Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
rmak

Default Re: speed parts on the banger

Thanks, Brent. I guess I view bangers as a trend only because I've gotten back into cars after being into motorcycling and motorcycle restoration for about 40 years. When I quit hot rodding, the 'trend' was giant engines, lots of chrome and distorting the original lines of the cars. I grew up around cars because my family was in the automotive business. My older brother was much more of a traditional hot rodder and I grew up reading his black and white hot rod magazines and saw many early rods. Of course I ignored them for the most part because I was interested in 427 cubic inch engines at the time. But with my background these early rods were and are very 'cool' to me now. I enjoy that the pendulum has swung away from high end totally reworked 32 fords. I know I am enjoying the heck out of my four cylinder hot rod.
As far as photo references, I easily found this by sorting on HAMB. I think guys started modifying cars as soon as they became available and affordable. So it was prewar, postwar and continues even today.
rmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
cannon

every one else has idea's now i am going to take a turn: i have a 29 ccpu, with all the "neat" go fast stuff, have spent a TON of $$ in doing all the mods, that have been addressed, including the S-10 transmission, yes the truck really get's the attention (good and bad), it was something that i thought i really wanted: now i wish someone really wanted to trade for a nice stock 29 ccpu. the fun has long gone out of this "truck", cannot take it on a trip, what happens if it breaks down? where will i ever get repair parts, had it on the interstate at 75mph, was not "fun" or i am over the hill. if spending a lot of money is you bag, go for it, you will wish one day that you had the $$$$ and time spent invested somewhere else....a nice stock coupe maybe
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
rmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
every one else has idea's now i am going to take a turn: i have a 29 ccpu, with all the "neat" go fast stuff, have spent a TON of $$ in doing all the mods, that have been addressed, including the S-10 transmission, yes the truck really get's the attention (good and bad), it was something that i thought i really wanted: now i wish someone really wanted to trade for a nice stock 29 ccpu. the fun has long gone out of this "truck", cannot take it on a trip, what happens if it breaks down? where will i ever get repair parts, had it on the interstate at 75mph, was not "fun" or i am over the hill. if spending a lot of money is you bag, go for it, you will wish one day that you had the $$$$ and time spent invested somewhere else....a nice stock coupe maybe
I think the Buddha said desire causes suffering. As soon as you get what you want, you want something else. Unfortunately, it's human nature.

I advise against evaluating your past hobbies in dollars and cents. Why begrudge yourself for doing something you once enjoyed? The only real value is in your health and your family anyhow. Everything else is a pleasant temporary diversion.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

OK I agree to only an extent, ...however wouldn't you agree this really is not representing what we are seeing being built today under the name of Pre-War Hot Rods. Restored Tudor Sedans with the tops hacked off to make Tubs while using Banger motors??? Sport Coupes & etc. chopped up to make 'quasi hi-boy street roadsters'??? Bodies channelled over the frame where the rear wheels are taller than the deck lid???

...and most of what you are showing above were actual race cars, --not Roadsters that have the running boards taken off yet leaving the body aprons on. Notice the '29 Roadster still has full fenders on (as I find most street driven hot rods were), and the two shots of the '31 has stock manifolds and distributors, ...with no finned covers or finned head. Also, based on the catalogs I have secured over the years (Bell, etc.) shows most of the speed equipment Ansen, Burns, Mallory Dual-Point, etc.) was actually manufactured in the '50s which is definitely post-war.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
Jason in TX

People in the know are also not calling those "pre-war hot rods" They are being calling those "Art cars" or a wreck waiting to happen. This is a never ending discussion over on the HAMB, people arguing what is "traditional" and what is not.

I basically see traditional hot rodding as another form of restoration. Restoring a car that was modified in the 40s / 50s. I also think that if you aren't doing it using parts from that era, then you are not doing it properly. Other people take liberties with the hobby saying that what they are doing is also traditional, but I tend to keep walking past a car like that. It's just not that interesting to me.

I do have a picture of a dirt track racer friend of mine that ran in the late 40s who showed up with a 35 Ford sedan. They said it was a roadster race only, so he cut the roof off so that he could race. he told me that after the race, he welded the roof on again for another closed car race.

People did hack these cars up back then also, because they were just an old car. Now they are often restored to better than assembly line condition. It's all subjective. It makes me sad and angry to see the car abortions calling themselves "traditional" but it's their toy and money to play with. It's all just stuff. It just makes your Tudor with the roof still on it that much more rare, right?
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
rmak

Ha, ha. Now I get you, Brent. You're saying that if people were really into pre-war banger rods they'd only be using the speed equipment available at the time. You are a restorer through and through! That's hard to argue with. I can only say that the new stuff is fun.

From my memory, though, the idea of a pure race car back then wasn't so cut and dried. Guys would drive their cars to a race event, tape or remove their headlights, take off body parts, race around, put everything back and drive home to use their cars to go to work the next day. The idea of the average person having more than one car (or phone, or tv or pair of jeans) came later.

I totally agree that the idea of butchering a perfectly good body style is a crappy idea. As a motorcycle restorer I cringe when anyone chops a perfectly restorable classic bike. Making or approximating period correct modifications is OK, like making a Norton Manx for example.

That's why I don't understand why the hot rod guys are so against fiberglass reproductions. It's a perfectly good basis for a hot rod and is no more "fake" than a metal reproduction. They should embrace repro bodies and parts as a way of maintaining the limited number of originals in an original state.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
V4F

the pix above are only of roadsters . there were coupes & tudors hot rodded also . maybe not for the dry lakes but for crusing . i built mine on that order . pre-war cruzzer ..................... steve
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmak View Post
Ha, ha. Now I get you, Brent. You're saying that if people were really into pre-war banger rods they'd only be using the speed equipment available at the time. You are a restorer through and through! That's hard to argue with. I can only say that the new stuff is fun.

From my memory, though, the idea of a pure race car back then wasn't so cut and dried. Guys would drive their cars to a race event, tape or remove their headlights, take off body parts, race around, put everything back and drive home to use their cars to go to work the next day. The idea of the average person having more than one car (or phone, or tv or pair of jeans) came later.

I totally agree that the idea of butchering a perfectly good body style is a crappy idea. As a motorcycle restorer I cringe when anyone chops a perfectly restorable classic bike. Making or approximating period correct modifications is OK, like making a Norton Manx for example.

That's why I don't understand why the hot rod guys are so against fiberglass reproductions. It's a perfectly good basis for a hot rod and is no more "fake" than a metal reproduction. They should embrace repro bodies and parts as a way of maintaining the limited number of originals in an original state.
Nahh, I think the "ha ha" may be flipped back onto you in that regard but thanks for the comment as I will take it as a compliment if you don't mind!

I will say however, for those who truly know me will tell you I am NOT a "restorer through & through" and below are a few pictures of some of my cars that prove just that!! Now I will also be quick to tell you that I do like authenticity and the challenge that it provides to replicate that, --and I do tout it strongly here on this forum however I think Jason stated what I was thinking/suggesting very nicely.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78WDriver1.jpg (45.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg BrentDriverSuit.jpg (106.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06381s.JPG (143.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Rapids Sun-Mon 029.jpg (137.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Rapids Sun-Mon 030.jpg (140.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9565.JPG (178.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 1-67.jpg (54.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DCP10992r.jpg (104.2 KB, 141 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
rmak

Very cool cars, Brent. And yes, it was meant as a compliment.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
nostalgicford

Speaking from my own eperience....I to like you guys thought how kewl to put all this speed equipment on a 4 banger....I put on a Thomas Alumn head and I have a Weind on another engine...I have a Burns downdraft and 94...Mallory dual pt....Reds headers...I have everything that can be bolted on either chrome or polished Alumn....BUT !!! I just thought I had a hot rod 4 Banger until I drove Ron Kelly's little rust bucket RPU....AND!!!! LIKE ME IF YOU PUT ALL THAT JUNK ON YOUR ENGINE YOUR GOINA BE LOOKIN FOR A MOTOR REBUILDER VERY SOON !!!!!!!!!!!! the ole babbit beater can't handle that torque.... I have alot of speed equipment that will be FOR SALE soon to help pay for a inserted that will run a cast iron B head and a stock carb and distr.
nostalgicford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #31
kelley's restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgicford View Post
Speaking from my own eperience....I to like you guys thought how kewl to put all this speed equipment on a 4 banger....I put on a Thomas Alumn head and I have a Weind on another engine...I have a Burns downdraft and 94...Mallory dual pt....Reds headers...I have everything that can be bolted on either chrome or polished Alumn....BUT !!! I just thought I had a hot rod 4 Banger until I drove Ron Kelly's little rust bucket RPU....AND!!!! LIKE ME IF YOU PUT ALL THAT JUNK ON YOUR ENGINE YOUR GOINA BE LOOKIN FOR A MOTOR REBUILDER VERY SOON !!!!!!!!!!!! the ole babbit beater can't handle that torque.... I have alot of speed equipment that will be FOR SALE soon to help pay for a inserted that will run a cast iron B head and a stock carb and distr.

put me in line for the thomas head then
lol
tk
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
rmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgicford View Post
AND!!!! LIKE ME IF YOU PUT ALL THAT JUNK ON YOUR ENGINE YOUR GOINA BE LOOKIN FOR A MOTOR REBUILDER VERY SOON !!!!!!!!!!!! the ole babbit beater can't handle that torque....
I figure the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Looking forward to your sale!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #33
modelAsteve

What we forget is that these cars were 10 years old! 1931 to 1941 fits the "pre-war" period. Do we care about a 2001 Ford XKZ36 what ever? I don't!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #34
jerry shook

On my 31 s/w . I put a t-5 trans , lightened fly wheel v8 clutch and pressure plate, 5-5 head ,2- barrell down draft carb , f/s dist, fuel puwp, electric fuel cut off, 16 in wheels and tires, poesi superslide springs, flat head teds brakes. Love it . Its your car do what you wont to do and enjoy. God bless
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

How come no one offers a hood scoop for the Model A?
Because it would be unseamly.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #36
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
On my 31 s/w . I put a t-5 trans , lightened fly wheel v8 clutch and pressure plate, 5-5 head ,2- barrell down draft carb , f/s dist, fuel puwp, electric fuel cut off, 16 in wheels and tires, poesi superslide springs, flat head teds brakes. Love it . Its your car do what you wont to do and enjoy. God bless
How are those Posie superslides working out, is there a noticable difference?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #37
jerry shook

Milton. The poise springs ride great . Lot of difference.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #38
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry shook View Post
Milton. The poise springs ride great . Lot of difference.
Just what I wanted to hear. Music to my ears.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #39
Lowbuckboz

I would consider this pre-war. I used no parts newer than 1942.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #40
pick

Lots of interesting opinions & connebtary. I too like the "traditional" hopped up "A"s as I remember the high school guys driving when I was an elementary student. Many drove old model "A" cars that were "warmed up". Mine is and I drive the wheels off of it, It's a tudor built for cruising. Other than the black 'hyde interior and 16" 35 Ford wheels with radials it "looks" stock. But it has the truck overdrive tranny, ductile iron brakes (so it stops well), but the motor is hopped up as I can afford; currently with BF 5.9 head, electronic ignition inside stock appearing distributor, twin downdrafts, header, leakless pump etc. etc. It's a car I enjoy for touring, can take to hill climbs, etc. Plenty of room to load up for a trip with the little lady or haul friends and grandkids. It's the best of both worlds, reliable. It's a hobby folks. Enjoy it!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote