Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: windshield frame dimensions

If you are trying to get the correct windshield frame for your car you will have to do it my features of the frame, not the size of the frame.

Dimensionally all A's used the same size windshield glass. So just measuring the opening won't help. You need to get the frame with the correct position of the brackets, holes for the windshield wiper and air deflector at the bottom. I do not know all the differences so I can't be much more help.

The exceptions to the glass size are deluxe roadsters and slant window bodies. They all used the same shorter glass.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Kevin,

Another exception to your statement: "Dimensionally all A's used the same size windshield glass."

The windshield glass for the 1928 and 1929 Fordors is different from other closed cars. The windshield frame is different from other closed cars also.

Don Turley

<ul>[*]Don Turley's web site[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I have been mostly concerned with knowing the difference between slants and all the others. So I looked it up in my body parts book, not because I dont trust Don- quite the opposite, just to see.

Specifically 60A and 60B of the fordors which are 28-29 leather backs.

Also there is a separate listing on 35A, 40A, and 76A which are 28-29 std roadster/phaeton/rdstr pickup.

Then there are the rest of the straight windows.

Then all the slants and the 31 deluxe roadster.

Now my next question is what is the size difference between the glass?

Thanks Don.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

The glass size of the most common closed car windshields is: 43-3/4" width at top, 42-13/16" width at bottom, 14" high, pattern # 463. (This should include all Coupes, Tudors, straight windshield Town Sedans, straight windshield Fordors after 1929, straight windshield Cabriolets, Pickups, Station Wagons, Taxi, Deluxe Delivery, and maybe some others.)

The glass size of the 1928-29 Fordor (Leather-back) is: 42-5/8" width at top, 41-3/8" width at bottom, 13" high, pattern #461.

This information came from "Model A Miseries and Cures" by Mary Moline. There is a 7 page list of glass sizes beginning on page 177. I can not vouch for the accuracy of the dimensions, but having previously worked on a 1929 Fordor, I did see that the windshield is different from other closed cars. Seems like I remember that the seal around the windshield frame is different also. The windshield frame actually is recessed into the pillar, so that the face of the windshield frame is flush with the pillar rather than over-lapping it like other closed cars. Maybe someone who owns one will jump in here and add a few more details.

Leaving for the MARC Meet at Indianapolis on Saturday AM. Hope to see some of the Ford Barn folks there. I will have a space in the swap meet (Sunday and Monday only), selling original Model A tools and the wood display / carrying boxes for Model A tool kits, as well as some other parts.

Don

<ul>[*]Don Turley's web site[/list]