Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default Tech help with model A cabin space.

Ive a 1929 5 window. Need more room/ space for feet/legs. Can barely get my # 11 shoes into car without contortions. With both knees repaired couple times each, Im seeking help from any model A owner who may have figured this dilemma out ( more leg room).
Thanks for any helpful info.
NOTE:
This is a restored coupe… so hesitant to diminish it’s beauty. But, will do whats necessary. The alternative is to get something with more room for bad legs.. which I try not to entertain.

Thanks for your constructive comments !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Tech help with model A cabin space.

I was amazed how easy it was to climb in & out of a customer's '29 Coupe this weekend. You would definitely not be comfortable in a '28 Leatherback, Station Wagon or even a Town Car.

You need to 'borrow' a friend's '30-31 Coupe to examine the possibilities of it's adjustable seat. Or time to create some new seat cushions ??

Best, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #3
Chuck Sea/Tac

The only things I e ever heard of are reduced seat cushions and shortened package shelf. If you had a tudor, it’s easy to move the seat back as far as you want.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
ETAModel

I am a big guy, built like the proverbial fire plug. I have to back into the 30 fordor then pivot and get my feet in. Thankfully the steering wheel misses my belly. I've learned not to wear my cowboy boots, my deck shoes are much smaller, even though the same size.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
shew01

I’m 6’2”, and I have trouble getting into and out of our Victoria if I use the running boards as an intermediate step. Since I’m tall, I can skip the running board and step directly into the car. It solved my problem, but that probably won’t work for folks who have shorter legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
eagle

Im 6ft 4in. I got sick of cramping up in my Fordor, so one day I grabbed the shifter in both hands and bent it over a ways. Still was too tight so I took the seat out, remounted it back 3 inches, used some metal strapping to make some Z brackets for where the seat back connects to the door pillars, covered them with matching upholstery material. I love it, comfortable to drive, still PLENTY of room in the back seat for adult passengers. I still do sometimes lift the shifter and swing it out of the way when I'm out in the open roads.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:22 PM   #7
Pete

Remove the package shelf, move the seat back and lower. Make some upholstery to cover the back wall.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
Bud

As I recall, there is a piece of wood on the front of the package shelf that can be moved to a different position that can gain you about an inch. I believe the change is covered in the service bulletins. If you went with a narrower package shelf, perhaps from a later coupe that had a roll down rear window you may gain more space.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
Tinbasher

I can relate. I'm 6' tall and a big guy with bad legs and size 11 shoes. I have a 28 Sport Coupe so where into the same situation.
Remove the seat and have the seat back made thinner. Or use a seat from a S-10 pickup. A friend of mine used that and it worked. Then you can remove the parcel shelf or remove the wood along the front edge it it's there. The parcel shelf will give you about 4 inches. There is no adjustment on the seat base as it fits into a metal framework. But you can rake back the upright support with the parcel shelf removed. With that done, the trick is getting in. I back into the seat and slide across until my feet are in. Then I swing around and back into the right driving position. Dam legs!! JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Gary Karr

Remove the seat back cushion, you will see the wood piece that has two notches in it for the tabs on the back of the seat that fit into them. Remove the bolts that attach the wood piece and move it behind the front flange and reattach with the original bolts. You will see two notches in the metal package tray that should line up with the notches in the wood piece. Put the seat back cushion back into place. This should give you about two inches of space.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
CatMan1

I was somehow under the impression that maybe the coupes had more legroom? Not sure why. I'm surprised at how well and comfortably I fit in my '28 Sport Coupe. I'm right at 6 feet, but I have pretty good sized feet. The only problem I seem to have is that the shifter is too close to me in first and moving my right foot from the gas to the brake and back. I've leaned, that when it's possible, I just shift it to low with my foot off the brake and that helps. I'm amazed at how small these cars are. Just a couple inches wider and it would be a perfect fit. That's me, though.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
I was somehow under the impression that maybe the coupes had more legroom? Not sure why. I'm surprised at how well and comfortably I fit in my '28 Sport Coupe. I'm right at 6 feet, but I have pretty good sized feet. The only problem I seem to have is that the shifter is too close to me in first and moving my right foot from the gas to the brake and back. I've leaned, that when it's possible, I just shift it to low with my foot off the brake and that helps. I'm amazed at how small these cars are. Just a couple inches wider and it would be a perfect fit. That's me, though.

I agree that Model As are a tight fit. Believe it or not, my Miata has more room than my Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
I'm right at 6 feet, but I have pretty good sized feet. The only problem I seem to have is that the shifter is too close to me in first and moving my right foot from the gas to the brake and back.
I had the same problem in my Town Sedan. I'm 6'2". I bent the shifter ~2" to the right and it is a lot better.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
hardtimes

You guys have given me some good info on what to look into/try !
110 here. If it ever cools down, I will attempt to address some of your ideas !
Thanks

Question:
Did ALL FORD coupes have an overhead interior light ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
Cape Codder

Y-Blockhead Did you bend your shifter twice to move it? Also do you have a picture of it?
Sure would appreciate that!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Cape Codder, I made a "press" to slip over my shifter. I slid it as far down as possible until it hit the floor then tightened the larger bolt in the center. I had to do it a couple of times because it springs back. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-07-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Cape Codder, here is a picture of the trans I just rebuilt. I hope you can see the bend in the shifter. Can't really see it in the car.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
Cape Codder

Thanks for the pictures! Rather unusual shift knob. I like it a lot! Thanks again.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #19
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

The 1930-1931 Tudors have the most stock legroom for the driver I think?

And also have the option to move the seat fore-aft also if one wants using different brackets?
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Rather unusual shift knob. I like it a lot! Thanks again.
Glass door knob from my Grandma's house...