Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #121
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
You know your club's in trouble when the national magazine often features obituaries of members. OLD ( prewar) car enthusiasm is going away in favor of Corvetts and muscle cars
Glen,
Old car enthusiasm going away??? About as likely as chocolate shakes & beer becoming EXTINCT! I think as they get even older, they will be even more prized. There's so many Model A's out there & so many people are aware of their history & Ford Motor Company history & about Henry Ford, "THE MAD INVENTOR!" Bill W.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #122
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Glen,
Old car enthusiasm going away??? About as likely as chocolate shakes & beer becoming EXTINCT! I think as they get even older, they will be even more prized. There's so many Model A's out there & so many people are aware of their history & Ford Motor Company history & about Henry Ford, "THE MAD INVENTOR!" Bill W.
If you were to attend a Barrette-Jackson auction 20 years ago, there would have been a number of brass era cars going across the block. The collectors that appreciated those vehicles have died off and B-J no longer sells them. The sale of one of six Ford house cars for only $24,000 is a peek into the future. The market for cars built in the 1930's is shrinking as is the cars built in the 1940's.

Demographics are such that the buyers for Model A's are slowing shrinking. Don't forget that the postings on Fordbarn are biased and in the overall scheme of things, a lot of car collectors are liquidating.

Check back in 2025 and I suspect that Camaros and Mustangs built in the 1960's and 1970's will suffer the same fate.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #123
SDJason

I'm hoping that in another 15 years or so, as the Model A reaches its centennial mark, there'll be some renewed interest in them (in their more-or-less original state, NOT as a chopped apart shell that's been hot or rat rodded)
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #124
Mike Peters

I've got several Model A's as well as newer antique cars, as new as a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado. I can drive that big Caddy all day and hardly anyone looks, but people will break their arms off waving at one of my Model A's when we're out on the road. In fact, we hardly drive the Cadillac any more. A's are more fun. Gotta get away from this computer and get some work done on our Model A.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #125
ljones44

Most of the car collectors are just that. Very few actually work on their vehicles. Most of the owners of Model A's know every bolt and nut on their car several times over.

I'm a street rodder but my car is a Model A and rest assured I know every inch of my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Pictures 001.jpg (99.9 KB, 16 views)
ljones44 is offline   Reply With Quote