Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
sonny30coupe

Default Motor not aligned with crank hole

I have installed the motor in my restoration process. I have seen this problem addressed on here before but am unable to find the thread. When the old front motor mount was in there, the motor lined up fine. However, it was an after-market mount. I have the mount sold by Snyders. It is keeping the motor from dropping down to line up the crank nut with the crank hole bolted on the frame. The frame is straight, that is not an issue. It is as if the springs are too tall in this mount kit. Has anyone else had this same problem with this repop part? What did you do to correct the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sonny
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Motor not aligned with crank hole

Did you loosen the 4 rear motor mount bolts and tighten the bottom front motor mount bolt? That should pull the front down until the crank slips into the ratchet bolt on the crankshaft.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
BudP

Marco addresses this situation here: http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/mount.htm

Might want to call Berts for original springs.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Jamie86

We installed a rebuilt motor and F150 transmission conversion. The rear motor mounts have a float a motor and the front is original. We did not replace the rubber on the rear mount and now the crank hole doesn't line up. I'm hoping that if I replace the old float a motor rubber pads with new, it will fix the problem. I know the F150 transmission weighs about twice what the original 3 speed does. Anyone had this problem ?
Jamie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
sonny30coupe

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, Sonny
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

I found that problem once. They guy had installed the front motor mount backwards.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
columbiA

Some of the repop front mount springs are too long & will be coil-bound before the CS is low enough to line up with the crank hole.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Jamie86

Thank you Bud P and columbiA. I did not know that the repop front springs were to long. I do remember, we did put new springs on the front mount. I will check the springs on a warm day. Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

I had the same problem with repro parts when I put my engine in the huckster. I think I just left out the metal strip that the springs sit on and then tighten it down more.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
columbiA

I dont think its a good idea to leave out the metal strip as its really a small leaf spring to take some of the engine weight.Also a good idea to smear a bit of grease under the ends of spring when installing.I always use the stepped brass washer to keep the mount centered even tho it wasnt used in all years.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Ron in Quincy

There is a good article about the flexable front motor mount in the early Service Bullenins.

In effect, if not properly set up, you defeat the flexable front motor mount.

Suggest you read the article ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Milton

Since you have Float o Motors installed make sure they are not to tight. The lip on the flywheel cover, where the mounts bolt up, should line up with the top of the frame rail. The front mount, depending on the year, uses a bushing in the crossmember where the mount bolt goes through. Occassionally the bushing doesn't seat in the hole and that elevates the mount.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
I dont think its a good idea to leave out the metal strip as its really a small leaf spring to take some of the engine weight.Also a good idea to smear a bit of grease under the ends of spring when installing.I always use the stepped brass washer to keep the mount centered even tho it wasnt used in all years.
I think you are correct. I also have a hard time to get the fan belt pass the motor mount. It could be that I messed up when I installed this mount-a very good possibility. I may have to check this out and do something about it.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

Anothe question I have on the front motor mount. I got a used motor mount like the one talked about here the other day and found a rubber inside of each of these springs. Is this the way this type of motor mount should be installed?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Anothe question I have on the front motor mount. I got a used motor mount like the one talked about here the other day and found a rubber inside of each of these springs. Is this the way this type of motor mount should be installed?
My 29 Tudor also came with that style of AFTERMARKET mount. I repaced them with originals, which use NO rubber.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
Craig Lewis

I had a problem with the crank not aligning after a complete rebuild. It had the original correct coils & leaf, so that was off the suspect list.
As it turned out, the rear mounts were sticking.
My new rubber pads were sandwiched between smooth powdercoated plates, mounts & frame.
When I tightened the rear mounts I didn't bother that the front was a little high.
Turns out the motor was "glued" in this position by the sticky new rubber. Tightening the front nut was actually pulling the motor down, against the grip of the rear mounts. This REALLY messes with the geometry & balance of those 3 harmless looking little coils.
The fix was easy...loosen the 6 rear nuts, rock the motor to break it free, adjust the front lower nut till crank fits & finally snug up the rearing mount plates.
Coincidently maybe... the cotter pin even fits the castle nut...as it should with all original parts
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
2manycars

The repro front spring that is bee hive shaped and has a rubber insert is too tall, and will cause this problem. The original parts line up fine.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Jamie86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
The repro front spring that is bee hive shaped and has a rubber insert is too tall, and will cause this problem. The original parts line up fine.
We just got done replacing the beehive type one piece to the 3 spring type with metal plate. The motor is still installed and we removed the beehive by
cutting the wire with a Dremel 4000. Removed the front motor mount installed the pieces and put it back together, tightened the nut. Works like it should,
crank handle works again. Just wanted to thank everyone for their knowledge
and input.