Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Right hand drive suggestions

I spend 99% of the time over on the Early V8 side but dad has a 30 Phaeton, right hand drive and here in FL its NO fun to drive with the exhaust manifold straight in front of the peddles and exhaust pipe running right (no pun intended) under your feat and seat SO what are the "Right" drivers out there doing to help with this issue??? And or pictures
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
mrraford

Default Re: Right hand drive suggestions

I help with a RHD Phaeton here in Oklahoma. It's almost like working on Deusenberg when it comes to finding parts related to the steering and brake system. Not many of those in this part of the country. Sure wish we could find some replacement parts.

When driving, the owner has a large Mickey Mouse doll that holds a steering wheel that rides in the left hand seat. Freaks folks out when they see that.

The unique setup of the RHD mechanisms are a small issue in comparison.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Jw

convert to Left hand Drive, Very easy job
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Keith True

I think I would convert it too.Everything is readily available,and it's a nut and bolt job.Many years ago I bought a 72 Kenworth that was RHD.Ordered for an oil company that went belly up before the truck was picked up.It had 35,000 miles on it and I could see why.Just terrible to drive here on our roads.Beside that,I just could NOT shift a 13 speed with my left hand.The guy that bought it changed it over to LHD.Almost everything was the same from right to left.Less than $100.in junkyard parts got it done.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Penthode

I am looking for RHD part to convert my LHD so I can use it overseas. If you do convert it please post and let us know.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
quickchange

Mrraford, RHD parts no problem , including the new short pitman arm , contact Arizona Model A or contact us , most parts are available , Why change it ?? we drive both here with no problems , in fact its fun driving a LHD on the left side of the road, one can keep closer to the road edge & its not often you can overtake a modern vehicle, Winter in NZ , ready for the MAFCA meet in Reno.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
Penthode

I have spent more than half of my life driving a RHD vehicle and prefer shifting gears with my left hand.

But you may have a point...
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
31Cabriolet68-C

You might try considering Snyder's muffler heat deflector. A-5230-HS..... Or you can just drool over the recent thread(s) on retrofitting those sleek 12volt AC units into some truly impressive Texas Cabriolets......
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C View Post
You might try considering Snyder's muffler heat deflector. A-5230-HS..... Or you can just drool over the recent thread(s) on retrofitting those sleek 12volt AC units into some truly impressive Texas Cabriolets......
A heat deflector won’t help. The problem is that the clutch and brake pedals go one each side of the red hot muffler pipe, then there is the steering column and accerator linkage openings in the floor and fire wall and hot air blasts in. The Model A IS NOT a very nice car to drive. It all comes back to Henry’s poorly thought through design. I’ve said all that before and been criticized for it by some who no doubt have never driven a RHD car. Armchair experts!
The only way I can see to help with this problem is to restrict as much as possible, the amount of hot air coming in. Because the pedals require a fairly large opening to operate (bent or poorly made pedal shafts), that is difficult. A plate on the pedal on the engine side of the firewall won’t work - there is not enough room so I wonder about using a brush like material on the inside so it flexes as the pedal moves but stays pretty much in contact with it to stop the heat, well, maybe reduce it!
In my closed car (1928 Tudor), I close the side windows and open the windscreen so that when the car is moving, there is a positive air pressure in there to stop the hot air coming in. So far, that is the best I have used.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:31 AM   #10
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
I am looking for RHD part to convert my LHD so I can use it overseas.

There are countries that completely ban RHD cars, including foreign plated cars, such as Saudi Arabia and Vietnam. Crazy but true. No country bans LHD cars that I'm aware of.

My vote is don't convert to LHD to solve the heat issue. Perhaps to stop the heat, would it be possible to wrap the muffler/exhaust pipe? Restoration Supply Company sells an asbestos lookalike material to wrap mufflers...many early brass cars came from the factory that way. And there's always standard 50' exhaust manifold wrap for $15 from Amazon. Also, as discussed recently, add some heat reflective material to the underside of the floorboards.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:20 AM   #11
quickchange

There is a RHD rubber pedal matt made, although does not have the metal insert as of original , It fits around pedals & steering shaft, Keeps most of the heat out from the front , Heat shield over the muffler also helps , Strange but never had this problem but maybe we are in a cooler climate.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
dave in australia

It's not a lot of fun on a 40C (104 f) day, but I just wind the windows down in the Tudor and tough it out.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #13
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
convert to Left hand Drive, Very easy job

fuel tank
starter linkage
accelerator linkage
pedals
bell housing
gearbox tower
brake cross shaft
firewall
floor boards
draglink
pitman arm
steering arms left and right
wiper
steering box/column + hole in frame
tail light
spark linkage
intake manifold
wiring to light switch
brake light switch

(?)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
There is a RHD rubber pedal matt made, although does not have the metal insert as of original , It fits around pedals & steering shaft, Keeps most of the heat out from the front , Heat shield over the muffler also helps , Strange but never had this problem but maybe we are in a cooler climate.
I have tried those mats but with very limited success. Pedal spacing varies so they don’t always fit very well and they come up off the floor with the pedals, especially the clutch. Judicious opening and closing of windows has been my best success on this but I’d love to have something better suggested. I’ve even considered a plate around the pedal shaft on this inside and a looong soft spring around the shaft which would hold the plate on the floor.
The main problem is caused by the movement of hot air into the cabin. I am yet to be convinced that heat and reflective shields achieve much but every bit helps.
It’s not pleasant on a 40 degree day to have HOT air blowing up your leg.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I drove a left hand British made car when I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in the USAf. No problems at all until trying to pass a large truck, etc on the small two lanes roads. You had to stick your nose out in the other lane in order to see if it was safe to pass.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #16
dumb person

lol, it's never been a problem for me.
Try that exhaust wrap insulation stuff, keeps my other cars engine bay cooler.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:17 AM   #17
Karl

Never been a problem for me . I currently have a phaeton so in hot weather the top is always off so plenty of ventilation . But I can't remember it being a problem with my previous Sports Coupe or Fordor either -Might just be our temperate climate The Right hand mats as per Quickchange mean little air flow round your feet. - Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
rockfla

Thanks to Synchro909 and a few of our "south of the equator" friends from "Down Under", We ( I ) do not want to swap over to Left Hand Drive, RHD is what makes things a little more interesting and is part of the history of the car. I'll start with a wrap and as far as the clutch and brake peddle openings I was thinking of using some EPDM rubber strips attached on the underside of the floor boards that leave a slit in the middle for the peddles to move freely but keep "most" of the opening closed off. EPDM will handle up to and about 1000 degee's F. Here in Florida is now 91 and up (F) and very humid for at least 8 months a year.....being a Phaeton its bearable to drive other than on your feet and legs!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #19
Manuel

Late model LHD cars are not generally allowed in Australia unless they are over 30 yrs old (collectable) or diplomatic/visitors.
Some garbage trucks have steering wheels on both sides.

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
john charlton

If you have all the parts conversion from one side to the other is very straightforward . Getting all the parts for converting from LHD to RHD is now very difficult in UK as many LHD imports have been converted and now RHD parts are very difficult to find . The hardest part to find is the little two ball arm which sits on the peg on the RHD inlet manifold . 28/29 frames are drilled both sides for LHD and RHD for the steering box but 30/31 frames are drilled whatever hand the vehicle left the factory with . I like LHD in an English winter and it does not bother me at all to be kerb side ,getting past a farm tractor on a country lane is only a minor bother and as my brother said "we are not paid rush money " To my surprise I found a RHD brake service shaft for $10 at the Bakersfield swap meet . The vendor did not know what it was and had no other RHD parts I did look hard to see if any other vendors had parts from the same car but no luck . The cross shaft had good lever clevis pin holes ,no wear and original paint so not off a South American car . Most likely an English car brought in by an American service man after his tour of duty in one of the big USAF bases here.

John in warm summers day Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote