Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
henry's 31

Default Re: On german roads with a trailer

Thank you for sharing the photos, my last assignment to beautiful Germany was Heidelberg and I also traveled the same roads in your map. I never saw a MOdel A on the road or I would have followed you to talk to you. Great car, great photos, great Country.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

I'd like to go there just once! I'd like to meet my daughter in Amsterdam just once when she comes home from S.A. (The "Kingdom") I've been to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England more times but never the continent. I stood on the chalk cliffs of Dover and looked across at France (Ferry fare 8 Lbs) and was told by my highly resistant wife "No! I'm not going to France!" In reality, she meant I'm not going to any country that isn't English speaking! Don't mention foreign travel in this home or you see a real knock down drag out which I'll win on points, but she'll win in actuality because she won't budge. My kid inherited my genes, because she's been everywhere and currently lives in Saudi Arabia.
A bitter subject!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I'd like to go back to Germany just for the bread. I don't understand why I can't find the same good bread in this country that I had over there in 1987.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
kd4lok

Quote:
I'd like to go back to Germany just for the bread. I don't understand why I can't find the same good bread in this country that I had over there in 1987.
AMEN to that. I love the German bread, and most of their other food if I am honest with myself.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #24
Ray in La Mesa

My travels in Germany were in a newer car('70 VW bus) in 1970-1971 while in the Army stationed at Zwibrucken Air Force base. In two years I put 36,000 miles on it in western Europe. Most favorite were the 18 trips to Swiss Alps, Yes, I did all the work Uncle Sam wanted of me too. Was turned off on British warm beer in the 6 months before so drank A LOT of great wine.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
Pilotdave

Great photos and a beautiful country to see! Thanks for posting them, Christoph. Perhaps some day you'll get to tour this country in a Model A.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #26
jrelliott

Love the pictures! What a beautiful country. Know about heaters. We had two popup tent campers and pulled them many a mile here in the US. First one used a catalytic heater which gave us headaches. The next camper had a propane forced air heater which came in very helpful when camping in Yellowstone in the summer and had snow. Three times we were in snow around the Fourth of July in Yellowstone. Olympic peninsula of Washington in the rain can be very cool also.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #27
Christoph

Once you love german bread (germany has got most different types of bread on this planet), you need to come again and i will help you to raise your love to german sausages ( Jaaaa - most different types of sausages on this planet) 😊 Funny – once you go 300miles to the left äh sorry west, shops just will offer something called sandwhich which aint really bread (sorry my friends in netherlands – i got to say the truth). Once i travel, i love to come back home due to bread and sausages.

@Henry31 As said earlier, most pre-war-cars where killed in WW2. Remaining ones where scraped in "Wirtschaftswunder". Most actual old cars came (back) from other countries. My Model A talks Dutch (i bought it in netherlands) Next model A (known to me) is located 100 miles away. No parts to find here! EVERY spare-part to be bought in USA (at MACs or Snyders)

@Terry Good, that your woman is american 😊 btw Europe has got lots of languages. So the only language to „work“ anywhere is english. Best English language-education is in scandinavia. All sandinavian people (Norway) talk perfect english (Of course you can survive in germany just talking english).

@Ray Im with you. Swiss Alps are just “marvelous“. We did them 2 years ago on our way to Rome and we loved to be there https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/chri...-t5295612.html

All of you have a great "A" -day
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #28
3.6rs

Quote:
The bread isn't the same anymore as in 1987.
But if you want I can look for a 1980's bread on the flea markets...
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:29 AM   #29
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
Once you love german bread (germany has got most different types of bread on this planet), you need to come again and i will help you to raise your love to german sausages ( Jaaaa - most different types of sausages on this planet) 😊 Funny – once you go 300miles to the left äh sorry west, shops just will offer something called sandwhich which aint really bread (sorry my friends in netherlands – i got to say the truth). Once i travel, i love to come back home due to bread and sausages.

I was in Germany in 1966, and was on a Rhine River cruise about a month ago. I love the German sausages, especially bratwurst as well as Model A's. Unfortunately I didn't see any Model A's when I was there, but wonderful scenery and people. I did see several places where people had campers/trailers along the river. Enjoy your Model A and trailer!
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #30
Terry, NJ

I'm getting forgetful and I don't like going alone, but My great great Grandfather came from a place called Breitenbach, in Bavaria and I'd like to see it. Another ancestor came from Giesen, Brabant in Nederlands, My G.G. Grandmother came from Schweiz (Helvetia). I've met my Irish and English relatives (Co Roscommon and Mousely, Leiscestershire. Most Americans have relatives in Europe and feel strong pulls to visit and see it.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post

@Henry31 As said earlier, most pre-war-cars where killed in WW2. Remaining ones where scraped in "Wirtschaftswunder". Most actual old cars came (back) from other countries. My Model A talks Dutch (i bought it in netherlands) Next model A (known to me) is located 100 miles away. No parts to find here! EVERY spare-part to be bought in USA (at MACs or Snyders)

@Terry Good, that your woman is american 😊 btw Europe has got lots of languages. So the only language to „work“ anywhere is english. Best English language-education is in scandinavia. All sandinavian people (Norway) talk perfect english (Of course you can survive in germany just talking english).

@Ray Im with you. Swiss Alps are just “marvelous“. We did them 2 years ago on our way to Rome and we loved to be there https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/chri...-t5295612.html

Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
Brad in Germany

Gruß dich Christoph,

Wow, you are really having some fun touring all over Europe. I always wanted to drive our Cabriolet up in the Alps of Switzerland, but never made it that far away from Wiesbaden when we live there in Germany.

Love these photos from your trip to Italy, through CH:

gute Fahrt,
Brad
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #32
Christoph

@3.6rs good one
@Ken as said... not too many pre-war-cars around here....
@Terry i know
@Brad Wow - this is loooong time we didnte have contact. Still see our cars in Hattersheim (Lufthansa-Klassik-Days) side by side YEARS ago. Ja we have lots of fun and we do lots of touring. I am sad for you that you didnt grap the chances back than. You got to come back

All of you have a GREAT A-day
Christoph
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #33
30Ford

I was in Germany last fall and was talking to a man in Walsrode and he said he had 5 Model A's and Mustang

30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #34
Cornishman

It looks like a good trip. I know Germany well as I lived there between 1986 and 2013 but always further north near the Eifel. I travelled everywhere though. I bought my Model A since leaving Germany but found it close to the Schwarzwald in Alsace. Hopefully I will get the chance to use it on some Bavarian roads before too long.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #35
Christoph

We frequently cruise along Rhine-River as this is about 1 hour drive to get there. Nice surrounding and nice people/tourists to meet there, but lots of traffic.
We never met any other "A" or "T" while cruising and sadly it is a VERY rare event to meet an other pre-war-car on open roads

Have a nice weekend
Christoph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8602a.jpg (50.1 KB, 19 views)