Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #21
Vic Piano

Default Re: flathead header questions

I put a set of Red's headers on our '53 Ford Crestline Sunliner in 1988 and they are still in service. I've also installed Red's headers on our '39 CS, '47 Convertible, '51 F-1 and '53 F-100 Panel Truck. I also use Brockman Mellow-Tome steel packed mufflers, guess you could say I'm a big fan of Red's and Brockman's.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #22
flat-v8

I just put Fenton's on my 59A engine in a 38' frame with 39' steering and it was tight, had to grind a little off header around steering box, but they fit nicely and did not shim motor mounts, used Reds Fenton header extensions and they fit perfectly, through frame holes, down and around clutch petal, past master cylinder, and out center hole of cross brace, an amazing fit! Fenton's sound great!

Last edited by flat-v8; 04-28-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: misspell
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
al pa.

Definately Reds.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Scott De Shields

I contacted the people at Red's about header fit with a Saginaw 525 steering box and they said their headers would not fit. The good news is that if I take pictures of the engine/steering box fit and emailed them, they would build the left side headers to fit and work with their duel exhaust system, no additional cost. They are the people I am going to.
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
cuzncletus

(I contacted the people at Red's about header fit with a Saginaw 525 steering box and they said their headers would not fit. The good news is that if I take pictures of the engine/steering box fit and emailed them, they would build the left side headers to fit and work with their duel exhaust system, no additional cost. They are the people I am going to.)

Scott; I put a set of Red's on my 39 w/ 8ba and 525 box. They had to be severely modified. On the driver's side the center port loops up over the box and then forward to tie into the front pipe. This arrangement clears the box, the dipstick, and allows the removal of the header without moving the engine. It looks a little strange but it's wrapped in thermal header tape so it kind of has a competition appearance. As for being too loud...definitely not. I don't anticipate the need of anything more than a set of Smittie's and that will be so it's legal. I don't think I'd hesitate to run the pipes straight out the back. Flatheads in my opinion are just not loud engines. By the time the exhaust makes it through it's convoluted path and out the ports, the energy is simply expended. Of course, this is from a guy who's spent a significant portion of his life sitting astride an unmuffled engine of one variety or another.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
Scott De Shields

Thanks for the feedback Cuzncletus. I will probably have mine coated, don't care if they look a little odd as long as I have ease of removal and can hookup with rest of Red's exhaust system. I am also running a 39 pedal assembly that I hope will make for ease of installation since I don't have 40 clutch equalizer bar in the way
Scott De Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
felix37

I spoke with Mike Goodman from Honest Charlies about headers a while back and he swears by Reds headers. He said he's sold hundreds of Reds headers and has never had any problems. I will be putting reds on mine.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
swankt

I am waiting for my cast iron headers from Patricks .( 8 months ) He says they will fit my stock 51 Vic . Heard of too many fitment problems with the fenton pcs ? Also Bob Drake has them in development .
swankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
41LjH

First WELCOME TO THE BARN !

Concerning headers. My experience is clearance on the driver's side due to the steering is the main problem. I bought a cheap set from Speedway. Sent them back. Got a set from Sanderson, beat the top tube, still wouldn't fit. Was ready to buy Fenton, but the supplier talked me out of it. Seems the current Fenton's are not the same quality as the originals. He suggested Red's. Red's were also cheaper so I bought them. Very happy with the install.
In summary Sanderson is the best quality, but useless if they don't fit. For the 8BA folks the "police car" driver side manifold is available. Simply cap the passinger side and install the driver side manifold then run the duels back.
Concerning pipe size. Red's are 1 3/4" and that's about the size of the original system. It is hard to find aftermarket parts that small. I bought the pipes from the headers to the muffler from Red's and had the rear of the pipes flaired to 2". Then I took the headers to the muffler shop and had them flaired to 2". A little planning saves a lot of work later. Good luck
BTW the front bolt holes in the block are larger than the rest so I set of "header bolts" won't fit the front openings unless the set is specifically for a flathead..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
TStiles

You simply cannot go wrong w/ Reds.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The value of headers on a street engine is another myth that just wont go away.
Headers are intended to be ran as "an open exhaust, no mufflers". As a general rule headers do not start to do their work until the engine approaches 3,000 rpm's or higher.
Stock cast iron manifolds with 2" dual exhausts will provide all the performance that a street engine can muster.
Of course stock manifolds do not provide the bragging rights that headers do.
I tendered the above comment about headers when this question came up in April 2011..
The facts of the subject have not changed.. Headers are a waist of time and money on a vehicle that is only used for street driving.. A good set of stock cast iron manifolds with any kind of a straight through muffler, or a stock type chambered muffler will provide a nice sound, or no sound, depending on your preferences...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
prewar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The value of headers on a street engine is another myth that just wont go away.
Headers are intended to be ran as "an open exhaust, no mufflers". As a general rule headers do not start to do their work until the engine approaches 3,000 rpm's or higher.
Stock cast iron manifolds with 2" dual exhausts will provide all the performance that a street engine can muster.
Of course stock manifolds do not provide the bragging rights that headers do.

Double yes to this . But ,I have to add that I have had no issues with Patricks Fentons and IMHO the headers of any type and shape as the Fentons look way nicer . Especially if you run with your hood sides off.
prewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #33
hope

Smile Re: flathead header questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by don fowler View Post
I'm new with flatheads. I have a stock 1939 with dual exhausts that need replacing and have the following questions:

What are the pros and cons of cast headers (Fenton) vs tubular headers such as Reds Headers? Is there much difference in sound and engine compartment heat with the two types of headers?

I notice that Bob Drake is advertising his own tubular headers. Does anyone have an opinion on those?

Does using larger exhaust and tail pipes cause a noticeable loss of torque in a flathead.

Thanks,

32geebee
I was debating on what to use for Mufflers, and this should be the right time and the right place to state my opinion.
According to some people's preference as said on this thread i'm going with short Smitty's.
I'm looking for comments, I know this was discussed "MANY" times before, (but i'm old and slow) sorry
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
If you want good tube headers go to Tatom and he has the best.I put a set on my 40.Full tube
I haven't seen any of his current productions ones, but the older ones I saw were excellent quality. He had "W" type available also which usually clear everything better.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
37don

Have have a set of Reds Pocilan coated headers on the 37 for 6 yrs and around 27000 mi and they look like new and fit perfect. I have a set of Fentons in the basement and thats where they fit the best.
Regards, Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
B-O-B

Reds hands down. Jim will build them to fit. I have a cougar steering box on my 34 & clearance was tight, really tight . Sent a couple of pics To Jim @ Reds & he built them to fit. Sent me new gaskets,washers & bolts & had a Pickup for the return to adjust them. No increase in price. Can't beat that.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
Ross6860

My '36 has Red's headers and Porter mufflers. Original 21-stud motor.

Nice tone IMHO. Definitely not what I would consider loud.

My 2004 Silverado 2500HD with Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system is far louder, and still not that bad. My 351 Cleveland breathing through two Flowmaster 40s with a crossover is in between the two.

Running a full exhaust definitely helps keep the cabin quieter.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
Ross F-1

I can't believe there is any difference in cab noise or even under the hood with tube headers vs. stock manifolds. Coming out of headers most folks are running glasspaks of some kind, so the system is bound to make more noise, that's kind of the point.

As to whether headers do any good or not, who cares?!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
fomocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankt View Post
I am waiting for my cast iron headers from Patricks .( 8 months ) He says they will fit my stock 51 Vic . Heard of too many fitment problems with the fenton pcs ? Also Bob Drake has them in development .
i would'nt believe anything Patrick said. That bum sold me a Mallory dis. that ruined my camshaft.
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #40
Ol' Ron

I think the stock headers will work fine in your application, Headers add no additional power, just a lighter wallet. Just add dual exhaust and a set of glass packs if you like the sound.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote