Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #81
russellbdavis

Default Re: Shay reproductions

well, this listing is incorrect. No Shay was referred to as a Cabriolet, nor did it contain a 1.6L motor, they were all 2.3L motors.
russellbdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #82
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellbdavis View Post
well, this listing is incorrect. No Shay was referred to as a Cabriolet, nor did it contain a 1.6L motor, they were all 2.3L motors.
Be careful. This is an old thread that ran it's course more than two years ago and was only resurrected this evening with mine being the fourth post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellbdavis View Post
I am a Shay owner. I have a love for the model a and also wanted a Shay since they were offered in 1979. It seems that most of the comments about them are negative, by users who haven't seen them up close and personal. I will tell you if you park one next to a real model A, you will see the most accurate reproduction on the planet. I waited 35 years to own and finally got it in Nov. 2014. Harry Shay did substitute parts that were not standard model A issue; why I don't know. But I have been studying the model A and have slowly been replacing with authentic parts. What some you may not understand is that the Ford Corporation supported this effort and allowed Shay to fabricate these bodies directly from the patented model A drawings. These are not close approximations but extremely. accurate and respectful reproductions. I think the name used later by Camelot Motors; Modern A is really more appropriate. But when people ask I take the time to explain what it is truthfully.
Relax and enjoy what you have and don't try to change it to something it was never intended to be or you end up with neither. ENJOY IT!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #83
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Well, a lot of folks love to hate Pintos, but my brother had a '73 Pinto wagon, with the 2.0 litre German Ford OHC engine, in metallic brown.

When he got a newer car, he gave the Pinto to my Dad, who ran it back & forth from Baltimore to Wash. D.C. for several years... when we finally got rid of it, circa 1985, it had over 200,000 miles on it... original engine & tranny (which was showing signs of needing an overhaul).

Would I want another one? No... but it was decent transportation... heckuva lot better than the Vega or Chevette...

SC Frank
Hey wait a minute! I had two Vegas and enjoyed them both, especially the Cosworth.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #84
barkleydave

I had one of those! Actually liked it until it got squeezed between two trucks at the Chevy dealer while it was in for some minor work. They tried to fix it without telling me it was hit! Anyway made wonderful right hand turns after that so away it went. Thankful there was no Carfax at that time.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #85
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Just don't be telling people that they are a Model A Ford or writing 1929 Ford on the show card. They are a reproduction at best and close to being a kit car. Most owners are now experiencing very severe stress cracks in the Fiberglas. For those that either don't want or can't afford the real thing they serve a purpose. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-13-2015 at 11:20 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #86
TnA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
last spring, I bought a shay roadster as a daily driver. I love her [her name is Melmac] we put on over 7000 miles last year, rain ,snow or shine. its a fine shop truck as well. I can run for model a parts and at 27 mls per gallon I can afford real ford parts for my As. there , Ive had my Shay.lol
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #87
dlfrisch

Some may like the Shay and some might like the Branford Classic, I prefer the Real McKoy...a '28 through '31 Ford Model A.

A Shay or a Branford are like silicon breasts...they may look nice from far away but they ain't the real thing!

Dean

* Truer words were never spoken.....as Dean states
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #88
redmodelt

Funny to see this pop up, I was getting gas last night on the way home while out driving my T to see some T and A parts. The guy ahead of me was driving a black Shay roadster PU, haling stuff in the bed too!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #89
russellbdavis

I always explain mine. as a 1980. Shays were not kit cars, they were factory assembled in. Dearborn, Michigan. But I totally agree that no one should be trying to fool people that it is. anything but a Shay Model A. I just caught a guy selling one on ebay as a 1929 Model A. I called him on it because I knew it was a Shay and he needed to include that in his listing. Those black bumper clamps are a dead giveaway. But to an uniformed buyer that is fraud in my book.

Last edited by russellbdavis; 02-13-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: wanted to further explain. myself.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #90
RUNNERBUN

Ok, just got to put in my 2 cents worth. A Shay is like an Elvis Presley impersonator. There was and always be one Elvis, an Elvis Presley impersonator will always be an impersonator. There was only one Model A and always be only one model A. A shay is a Shay and will always be a Shay. Just call it what it is, a Shay. I think there is a place for a Shay, just call it what it is and there is no problem. IMHO
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #91
russellbdavis

I agree, I always refer to mine as a SHAY MODEL A. It is a MODEL A, it is also a FORD product, supported, promoted and endorsed by FORD. The FORD CORPORATION fully supported Harry Shay in this production, it is not some 3rd rate copycat of a vehicle or kit car that a few think it is, that someone sold trying to rob the MODEL A of it's glory. It was a tribute vehicle meant to honor the 50th anniversary of your prized possessions. It was never intended to replace them, but to bring renewed awareness and interest to the vehicle for its success in the automotive industry and to Henry Ford for his outstanding success with it. Selling the SHAY MODEL A did in fact stir up new interest in the product line.

I realize all MODEL A owners are very proud of their MODEL A's, and I support you.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #92
Synchro909

Shays were not available over here - Pintos either. I think that of they tried to sell them here, the "orphan" Pinto mechanicals would have sunk them. There would have been no after sales supply of parts.
That said, I think driving one would be fun.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #93
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Shays were not available over here - Pintos either. I think that of they tried to sell them here, the "orphan" Pinto mechanicals would have sunk them. There would have been no after sales supply of parts.
That said, I think driving one would be fun.
We had one running around town here, a Roadster, haven't seen it for awhile now. Must have been a used import. Took me quite some time to catch up with him (when he stopped at a shopping centre car park) to have a look. Went like the proverbial shower of @#%$. My first question was "What is it" He was proud of it, and to his credit he did refer to it as "A Shay"
And yes, it looked fun to drive. It certainly turned heads when taking off at the traffic lights.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 AM   #94
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Well, a lot of folks love to hate Pintos, but my brother had a '73 Pinto wagon, with the 2.0 litre German Ford OHC engine, in metallic brown.

When he got a newer car, he gave the Pinto to my Dad, who ran it back & forth from Baltimore to Wash. D.C. for several years... when we finally got rid of it, circa 1985, it had over 200,000 miles on it... original engine & tranny (which was showing signs of needing an overhaul).

Would I want another one? No... but it was decent transportation... heckuva lot better than the Vega or Chevette...

SC Frank
I also resent that! I still drive mine... 35 years old 38mpg...sure you aint going anywhere fast but it will get you there. If you think of it as a big street legal go kart it makes them really fun to drive. its been to downtown Chicago twice and fits everywhere in a big city! so easy to park.

anyways, ive seen a nice shay at a cruise in before. I too feel they have their special place in the history of automobiles and i don't mind if i see them mixed in with a model a group. Sure to me they look weird especially with the front suspension and 4 lug wheels but thats what makes them well THEM.