engine is warmed up. Torque it down at first 5 minutes after the first run and then after 10 minutes after the next start. You don't want to blow by the head gasket at the very first running periods. Lets hope this solves your leakage problems. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
WHN

Antifreeze has a higher boiling point than water. Your engine will not run cooler using antifreeze.

We have never used antifreeze in any of the Model A’s we have owned. We also put them away in the fall and drain radiator. We use distilled water and rust inhibitor.

This like motor oil, or thermostats. Everyone has a view. You have to do what you think is right for you and your car. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Definitely remove the pan and dipper tray to clean any anti-freeze out. Anti-freeze will ruin bearings very quickly. Most guys don't run it in these engines.

Can anybody show us a study, testing, etc. that shows antifreeze will destroy Babbitt? I can see problems with lubrication when antifreeze gets in the engine but does it really destroy the babbit alloy?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Benson

Elmer,
Thanks for the call

Last edited by Benson; 07-14-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

Mike V, anti-freeze itself may not destroy bearings but it is a very poor lubricant, so will not provide the bearings any protection from friction.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote