Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Vehicle Inspection

Went to get my 2018 Inspection sticker today, the first shop said it will take a while, he said he would also have to take all the wheels off. I never had any shop ever want to do such a thorough inspection on an Historic vehicle. I went to another shop, where he just did a quick inspection and put on the new sticker. Others have said that many shops look to find things wrong, just to get the work. I doubt many of these mechanics today would know what to do with are Model As.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Vehicle Inspection

I personally would prefer the thorough inspection. I want to drive or ride in a safe car! It sounds like you were more. Interested in the sticker than ensuring the vehicle was safe. How can you check the brake components without removing the wheels. The fist person was a mechanic, the second was a joker! Obviously the sticker program is a farce. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Dealing with Government and Government Regulations? Never a surprise for me.

Seems like they think that we are only mushrooms in the dark where they shovels horse manure on us & are glad to see us not throwing it back at them.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
holdover

In Virginia, with antique plates an inspection is not necessary, BUT the vehicle has to be kept road worthy and be able to pass an inspection if requested by an officer. It would be interesting to see an untrained model A mechanic without the proper tools pull the rear drums without doing damage..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

so glad we dont have emisions testing, vehicle inspections, etc where im at...
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
In Virginia, with antique plates an inspection is not necessary, BUT the vehicle has to be kept road worthy and be able to pass an inspection if requested by an officer. It would be interesting to see an untrained model A mechanic without the proper tools pull the rear drums without doing damage..
Exactly, that's why there is no way I would let any mechanic who has no A experience touch my car.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
ian Simpson

I would video the whole inspection. Should make them tread very carefully.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Because not being required, I stay away from vehicle inspections with my Model A.

In my opinion, many Government employees today are a lot like Whooping Cranes on the Government's Endangered Species List who cannot be touched.

Ever notice with all of our fellow U.S. Veterans who were left to die in the ditch recently, none of these careless, lead in the behind VA Government Hospital Whooping Cranes were fired.

Things may change soon ..... let us hope so.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Yes and you would pay very dearly! You are making matters worse not better. Also many shops do not allow customers in the work area. Wayne
Old 01-05-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Because not being required, I stay away from vehicle inspections with my Model A.

In my opinion, many Government employees today are a lot like Whooping Cranes on the Government's Endangered Species List who cannot be touched.

Ever notice with all of our fellow U.S. Veterans who were left to die in the ditch recently, none of these careless, lead in the behind VA Government Hospital Whooping Cranes were fired.

Things may change soon ..... let us hope so.

They already did...for the worse! Wayne
Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Make sure you choose a shop where you can see the process from a distance. Insurance regulations state that no customers are allowed in the work area
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
ronn

Make sure you choose a shop where you can see the process from a distance. Insurance regulations state that no customers are allowed in the work area

just clip a Gopro to the shop owners head.................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #13
jb-ob

I realize it's January & bleak but 'mushrooms' & 'Whooping Cranes' just to get an inspection sticker ??

In New York it is a simple 'safety inspection' of your lights, horn, & wiper....and maybe if the shop owner's Grandfather is helping that day, Grandpa will shake your front wheels checking the king pins !

Since it is a flat fee ($37.) why are you driving around shopping? Who does the routine maintenance on your family cars & why aren't you at his place first ??

A few NY brass car owners don't even bother with the sticker. Try explaining the headlamps are turned on with a match!

JB
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
2manycars

We dont have inspection any more, but when we did, I took a 21 Ford T to inspection, and the kids doing the inspection at the DMV climbed under and looked all around, and just shook their heads. They had no idea what they were looking at. Thankfully that is all in the past.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Patrick L.

In NYS one wheel must be pulled for brake inspection, usually a front wheel for a light vehicle and noted. Lights, suspension, steering,etc are to be checked. On a non-emmission examined vehicle the fee is $10.00. No repair can be done without costumer authorization, if vehicle fails the inspection a rejection form is issued. If vehicle passes then invoice is given and sticker affixed to windshield.

You could file a complaint against the facility that said they 'have' to pull all the wheels/ drums.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 01-05-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
bwaii64

Long ago (20+ yrs) I was a NC inspector. I was honest both to my responsibility to the state and to the customer. Many customer used to just buying a sticker in other shops would get angry at us for actually checking out the car. We were required to go under and I would only pull a wheel if I heard or saw something that seemed wrong. The brakes are the most important part of the car with steering/suspension in close second. I've had total brake failure twice and it's not a good feeling. (Once was when the wheel fell of my '55 F100 - lose brake one wheel, lost 'em all)

Point being it's not always because we're crooks. In fact, sometimes it's because we aren't!
bwaii64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
Brianfrench65

The inspection station I go to in Massachusetts looks at lights, horn, wiper operation, tire tread and overall appearance to evaluate condition. They also have to drive it in and out of the inspection bay. They do check the brakes in the parking break during the drive-in and return to the customer.

I'm not sure if this represents all of Massachusetts inspection stations
Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
Cornishman

In France vehicle inspection centres are completely independent from garages. There is no incentive to fail a car hoping to get some work. The system is excellent. Vehicles de Collection go through a watered down inspection that checks basic safety and roadworthyness and the test is due once every five years. Older cars are respected and encouraged but safety standards are maintained.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
The inspection station I go to in Massachusetts looks at lights, horn, wiper operation, tire tread and overall appearance to evaluate condition. They also have to drive it in and out of the inspection bay. They do check the brakes in the parking break during the drive-in and return to the customer.

I'm not sure if this represents all of Massachusetts inspection stations
So shiny paint IS a safety issue!?! I guess a mechanically well restored/maintained car that is left looking like it is straight out of the barn wouldn't be allowed.
The shiny assed bureaucrats who come up with some of these ideas need to realise that rules made for modern cars are simply inappropriate for cars like ours. I'm close to getting started on a rant so I'd best stop now.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
So shiny paint IS a safety issue!?! I guess a mechanically well restored/maintained car that is left looking like it is straight out of the barn wouldn't be allowed.
The shiny assed bureaucrats who come up with some of these ideas need to realise that rules made for modern cars are simply inappropriate for cars like ours. I'm close to getting started on a rant so I'd best stop now.
Go ahead and rant, nobody cares! Wayne