Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
cederholm

Default 8BA electrical question

Hi guys, I have a few more questions regarding my 1952 8BA, but firsts a little history. I want (and have wanted for a long time) to build a traditional AV8 hot rod and about 10 years ago I won an ebay auction on a non-running AV8 complete motor and trans. In retrospect it was a risky move on a motor that I knew NOTHING about. I think beer may have been involved in my bidding process. Anyway, I won and drove to Pennsylvania from NYC to claim my prize. My then pregnant wife was not amused. The motor came from some farm related truck and the transmission had a PTO so I sold that pretty quickly. I carefully pulled the motor apart and bagged and labeled everything. The motor had a spun rod bearing and damaged crank and rod, but after removing tons of gung the block looked very good. Then life got in the way and the motor was moth-balled in a dry shed.

Cut to a month ago and the Hot Rod projects is back in my sights and the 8BA is top of the list. With the help of this board and advice from Ol’Ron, I’ve brought my block to Gary at The Motor Shop (GOSFAST) – and man am I glad I did. He’s cleaned and tested the block and says it’s one of the finest block to come through his shop in a long long time. The current plan in to take the cylinders to 40 over and go with a 4” crank. He’ll do the machine work and supply the parts, I’ll assemble – because I like that kind of stuff!

Okay, sorry for the ramble – on to my questions. Cleary I’ll need to upgrade some parts to use with 12v and I need advice.

• Distributer – I hear I need to find Bubba. Can he upgrade my stock unit or are there other options?
• Starter – I’ve recently had a 1953 Chevy starter converted to 12v for an old inline six. Can I do the same here?
• Generator – can this be converted to 12v?

I’d love to reuse as much of the Henry stuff as I can!

Thanks,
Carl
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 8BA electrical question

Distributer doesn't care about voltage (6v vs 12v), need to be sure the coil / ballast resistor combo is correct. Bubba is a good source for a rebuild.

A 6v starter will work on 6v or 12v, pos or neg ground. However they can also be updated from 6v to 12v.

The generator has to be putting out 12v, I'm not sure what is the best approach here. I like the generators converted to alternators (hid inside the original case) but that is not a cheap approach.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
flatjack9

Actually the generator will put out 12 volts if you install a 12 v regulator. The generator can be converted to 12v with field coils from a 12v Ford generator.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
cederholm

Interesting, where can I find out more? Is this something I can do or my auto electric guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Actually the generator will put out 12 volts if you install a 12 v regulator. The generator can be converted to 12v with field coils from a 12v Ford generator.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Brendan

is your fan run off the generator?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Some folks use the 1956 Ford type 12-volt generator. It can be made to fit in an 8BA cradle with a bit of work.

The stock Load-O-Matic is fine for stock applications but a Chevy or Chrysler distributor can be set up to work an 8BA very effectively with the right mods.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
cederholm

I honestly don't remember. It was 10 years ago when I took it apart. I'd need to look at the old photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
is your fan run off the generator?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
rotorwrench

The fan can be an issue with the AV8 builds. Model A cars don't have much space between fire wall and radiator. The 28/29 cars also have less vertical space than the 30/31 types. It all can be overcome but it's not as easy with the 8BA type engines as it is with the earlier types. There is a lot of info on the HAMB about AV8 builds. Some go as far as to use the frontal components and cam from the earlier series of engines to simplify the fit some but that has to be decided in the engine build stage before it gets set in stone.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
cederholm

Thank you for the warning, I had read post about clearance issues - I will search around the HAMB for more info on the subject.

~ Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The fan can be an issue with the AV8 builds. Model A cars don't have much space between fire wall and radiator. The 28/29 cars also have less vertical space than the 30/31 types. It all can be overcome but it's not as easy with the 8BA type engines as it is with the earlier types. There is a lot of info on the HAMB about AV8 builds. Some go as far as to use the frontal components and cam from the earlier series of engines to simplify the fit some but that has to be decided in the engine build stage before it gets set in stone.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #10
Frank Miller

Not sure what you're doing for carburetor but if you have more than one use a chevy conversion from Charlie ny or bubba. The original loadamatic can work ok but it's not the best and seeing you're going to 12 volt it won't look that out of place. The generator give you a nostalgic look but an alternator would be most efficient.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

With an alternator that looks original you get both.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote