Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
sphooch

Question Here's one for ya ???

Hey guys : for all you electrical wizards see if you can help me with this. came back from a show 2 weeks ago , parked her in the garage , went to back her out the other day and NO START. went through all my testing , installed new point , coil , reset timing , n/ g . SO LAst ITEM THE KEY SWITCH , here's where it gets interesting, i have 6 volts to one side of the sw. turn the key to on and i not only don't have 6 volts on the opposite side but i loose the voltage on the coil side ?? So i disconnect the ign. sw. shunt the 2 wires together and Walla , we start up and run fine. so one would think replace the IGN. SW. right?? so i get a new one , install it and right back to square one??any one ever run into this problem? both switches bench test fine with 6 volts. by the way its a31 rdst. and modern points from a 50's to 70's ford. ANY HELP AS ALWAYS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Here's one for ya ???

There is a connection somewhere with some resistance, enough to drop the voltage. The problem is not in the ignition switch. You proved that by switching it out. Check all the connections from the battery to the switch and while you are at it from there to the coil and distributor. Use some conductivity electrical grease, available at any hardware store, and make sure all the connections are shinny metal. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the clip where the after market fuse sits next to the starter terminal. Shinning up the clip and some conductive grease fixed the problem.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...You might consider looking to see if your ignition switch is shorting to your fuel tank...It happens...cover the area behind the switch with black tape or duct tape. Also examine the connection on the incoming wire to see if there is bare or loose wire that could jump a spark to the tank...the crimp might have worked loose...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
jg61hawk

I ditto Ernie....Try starting with the "new" switch hanging out and not installed. Sounds like a dead ground somewhere close and easy....now that you did the hard work.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphooch View Post
Hey guys : for all you electrical wizards see if you can help me with this. came back from a show 2 weeks ago , parked her in the garage , went to back her out the other day and NO START. went through all my testing , installed new point , coil , reset timing , n/ g . SO LAst ITEM THE KEY SWITCH , here's where it gets interesting, i have 6 volts to one side of the sw. turn the key to on and i not only don't have 6 volts on the opposite side but i loose the voltage on the coil side ?? So i disconnect the ign. sw. shunt the 2 wires together and Walla , we start up and run fine. so one would think replace the IGN. SW. right?? so i get a new one , install it and right back to square one??any one ever run into this problem? both switches bench test fine with 6 volts. by the way its a31 rdst. and modern points from a 50's to 70's ford. ANY HELP AS ALWAYS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks THE HOOCH

That sound right if the points are closed. The ignition switch is between the points to coil ground path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring-diagramcolor2sm.jpg (82.1 KB, 17 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
mass A man

It sounds to me like a problem under the distributor plate, namely the tab that contacts the ignition switch cable terminal, either cracked, bent and shorting when you open and close the key switch button
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote