Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
broderchamp

Default Starter Solenoid

I'm working on my 49 pick up with 6 volts. I bought a new solenoid from NAPA. I told the parts guy that it was 6 volts. He only showed one and it said 12 volts. I installed it and it does't work with the starter button, but will work by using the button on the unit. I tried jumping from the battery (-) cable on the solenoid to the term on the front and nothing happens. Any ideas? Dennis
broderchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Starter Solenoid

WHY did you buy it if you knew it was 12V. HUH. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderchamp View Post
I'm working on my 49 pick up with 6 volts. I bought a new solenoid from NAPA. I told the parts guy that it was 6 volts. He only showed one and it said 12 volts. I installed it and it does't work with the starter button, but will work by using the button on the unit. I tried jumping from the battery (-) cable on the solenoid to the term on the front and nothing happens. Any ideas? Dennis
Wrong solenoid, no workie .. And you wonder why???? Duh!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

You should have an EHC ST53 solenoid.(clearly marked 6 volt)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6v.jpg (17.7 KB, 24 views)
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Dont know what these guys are thinking,need 6V and they buy a 12V. and knowing its 12V. on top of it. ?????????????? ken ct. Thanks Russ.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Parts counter help isn't what it used to be. Some of these parts like the Echlin ST53 have been around for years but the new guys haven't.

You might try the www.napaonline.com web-site then find your nearest store and plug in the vehicle details. You can find out what they have before you go over there. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
broderchamp

Thanks for your help. I was pretty sure I screwed up buying this part. I questioned the parts guy but he showed me the parts book calling for this part for my truck. I'll use it on my rat rod when I change to twelve volts.
I've had a lot of fun with this truck and have used it to haul material to build a great house. When waiting in line to catch a ferry home with over a ton of tile in the back a voice told me to put my foot on the break and push down. I ignored the voice and ask my Jack Russell if he said anything. The voice came back with the same message so I pushed down on the break and the break line broke..These old Fords have a way of watching out for you. Thanks again for the help. Dennis
Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
37ford4dr

on my 37 the starter button grounds the connection on some later model cars the solenoid needs 12 v from the starter button to engage the starter....do yo know which type of starter circuit you have?
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
broderchamp

Carol and my wife just went out to the shop and tried grounding the starter button and it works great. Thanks for your input! Dennis
Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Sid the Maineiac

Glad to hear that you got good information after all and things worked out !! Enjoy that old Ford!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
tdlmomowers

I work for NAPA in Mansfield, Ohio. There is a Echlin Buyers Guide that can be used to identify most of our electrical parts. We have 4 countermen that have over 30 years of parts experience apiece. We have a time with some customers trying to tell us what they want. Either they don't have all the information available or they act like we should be mind readers. I know there is a lot of turnover in the Parts business and it is hard to keep knowledgeable people. What I don't understand is, why would someone buy a 12 volt solenoid when they wanted a 6 volt solenoid?
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I wish your NAPA was near me! I think ours differs, 30 countermen with 4 years experience between them!
I have a decent collection of catalogs, including the wonderful Echlin buyers guide, and try to use that and the partially useful NAPA online list to figure out numbers to ask for. The countermen are mostly quite young and don't know how to work a "book", so when the computer fails to give an answer on an ancient application their minds just grind to a halt!
My guide says that you want an ST 53, just as 51 Merc says...
For what it's worth, ST 56 is the 12V equivalent, actually referencing the 12 V early Ford bus line.
The key in hunting is "insulated base"...device is ungrounded, with the starter button providing the ground. Most common solenoids are grounded base with hot side fed by the starter switch circuit...when you hit the right piece in the Buyer's guide, you will usually find a cross reference to an actual early Ford part number to confirm things.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Newc

Hi all; The last year for a 'push starter button' solenoid was '50. '51's used a key start and a different solenoid. Many parts guys miss this. All 6v units. Am I right guys? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I think so, for cars. Pickups...I think early Ford type solenoid through '51, then '52 got the later solenoid but with a 2-pole button instead of putting it on the key. That button is used to convert early Ford dash to more modern straters...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
tdlmomowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I wish your NAPA was near me! I think ours differs, 30 countermen with 4 years experience between them!
I have a decent collection of catalogs, including the wonderful Echlin buyers guide, and try to use that and the partially useful NAPA online list to figure out numbers to ask for. The countermen are mostly quite young and don't know how to work a "book", so when the computer fails to give an answer on an ancient application their minds just grind to a halt!
My guide says that you want an ST 53, just as 51 Merc says...
For what it's worth, ST 56 is the 12V equivalent, actually referencing the 12 V early Ford bus line.
The key in hunting is "insulated base"...device is ungrounded, with the starter button providing the ground. Most common solenoids are grounded base with hot side fed by the starter switch circuit...when you hit the right piece in the Buyer's guide, you will usually find a cross reference to an actual early Ford part number to confirm things.
Yes, there is no replacement for experience. We depend on the paper catalogs as much as the computer catalogs. There are parts that just can't be found on the computer. Mechanical wisdom helps also. I worked as an Industrial Truck Mechanic for 32 years before I went to work for NAPA. I don't like to see anyone walk out of our store without parts in hand. We try to go an extra step to help everyone that stops in. NAPA has availability for a lot of parts for antique cars, but we have to be willing to dig sometimes to find them. The young kids are lost if they can't find it on the computer.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I think so, for cars. Pickups...I think early Ford type solenoid through '51, then '52 got the later solenoid but with a 2-pole button instead of putting it on the key. That button is used to convert early Ford dash to more modern straters...
My '52 F-7 still has the single wire solenoid with the push button on the dash.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
37ford4dr

good job!!!
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote