Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
tinman080

Default Early '30's speedster, making and gathering parts

I'm getting a few things together for an Indy Ford-style speedster. The left and right dash panels are commercial brass door push panels I drilled for a GPS speedometer and Bosche gauges. The speedometer surround bezel I cut from 3/16'' aluminum plate to match the surplus F-4 aircraft gauge surrounds. A push-button start switch finishes off the driver panel. The right side I centered an aircraft- inspired rally clock. Both panels will be mounted with stainless hex bolts and washers. The steering wheel is a 18'' Kenworth wheel I brushed the chrome finish and ordered a Ford tie-tac and installed it onto the center hub of the wheel. lol My headlamps are '31 Ford. The body will be a boat-tail speedster style, steel on a tube framework. The chassis is a '98 Ranger, 4 cylinder and 5 speed. A '31 hood and '32 grill shell. A strange mix, but I think it will be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0916171548 (Small).jpg (55.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 1230171836a_Burst01(1) (Small).jpg (57.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 0916171543 (2) (Small).jpg (82.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 0116181437 (Small).jpg (83.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 0318171806a (2) (Small).jpg (26.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Early '30's speedster, making and gathering parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman080 View Post
I'm getting a few things together for an Indy Ford-style speedster. The left and right dash panels are commercial brass door push panels I drilled for a GPS speedometer and Bosche gauges. The speedometer surround bezel I cut from 3/16'' aluminum plate to match the surplus F-4 aircraft gauge surrounds. A push-button start switch finishes off the driver panel. The right side I centered an aircraft- inspired rally clock. Both panels will be mounted with stainless hex bolts and washers. The steering wheel is a 18'' Kenworth wheel I brushed the chrome finish and ordered a Ford tie-tac and installed it onto the center hub of the wheel. lol My headlamps are '31 Ford. The body will be a boat-tail speedster style, steel on a tube framework. The chassis is a '98 Ranger, 4 cylinder and 5 speed. A '31 hood and '32 grill shell. A strange mix, but I think it will be fun.
Sounds/looks like great fun and boat tailed is a favorite style. All looks great to me...except that steering wheel (?) !
Let us see the metal work as you proceed on the cowl and tail section. Are you metal work skilled ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
tinman080

I have a little experience with metalwork. The steering wheel is not set in stone, but I do want a big one. We will see. lol I have an English wheel, a beader, a tubing bender plus all the body shop tools you could shake a stick at, having done it professionally for over 40 years. I'm always willing to learn, so holler if you have any good advice. Gary
Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
I have a little experience with metalwork. The steering wheel is not set in stone, but I do want a big one. We will see. lol I have an English wheel, a beader, a tubing bender plus all the body shop tools you could shake a stick at, having done it professionally for over 40 years. I'm always willing to learn, so holler if you have any good advice. Gary
Hey Gary,
'good advice'...Yes, can you move all your stuff in next door and teach a 'youth' the metal trade !

I know an OLD guy who raced speeders back many decades ago. He is putting together another one from parts that he has had left over from the olden days. Awesome old guy, as he doesn't even have a driver license, but the 'fire still burns' in him for the need for speed !

I do speedster bench racing with him as often as we can. Smart guy about building A/B hot engines too.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
tinman080

Hardtimes I worked on everyone elses cars for all those years, Since I've retired I'm doing them for ME! LOL Gary

Last edited by tinman080; 01-31-2018 at 02:24 AM.
tinman080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 AM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Hardtimes I worked on everyone elses cars for all those years, Since I've retired I'm doing them for ME! LOL Gary
Perfectly understandable !
Still like to see progress pictures , especially of tail and cowl build. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
old31

I like everything, except the steering wheel.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
I like everything, except the steering wheel.
I agree. Too modern. A couple of years ago, I saw a guy at the National Roadster show who made reproductions of antique steering wheels. He probably has a website that you can find using Google.

I also saw a speedster on YouTube that had a Model T steering wheel.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
tinman080

I have a 4 spoke wooden wheel also. I would like to find a nice Bell wheel, but I want a big one (expensive). 14 or 15 inch won't do it for me. So until I find the ideal wheel, the 18'' modern wheel will do. All of my cars have had parts switched out or changed as circumstances allow during their builds. I have a 17'' T wheel on my REO. The other cars have tillers....lol Gary
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Tinbasher

If you don't have a lot of metal skills, a trick to make a boat tail is to use a hood from the 40's early 50's and split it down the middle. Then flip the outer edges to the middle. It will take some trimming of the edge but works. Once you have the shape you want then you weld the center up.

The Old Tinbasher.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote