Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Flathead "spark knock" ???????

Been building these ignitions for many, many years and have had very very few issues with spark knock !!!
At approx 9-1 compression ratios and todays fuel ( actually very good) its just pretty damn hard to make a flathead spark knock.
However i have had a few (4-5) customers wanting me to slow the advance rates don and limit the advance on a flathead ignition rebuild.

Heres what one customer said today??

Jim i am sending the rebuilt crab that I got recently from you along w/ my older Mallory that you also did a long time ago. See if you can tell the difference in the Mallory vs/ the crab, and if possible, set the crab like the Mallory. I left the vacuum brake almost all the way down, it would knock under partial throttle, especially in 2nd gear. High RPM at full throttle, no knock, but low power. Like I said, the Mallory ran very well after you set it up. Let me know what I will owe you and I’ll get a check to you as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Open for discussion ??? I will add the actual numbers as i have the time to put on machine.....

Kurt
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote