Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
fourspeedwagon

Default '39 pickup questions

1: I've been looking around but don't see anyone selling repro trim for the grill- is it out there or strictly swap meet stuff?
2: My 39 doesn't have a bed but I have access to a bed that is said to have come off a 40. Is it the same, similar or ?

Thanks- Greg
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Mike in Mass

Default Re: '39 pickup questions

Welcome to the FORDBARN ! I to have a 39 truck. There is a gentleman in Vermont that is in the process of making beutiful center grill trim strips for the 39 truck . As you have figured out ,this is a very tough part to find in ANY condition. I recently held one of these reproductions in my hands and was VERY IMPRESSED ! They are very very nice ! ! The surround piece is another matter . it took me 6 years to find one of those for my truck they are not being re-produced either . The center trim is a one year only part ,as is the 1938 truck . the surround trim is the same on both ..somtimes you have to buy the whole grill ,just to get that one part,,,and then send it out to a pro ,to be fixed up/straightend. As these trucks gain in popularity you might see the big boys start to re-do some of these parts ,but I woudn,t hold my breath. As far as the bed goes I,m not sure on that and will leave that to sombody more knowledgible on the subject good luck MP
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
jrhaelig

While it may not be concourse grade - I made a pretty nice placeholder to use until you find one.
I have the original one, but it needs a lot of massaging to get it straight.

This one's just polished aluminum bar stock from HD. I had a fellow weld aluminum studs on it and I bolted it right on. He drilled right through the stock to get enough bite, but the aluminum weld and aluminum studs polished to a single surface:

1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick

Last edited by jrhaelig; 04-08-2014 at 07:38 PM.
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
V12Bill

I gaot lucky with the center strip on my '39 and got one that needed a lot of work. Fortunately I have the skills to repair the molding. The beds are the same from 1938 to 1941. The tailgates are the same also except the '41 does not have "V8" on it. In 41 you could get a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder truck. Mack in Missouri makes a decent bed and a former owner fitted one to my truck.
They cost in the neighborhood of $5,000.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Tinker

A 40s bed should work out just fine. Rear fenders are the same. 38-41

Northern classic makes a perfect bed replacement and the individual bed parts for the 38-39 and more. Top shelf stuff.

The grill is another thing. Just keep your head up and fingers crossed they are out there. May take years or a day. May it be easy on you.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #6
fourspeedwagon

Ok, thank you all for the replies. I'm think the rehashed dump trailer is more likely than a new 5k unit..
Jr, looks like you should be the one going into production of grills.
The search continues--
Thanks again , Greg
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
Kevinsrodshop

Here is another bed option at $2200. I like the fact it includes the oak wood strips at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161123602753...84.m1423.l2649
Kevinsrodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsrodshop View Post
Here is another bed option at $2200. I like the fact it includes the oak wood strips at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161123602753...84.m1423.l2649
Or you could buy it straight from Northern and save $450.
http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/1938-41.htm
Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
Welcome to the FORDBARN ! I to have a 39 truck. There is a gentleman in Vermont that is in the process of making beutiful center grill trim strips for the 39 truck . As you have figured out ,this is a very tough part to find in ANY condition. I recently held one of these reproductions in my hands and was VERY IMPRESSED ! They are very very nice ! ! The surround piece is another matter . it took me 6 years to find one of those for my truck they are not being re-produced either . The center trim is a one year only part ,as is the 1938 truck . the surround trim is the same on both ..somtimes you have to buy the whole grill ,just to get that one part,,,and then send it out to a pro ,to be fixed up/straightend. As these trucks gain in popularity you might see the big boys start to re-do some of these parts ,but I woudn,t hold my breath. As far as the bed goes I,m not sure on that and will leave that to sombody more knowledgible on the subject good luck MP
Mike, can you give me more information on the gentleman in Vermont that is making or going to make a reproduction center stainless?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Dec211975

Mike, I would be interested as well if someone is reproducing the center stainless trim.

Regards,

Brian
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Shu47

Fourspeedwagon, you have quite the interesting avatar. Does it have significance or did you just like it.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
fourspeedwagon

Hi Shu47- My wife found that picture somewhere and knew that I would enjoy it. She was right. I laughed for days after I saw it and tried to imagine some situation in which this would've been appropriate.

ps- I refuse to use "lol", but I was laughing audibly as I wrote the reply and thinking of that boy, his smoke and prized rooster.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Tinker

That's a big chicken even to today's hormone injected standards. Something to be proud of really. Cig is another matter... ha. great picture. I have a pict of my granddads praised/prize roster. Different world.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Mike Conshafter

You won't go wrong with Northern Classic Trucks. His stuff fits and is exact with the details. I recently bought all of the floor panels for my 46' panel truck.
Mike Conshafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
fourspeedwagon

Here's a couple pictures of the box I've been offered. I didn't have a tape measure with me so I'm not sure of the width. Looks like the bottoms of the fenders have been bobbed for clearance..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 box.jpg (93.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 39 box2.jpg (48.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 39 box3.jpg (55.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Clem Clement

A couple 3 years ago a vendor had a 39 grille at Hershey. @ $1200 I passed. My old truck would not know what to do with a new horse collar.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
fourspeedwagon

The 1200 dollar unit must've been a real special one! I've seen 2 decent ones listed on craigslist in my state in the couple years I've been casually looking for one of these trucks. Asking was 150 and 200. A week or so ago there was a big truck listed, then the ad changed and said the grill had sold but the truck was still for sale. I think the price dropped 200 so that's probably what they got I imagine.

Were 1 ton beds wider in these years? This trailer/bed seems bigger than 46 or 49"
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
fourspeedwagon

Almost. He went from 700 to 500 w/out the grill.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
rustynutz

My guess is 42 and later, there is no spare tire rack or tire clearance dent in the fender.
rustynutz is offline   Reply With Quote