Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post

I do somewhat understand Ford's numbering system. "Numbers matching" was once a term only used by the GM people, where it means something completely different.

On GM you could tell if major components were the one's a car left the factory with. On a Ford you can only tell if the part number and date code are consistent with ones built within a time frame the car would have been manufactured in. So a diligent restorer of a Ford can install a different part and still have it be consistent with the numbering system. On a GM, that's not possible. So even though the term has crept out of the GM camp and over to ours, it isn't the same thing. To the best of my understanding.

OK... Some BOW-TIE NUT is going to have to explain to me their version of numbers matching.

All manufacturers had to stamp VEHICLE VIN NOS (partial) on 68 up cars (engine-trans) as a means to thwart chop shops and that would give true meaning of NUMBERS CORRECT as I see it.

GM could not have stamped the VIN on every assembly part, other than an ID casting no. system similar to FOMOCO.

ATTACHED MAGAZINE ARTICLE- https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...sals-1.6154213

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote