Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
rer_239

Default oil & oil pump

if the valve & spring "compartment" has oil in it can i assume the pump is working?
thanks in advance
Dick
rer_239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: oil & oil pump

Quote:
valve & spring "compartment"
Are you talking about the valve chamber on the side of the block?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Joe K

You better hope it has oil in it. And yes, if you remove the side cover you should find oil up to the "dam" at the righthand side of the chamber. Possibly even up to the level of the overflow return pipe to the left (makes a mess as you unbolt.)

Leading from this chamber are three pipes feeding the crankshaft mains which rely on gravity to bring down oil.

Ford changed the height of the dam a couple of times during production to send lesser or more oil over the timing gear and possibly to reduce oil consumption. And he lowered the left hand overflow pipe sometime late 1929 early 1930 (I don't have my service bulletins in front of me.)

Joe K
Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
rer_239

yes i'm talking about the valve chamber on side and I do have oil still in it after draining the oil pan.
thanks
Dick
rer_239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
yes i'm talking about the valve chamber on side and I do have oil still in it after draining the oil pan.
thanks
Dick
This is normal. Many enthusiasts will open the chamber and use a suction bulb to get that "last little bit" on the oil change.

Many also drop the oil pan to get to the "oil tray" which by itself holds upwards of a quart of oil.

As you change oil from a normal mark on the dip-stick, you'll get about 4 quarts of oil. But one quart will remain in the engine, to our modern minds "contaminating" the clean oil you're about to put in.

Lubrication in the Model A era was more along the lines of "there is a source of oil." Not a "we have clean pressurized source of filtered oil."

Hence the tendency of many to seek out a non-detergent oil for the old system - the precursor to detergent oil which was developed for today's more modern systems where you want the wear particulate to stay in suspension - precisely so it can be filtered.

The original Model A, on the other hand, used "settling" to remove a lot of the wear particulate to the oil pan during non- use. The "sludge" which many now decry and attempt to remedy had a purpose, or at least an "after purpose."

Much debate in the Model A community about non-detergent versus detergent oil. One thing for sure, don't run non-detergent for long periods, and then suddenly switch to detergent lest the detergent oil pick up and liquefy 5000 miles of wear particles all at once.

Joe K
Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

If you use a non-detergent oil, regular interval service of dropping the pan and opening the valve access panel is recommended to clean out sludge in those areas, and also cleaning the oil pump screen should be done. Over time it is possible for sludge to reduce or stop oil flow; valve access to bearings oil passages can get blocked, oil pump screen clogs, and in worst case (happened to me) have enough sludge in the bottom of the oil pan to block the inlet to the oil pump.

If going with non detergent - 1st clean out all the sludge, and then change oil frequently, do not be tempted to extend oil changes, once it starts looking dirty change it. Max of 400-500 miles.

Some like to run air filters, helps oil stay cleaner as one of the reasons.

Some like to run thermostats to help burn off contaminates.

Some like running detergent oil and adding an oil filter for the best of both worlds.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
thanks
Dick
Sounds fine.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Sounds fine.
X-2 If you or others are wondering if the oil pump is working, loosen the lower drain back tube bolt and run the engine
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Joe K

There used to be a video where someone had made a clear plastic valve chamber cover: one could see the residual oil and where it accumulates and travels back to the crankcase.

Very interesting. I'm not finding it now.

Joe K
Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
katy

The engine in our CCPU has a piece of clear vinyl in the oil return tube, easy to see the oil on it's way back to the pan.
Methinks that some previous owner had a short tube and needed the longer version for this engine so he adapted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil tube stretched.JPG (56.6 KB, 14 views)