Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
77Birdman

Default Re: Shipping

I have read complaints about shipping on other forums, I dont think there is any way around it. In todays climate of buying almost everything online shipping is only going to get worse. I am not a reseller but having come into quite a few spare parts with my last build I have found myself selling. To date most of the shipping goes through usps in a flat rate box which is pretty reasonable. I have a $70 part going to Australia and the shipping is about $40. Honestly didn't think it was that bad, then again its the cheapest rate and will take 3-4 weeks delivery. Price double for faster delivery.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #22
reggiedog

77 Birdman,

You know you are kind of correct on that as everything goes up in this economy there is no way out of it, as everyone is trying to make a buck more than the next guy so it does matter to shop around.

Plus if you are a retailer with say Millions of dollars in stock and you have allot of overhead, you have to keep up with the times and no I'm not a retailer now but I was years ago so I know how to do it.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #23
1928Mik

I am a retailer and we try to ship online with flat rates to keep pricing reasonable. Some we win and some we lose that way though, but it mostly balances out. What killed reasonable shipping rates was Amazon, where they would grab a huge box for a pair of shoes and then fill it with air pillows to take up the space. UPS and FedEx caught on and switched to dimensional rates, which drove all pricing way up. USPS is your best option if you can get a supplier to use them instead. They also use dim rates, but only on larger cartons.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That seems a bit sensitive to me. You would freak if you knew what we have to pay in freight! Prices START at $44.
yes, living in Australia provides carriers a good harvest. I'm looking everywhere to purchase a Gatsby type striped blazer. Yes found one in USA and freight was 90 USD. Life is great in Australia but isolation costs.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
ronn

placed an order online with Snyders tues afternoon. Just pulled it out of the mailbox 5 minutes ago.

complete order and shipping was about 10. everything fit in the size of a shoebox.

couldnt be more pleased!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in NJ
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #26
reggiedog

1928 Mik;

Now there I think you hit the nail right on the head on that one?, as amazon are the ones that started it and it's just going to get worse over time. as I think we're going to see more shipping wars one of these days just like when the Post Office was going to close its doors.

As they had to close down allot of offices just to stay in business, and I think it's all over the big box stores doing it and the online shopping that we all do now a days. As everyone I know went out for the black friday shopping now they just do it on their computers.

Reggiedog
Old 12-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #27
1931 flamingo

I ordered something from C&G in CA a while back. Wanted it "quick". Got a phone call about an hour later, said it would be about 35$, said 2 day would be about a third. Thank You very much ! ! ! Got it in 2 days.
Great service ! ! !

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #28
rocket1

What I do not like is when Amazon has a distribution center in your state it's tax plus shipping!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #29
Jim M

Bert's IS number 1. We are lucky to have them.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
yes, living in Australia provides carriers a good harvest. I'm looking everywhere to purchase a Gatsby type striped blazer. Yes found one in USA and freight was 90 USD. Life is great in Australia but isolation costs.
We're not the ones who live in a far away place - they are!!
That said, there are huge advantages in being here, not there.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #31
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That said, there are huge advantages in being here, not there.
Yeah, like not having rained for a year. Locals fighting about water as it is all going on the fires. Smoke and ash dumps that makes Beijing look like a health resort. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else?

Rockauto was good while it lasted. I needed a heater blower motor for my Mitsubishi a few days ago. Mitsubishi quoted $1134 for an 18 years old car. Mitsubishi here is one of the highest tax paying companies.
Now Rockauto had one for US$20 and US$15 Fedex shipping.
From past experience if they send the wrong part, they ship it back and ship a replacement in about 3 days. Now you just get a message about not being able to process our local tax.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #32
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Yeah, like not having rained for a year. Locals fighting about water as it is all going on the fires. Smoke and ash dumps that makes Beijing look like a health resort. Why would anyone want to live anywhere else? Don't get shot at?

Rockauto was good while it lasted. I needed a heater blower motor for my Mitsubishi a few days ago. Mitsubishi quoted $1134 for an 18 years old car. Mitsubishi here is one of the highest tax paying companies.
Now Rockauto had one for US$20 and US$15 Fedex shipping.
From past experience if they send the wrong part, they ship it back and ship a replacement in about 3 days. Now you just get a message about not being able to process our local tax.
That's the reason some US vendors don't ship here. Thank the idiots in Canberra!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #33
ronn

What I do not like is when Amazon has a distribution center in your state it's tax plus shipping!

everything internet is now taxed in NJ- since May of this year. thank the governor!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #34
reggiedog

oh; it's down to that now, ebay has been fighting that for years now so they must of lost also. As the government has to get there two cents into everything.

Reggiedog
Old 12-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #35
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
oh; it's down to that now, ebay has been fighting that for years now so they must of lost also. As the government has to get there two cents into everything.

Reggiedog
We are the government,It's of the people,for the people,by the people,or something to that effect,just need to vote for the right people.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #36
ronn

yes reggie,

Ive cut my purchases on ebay way back. I now look at an item and most of the time go- dont need that and there you have it!

the cheat is to get an address in DE, which is 45 minutes from me. then you are back to no sales tax and Im sure many co's do just that. not worth it for the small guy.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #37
reggiedog

You got that right? as that is what they do on ebay only though what you buy on here I don't think is that way at all, as most of the barn people won't cheat you as there all barn people themselves.

Reggiedog
Old 12-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #38
ronn

agreed Reggie- I now try to buy elsewhere off of the bay.

I was spending about 1500 a month and am now down to around 200 a month.

that has to hurt ebay quite a bit, at least from people like myself. who knows, maybe others dont care..........?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #39
eagle

Shipping is expensive, yes. But on the other hand I can hand off a box to my local mail carrier and he will hand deliver it to an address 1500 miles away in 3 days, all for less than 8 bucks. I call that a bargain!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #40
old31

OK, this is why I never use Macs. I just gave them 1 more try and they failed again terribly.

I ordered the same parts with both companies. The exact same order for parts with Snyders was $12.00 cheaper.

SHIPPING
Macs charged $34.09 for 3-7 days.
Snyders charged $13.50 for 2 days.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote