Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #41
codeplus

Default Re: oil pump

The engine builder won`t get to my motor till February. I`ll post what he finds in case this happens to anyone else.
codeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #42
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Hi Gary:

What ever came about that issue with the Navarro heads from CA?

So glad I still have mine that I go from Barney directly.

Thanks,

Tim
Hi Tim, every single "negative" issue we found on the Navarro heads couldn't be argued about out at H & H. Mike (Herman) seems to be directly involved in these "new" castings??

The heads would not go on a single build here unless these items were ALL addressed, I do have my doubts about that happening.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On side note here, we got to use the "Best" head gaskets for the very first time. They are acceptable as far as getting the job done, but working with them on our CNC machined tooling proved to be a "pain", for some reason the mfr left the edge of one of the metal fire-rings "hanging" into one of the head bolt holes, just happened to be the one we use for a "locating" dowel. It was a very minor issue but needed to be addressed before we could go ahead and "pin" the gaskets for the block dowels!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #43
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeplus View Post
The engine builder won`t get to my motor till February. I`ll post what he finds in case this happens to anyone else.

I would hope the builder you have doing this is not doing honda and toyota heads all day long or chevy stuff {causing the delay} and actually knows what it takes to build a Flathead correctly. Good luck
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #44
tubman

Quote:
Yes, please try to let us know what you find. I used a "Speedway" oil pump on the last engine I did. Upon initial fire-up, the oil pressure was quite a bit lower than I was used to, so (after some discussion here) I replaced it with a good known used Ford pump. My oil pressure is now back to where I think it should be. It would be informative to know if you also used a "Speedway" pump.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #45
Sid

Hi Gary:

Thanks,

Tim
Hi Tim, every single "negative" issue we found on the Navarro heads couldn't be argued about out at H & H. Mike (Herman) seems to be directly involved in these "new" castings??

I purchased a pair of Navarro heads two years ago also and was very disappointed in the quality of the casting. Very poor quality for the price. ..............Never again....
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #46
codeplus

Update: The guy that built the motor installed the gear on the cam that runs the oil pump
backwards. Surprised I had oil pressure to start at all. Not good.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #47
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Update: The guy that built the motor installed the gear on the cam that runs the oil pump
backwards. Surprised I had oil pressure to start at all. Not good.

I think you mean the idler gear between the oil pump gear and the cam gear was installed backwards. That would cause a fast failure of the drive from the cam to the pump since almost no gear mesh is made.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 12-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #48
codeplus

Thats what I meant.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #49
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Thats what I meant.

OK thats what I thought. Its possible the damage might not be bad especially if you shut the engine down once you noticed the pressure drop. At least the mystery has been solved.
Good luck
Old 12-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #50
hotrodcbx

I had a unusual problem in my '33 roadster with a stock 8BA. The oil pressure was good after a mild rebuild with a melling high volume oil pump. Suddenly the pressure dropped to ZERO. I shut the engine off immediately and dropped the pan. Everything looked OK until I dropped the oil pump and found the pump drive shaft had sheared completely about 2 inches up from the pump body. Had to be a metal issue. The pump turned over no problem. Put in a stock pump and everything is good after many miles.
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #51
codeplus

Damage is bad. Didn`t notice it soon enough.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:37 PM   #52
Desoto291Hemi

How Bad is bad ?

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 PM   #53
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Damage is bad. Didn`t notice it soon enough.

Dam sorry to hear that
Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 AM   #54
JM 35 Sedan

You might want to read this previous post, if you haven't already, on similar problem...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=Engine+seized

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #55
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Hi Gary:

Thanks,

Tim

I purchased a pair of Navarro heads two years ago also and was very disappointed in the quality of the casting. Very poor quality for the price. ..............Never again....
Sid,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about the poor quality.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #56
Bored&Stroked

Boy - sorry to hear about the drive gear issue and damage. It doesn't take very long to ruin the bearings - especially since pieces of gear teeth were probably pumped through them. Hopefully the crank journals are not scored . . .

Keep us posted and in the end, you'll have a fine running engine and you'll soon forget about all this drama.

Best of luck in 2020! It will be the "Roaring 20's" for you soon!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote