Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
amodel25

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

I had a 1928 Gardner owner tell me that he did not mess with Model "A's because they were "too easy".
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Roadster62

That brings back great memories of a friend with a 1927 Gardner Roadster. He did restore a Model A for a friend as well as many other cars and would say the time to restore a Gardner and a Model A were the same. Back then the sale prices were about double on other cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
I had a 1928 Gardner owner tell me that he did not mess with Model "A's because they were "too easy".
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
joeypoconos

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of "investors" that entered the hobby years ago. They buy up the big ticket cars, hold on to them for ???? year(s), then turnaround and sell, for what used to be, huge profits.
I would also guess the auction houses look at Model A's as marginal profit items. They would have to sell 100 model A's, to make the same commission as they would selling one Duesenberg or other classic.
I was at a car show with my Model A several years ago. A whole bunch of people were gathered around a full blown classic Packard. I walked up to the owner of the Packard and pointed to my Model A and kiddingly asked "would you like to trade?" He responded "How many of them do you have". Nuff said!
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
joeypoconos

Nothing grows faster than Oprah's butt!
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Ghost of elmirage

Well I for one LOVE As!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
tamagrouchy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just my 2 cents, but I believe the Model A, is regarded in the same way a VW Beetle is. It was (and is) an inexpensive (relatively), reliable car. They aren't fast, flashy, rare and have no bragging value, HOWEVER those of us with them know their worth. I say let the snobs turn their noses up at the Model A, they don't know what they're missing. Besides, at any cruise night, my humble roadster gets as much or more attention as the very expen$ive 60's muscle cars and as other have said, the A brings a smile to every ones face.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
ford31

I guess you either love em or hate em, I pull our pickup out of garage street is fairly busy, people will holler love your truck,what year is it,wanna sell it,can we look at it,bottom line makes my day
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
They are very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one and they are not a status symbol. They are cute liitle cars with possibly a million or so still in existance ! Even though I own many antique cars and 6 Model A's I still realize people don't respect them. I heard a comment at a car show to the affect that anyone can afford a Model A!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulShinn View Post
Excellent! A real answer. That's all I asked for. Thank you! I'll forward the info to her, this should make sense.
Boy that is a GREAT answer! I don't own one but would someday love to get a Model A - any body style, and as original as possible. Right now it's just another item on my 'bucket list' but I'm hoping.
Re: that they are "...very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one..." could just as easily apply to some who have stuck an SBC in their non-Chevies. I don't usually harp on others' cars except in fun, I realize they pay for 'em etc., but I get SO tired of hearing 'excuses' for putting those bellybutton engines in non-GM cars. Perhaps some of the 'snobs' sadly do consider those 'cheap, everybody does it, easier to get parts for, yadda yadda engines' to be a status symbol. Okay for status! I'd take an A or any other Ford with some of Henry's iron pulling it around any day, and never EVER put one of those bellybuttons (or the other anatomical orifice I like to call 'em sometimes ) in my Fords. 2 cents worth, with maybe some change please?
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
marty in Ohio

Don't you all think that people collect what they remember? If I still had that '68 Roadrunner that I drove in 1970 it would be worth $75,000 today. Not many people remember the Model A. When I take my '30 town sedan out and people gather to look, I usually ask if "they are looking or remembering." It's the most fun to talk to those who are remembering. It seems like everyone over 70 learned to drive in a car "just like this one."
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
[email protected]

Years ago my local Illinois Model A club was on a week long tour to the Michigan UP. One night we were at the same motel that a classic Lincoln club from the Detroit area happened to be staying as well. We had a good evening together bonding over our old cars. I noticed several differences between our two groups. We were mostly middle class workers and they were business owners. We were the beer drinkers and they were having martinis. They were amazed that we were on such a long tour as they seemed parinoid that they were to have a break down. I think they had a chase vehicle with a flat bed trailer following them as well. The next day when we were touring around we crossed paths again and sure enough they had a car broken down and no one knew how to fix it. One of their members told me that several of them also owned Model A's as well and he had more FUN driving his Model A over the Lincoln. The members of these two clubs were a lot different and may not have been compatible in any other social meeting. But the love of old cars and of the Hobby cut through the other BS that evening and we all had a great time together... We found that we had more in common then we thought.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

It's all because of the numbers, plus the fact that its wasn't luxury car. It was only the car next door. But it is a "entry level" car like marijuana is an "entry level" drug. I believe many collectors got their start, fooling around with a modA. Also it's a fun car. Most A's can be sat in and ridden in. Rumble seats are fun for the kids. My grandchildren love to ride in my coupe's rumble seat. But it's "don't touch my 16 cyl Cadillac, or my prized Stoddard Dayton". (Trailer Queens, Grrr)
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
400A-64

I get a kick out of people as we have traveled..... "tell me you didn't drive it here" after noticing my California plates !! Along our various journeys we have stayed in various motels with one or two car trailers toteing their "baby" to various shows. As I check our "A" out each evening for the next days drive....folks crowd around the "A" giving the trailer queen a slight notice.
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Randy in Illinois

All good reasons I agree with. I did afew cruise nites with my A and got little interest from the younger crowd, the older guys liked it. My reason is I think the car culture has change the past year. Younger guys think they all should be hot rods or kit cars, if it doesn't have chrome valve covers, big wheels, a tons of clearcoat paiint, it isn't cool now days. I like all cars for what they were in automotive history and in the time we remember them in.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
heneste

I think many prefer the higher performance cars such as Chevelles and Mustangs etc. It could also be the ride comfort as Model A's can be a little bumpy or choppy riding with some of the pothole filled roads today.

Personally, I much prefer the Model A to drive (albeit on fair weather days!)
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
BrianBurkert

I own three Model A's and I think I'm the sh*t. :-)
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
Purdy Swoft

Its probably not the younger generation that act snobby. The model A was built for the common man and was low priced, still is. The real snobs prefer the expensive older cars. A common model A would be below their taste and station in life. This isn't always the case , A couple of years ago, A guy was admiring our roadster and invited Us to sit in the back seat of his Rolls Royce , so that we could see how comfortable it was. That was a first to get to sit in a Rolls Royce!!

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
Randy in Illinois

What I can add is some shows/cruise nites gets to be like how much money can you put in to your car, or pay someone to restore it, or buy one than to just drive your car, show your car, apreciate other cars and just have fun. Bless them if they have that kind of doe. but they shouldn't be snobby to others. I like driving my A the best, I have fun at shows and everyone is friendly, but once in awhile someone gets their pants bunch that their car is the Holy Grain. Enjoy the cars and the hobby and others.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
ratamahata

Like all programs of this type are made to make money, showing rare and luxurious cars to attract viewers, it's a matter of money to collectors who also want to fill their own museum. if you put "A" models that are cheap, have little resale value tomorrow, however, if placed luxury cars have a gold mine.
The same for the vendors of rare and expensive cars, looking to fill their pockets with the sale of any of these specimens in extinction.

For others it will be a matter of nostalgia, perhaps the first car in which he learned to drive or perhaps their first car.
Some collectors may say, 'look this is my car only 1000 units were manufactured "And I would answer: this is my car look low price, million units were produced for most ordinary people...
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
griffincat

The positive side to the "A" price is that they are fairly easy to sell. Selling a car for $10,000 is a lot easier than $100,000. It is the same today as it was back then, there are millions of people that can afford them.
griffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratamahata View Post
...perhaps their first car...
That would be me!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote