Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
pooch

Default Re: Toein

I purposely bought the REAL Crookedy Lumber, CHEAP & built RUSTIC lookin' BENCHES/ETC & salvaged through their "throw away" bin, for FREEBIES.
I also hung around the lot, lookin' for someone with a purchase that wouldn't fit in their car & made $$$$$$s, hauling it for them I should have bought an "AA" Flatbed!
Bill Moneyhungry _________________

Bill, with a real croookedy length of timber, you will say you can check the ACKERMAN angle of the steering as well....
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
glenn in camino

Adjust your tie rod. Check with Les's book.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #23
GPierce

Les Andrews book says the toe-in should be 1/16 +-1/32. The Model A Ford Service Bulletins on page 239 says 3/16” to 1/4”
Which is it?
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #24
Bob C

The spec was changed. Page 283 of the Service Bulletins shows the 1/16" spec.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
GPierce

Thanks Bob. I missed that change.

Mine steers great but have noticed ridges forming on the inside of the ribs. Found the toe-in to be 7/16”.

Last edited by GPierce; 12-27-2019 at 05:55 PM.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
Patrick L.

Improper toe will certainly feather-edge/ wear the heck out of tires.

If one wants to set their toe in the privacy of there own home then a couple 3' lengths of angle iron drilled and shimmed to be bolted to the wheel mounting studs will work. I prefer 1/32-1/16" in. In is good, out is not. [smiley face]
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #27
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Not all Model a rims are perfectly true. A slightly bent rim can give you a false reading. I use the following method to set the toe in.

Drill a hole in a block of wood at a 45 degree angle just big enough to get a sharpie pen in the block of wood. The pen needs to be tight and stationary in the block. Jack up the front wheels just off of the floor one at a time. Place the block on the floor and the sharpie against a flat spot in the center of the tire tread of the jacked up wheel and hold the block in place. Slowly turn the wheel so that you make a center line on the tire. Repeat on the other front wheel. This method will give you a true measurement even if the rim is slightly bent. You will need two people to take the measurements. The measurement between the center lines is taken with both tires on the floor. Measure the distance in the front by placing the tape measure resting on the bumper braces. Measure the distance in the back by just kissing the tape measure up against the A bars. Loosen and turn the tie rod for the adjustment.

This method will give you an accurate setting.

P<S< It is sure good to see Bill W. posting again.....
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #28
ddweave

Sorry, that post was from 2 years ago.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
reggiedog

Get a dubie that's what ford used to get the model a's straight there about $95.00 for a new one, but you can buy a original one allot cheaper than that that's what I did works great even works on new cars and trucks.

That is if you know how to set the toe in on the newer cars and trucks that's what I would suggest you do that, and don't try making one as my neighbor did that and now he has what I have.

reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #30
Chuck Sea/Tac

The ford measurement is taken 6” s from the floor. It will measure different higher or lower than 6”s.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #31
reggiedog

What do you mean by that? Or do you have a Dubie now or had someone that has one help you out, as there not that expensive I think $95.00 is all as these Model A's always go out of alinement.

So if you can find a original one it would be best to buy one or a new one either way it will save you in the long run as that's what I did, and it's helped me out allot but I have looked for one for about a year for a original one.

and it was allot cheaper than the new ones but getting the new one would probably be more accurate than the original one are, and that is probably why I have to go and adjust mine all the time.

But look them up on the internet just type in Duby wheel alinement tool it should come up and you can see what these are, as they look just like the originals do as I only used mine once on a newer car as they will work on any car.

Good Luck Reggiedog
Old 12-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #32
reggiedog

your suppose to roll the car back and forth on level ground with the chains just touching the ground and the tool must be on the outside of the rim next to the tire, Look it up in your service manual book it will tell you how to do it.

Reggiedog
Old 12-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #33
Patrick L.

Front end geometry is pretty much the same on any vehicle, especially the old timers.
Toe should be 1/32" - 1/16" on just about anything.
Measuring at the rear then rolling the vehicle forward before measuring front just adds rolling pressure to try to force the front of the wheels out. Applying some hand pressure to the front of the tires will do the same.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote