Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #21
Ed Wendell

Default Re: Radiator soldering

WLPrinter,
In my dad's radiator shop for flux we used powdered "soldering salts" you mix with water.
You may have a problem finding small quantities. You will want a couple of the horse hair acid brushes. A good reference is Johnson's: http://www.johnsonmfg.com/temp/powder.htm. or http://www.superiorflux.com/spec/TDS_Tara_350.pdf
A Presto-Lite plumbers torch works great: A good reference is: https://www.gesswein.com/
Clean the surface well, coat it with flux, put about 1/4 inch of wire solder on it and use a flux coated brush to tin both the tank area and the anchorage. Use a ratchet strap to hold the anchorage tight against the core, them have someone use an old large screwdriver to hold the end down while you sweat the solder in thru the holes. Cool it with flux or a water bottle, then take the screwdriver away.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
katy

50/50 solder used to be very common, I would guess that is what was originally used on radiators.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #23
Tinbasher

The trick is to clean all of the surfaces first and then tin them with a thin coat of 50/50 solder. This is what we use to use for rad repairs. Then clamp the side supports into place. Furniture clamps work well and then heat the area. When the tinning starts to look shiny then add solder to the edge. It will wick in between the surfaces. Let it cool and then wash with baking soda and water to neutralize the flux and then rinse with water. If your worried about heat then wrap the tanks with wet clothes. Abut 2" back from where your working. I made the rad for my 28 because the core had a 6" hole through the middle of it. It can be done just take your time and get everything clean, clean, clean. JP

Last edited by Tinbasher; 12-02-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Wording.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
Gold Digger

I'm with Brent on soldering a radiator. Clean and tin first on both parts. I always used a small tip on a oxy/acet torch back when I had 5 dump trucks on the road. I used acid flux most of the time but have used both. Never had to take one to a radiator shop and soldered probably a hundred.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote