Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
billmessmer

Question 1928 AR Electric Windshield wiper motor

I was trying to include a photo of my Electric Windshield motor but cant figure out how to post it to this so I will just ask. #1 Does it take a special Wiper arm different than the one sold with the black spring and rod with the 90 degree bend at the end. I have a long shaft on the left that opens the switch points inside. Then in the center it has a shaft with a brass adjustable arm coming from the center of the motor This is the part that should hold the wiper arm, but I do not see how it does this? Maybe the electric model requires a different Wiper arm? also there is a hole to the right front side of the housing facing the inside of the car. This hole has a brass strip attached to it inside of the motor compartment this post goes to the one side of the armature brush holder. The brush is on a slender copper strip that is kept from making contact by the long post coming out of the housing described above as opening the switch points.
I would guess the body of the motor is + (hot) and the Hole with the brass strip and brush get a - (neutral wire) Does this make any sense to anyone of you? If I'm right about the wiring, then I just need to know more about how to attach the wiper arm to the center shaft. If I am wrong about any of this pleas correct me. I would like a call from a member who has done this before. Please, 201-407-9892 e-mail [email protected]
billmessmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
jm29henry

Default Re: 1928 AR Electric Windshield wiper motor

Is it a Owens dyneto .? Is it for a closed car or open?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
billmessmer

I would say it is for a closed car. It is somewhat rectangular with smoothed edges to the front then has the mounting ears wit bolt holes the rod that holds the wiper blade is somewhat centered the control lever is on the right facing from inside the car the power attach point (the coper strip with the screw and hole is on the right side. All holed align themselves with where the windshield frame is drilled. Where would I look for the words Owens Dyneto? I also have the motor for what I think is an open car it is more clam shaped and may have been Zink plated at one time. Can you halp me with how the windshield wiper lever attaches? or if the lever I have is for the electric motor. Or must find the right wiper arm, or modify this one?

Last edited by billmessmer; 04-20-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Add It is a 1928 Sports coupe.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Mike Peters

This is a restored Owens Dyneto Model OD-C1B. It fits the windshield of our November 28 business coupe. This earlier version wiper has unequal spacings between the wiper arm, switch arm and electrical connector arm. Later versions did have equal spacings. You will find very good descriptions of electric wipers in the latest judging standards. Hope this helps. mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1140889.JPG (193.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1140890.JPG (222.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 3-P1140891.JPG (163.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 4-P1140892.JPG (221.8 KB, 109 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Gary Karr

Please tell us the month and model of your car so we can try to help answer your questions.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
billmessmer

Year and model as requested. August, 8, 1928 Although I do have one of what you describe as an Owens Dyneto OD-C1B that looks like the one in your picture the mounting ears are broken off and I am missing the switch arms.

The motor I want to use is slightly larger and more rectangular. It does not have the tapered sides and the thicker rod that holds the long lever and I assume the wiper blade is more centered. I am going to Google the judging standards to se what you are talking about wish me luck on that. Can it be found on the Ford Barn site? Or is it on the MAFCA site?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Gary Karr

What Mike shows above is what you should have for your August '28 closed car. It sounds like what you have that you want to use is an OD-C3, used on closed cars beginning in July of 1929. Your OD-C1B can be rebuilt with a new base. You need to look at your windshield frame to see how the holes line up. As Mike also said above, the OD-C1B has uneven spaced holes in the windshield frame. If you intend to change to the OD-C3, you will have to remove the windshield and drill new holes. It might be easier for you to stay with what you have and get it rebuilt. Contact John Holland. He can rebuild it at a very reasonable price.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
frank55a

It does not sound like what you have is a 28 wiper motor.
If yours looks like the windshield wiper motors in the attached pictures it is an Owen-Dyneto OD-C3 design. Per the Judging Standards the OD-C3 (closed car) motor was used from July 1929 to June 1930. (by the way these motors are for sale)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6810.jpg (38.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6812.jpg (40.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6814.jpg (40.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6815.jpg (38.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6816.jpg (37.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6817.jpg (41.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6818.jpg (41.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6819.jpg (45.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6820.jpg (43.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6824.jpg (35.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6825.jpg (40.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6826.jpg (51.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6827.jpg (53.5 KB, 32 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
billmessmer

Smile Re: 1928 AR Electric Windshield wiper motor

The motor I have is the motor you show in the photo if they are different it looks more like the one in the center row. This motor runs but I have to remove the internal parts and see why it is not moving the shaft. I will repair what ever is broken and put it on the car for now. No drilling will be nessary because it fits. I just ordered the correct wiper blade, holding arm wire, and electrical spacer from Snyder's, they were very helpful. I just need all what was original to the car in 1928 to work to pass inspection one time in Delaware to register and title the car in this state I retired here from NJ. where inspection before registry was not nessary. Now that I am retired the car will get a 100% restoration. I will have the proper motor restored to meet judging standards, for now It just has to work. I am still missing the switch Knob for this motor that I have But I will make some kind of knob for now. Unless you have one for sale? Thanks for your interest and knowledge on the subject. I have had this car since I was 15 years old in 1965, its really a fun car every one loves it in parades.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
frank55a

If you are referring to the wipers that I show in post #8 they are both the same. I live in Wilmington, Delaware. I would have to look but might have the switch knob.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote