Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
henry's 31

Default Passing of Dear Friend Jim Langley

My dear friend Jim Langley passed away on April 12 and was buried with military honors on April 16, 2021. Jim was a combat Veteran of the Air Force in Vietnam where he flew B-52's and later flew B-52 for the Strategic Air Command, ready to deploy nuclear weapons at a minutes notice. Jim never met a stranger, and when he became your friend he became your friend for life. He was a great friend of the Model A hobby owning at times Model A's and Early V8 Fords. He was very active in the River Cities Model A Ford Club in Columbus, Georgia, serving as its President for four different terms. He collected and restored license plates. He wrote and published a book on the car dealerships in Columbus from 1903. He had a ready to publish book on the Pontiac Motor Corporation. He was a frequent contributor to Ford Barn and our Clubs Newsletter. He was a very dedicated Ford Historian answering questions about the Ford Motor Company and constantly doing research on the subject. We have lost a great friend of the hobby, may he rest in peace.

Al Lugo, President, River Cities Model A Ford Club, Columbus, GA
Old 04-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Passing of Dear Friend Jim Langley

sounds like he was a fantastic guy. My thoughts and prayers to family and friends and May his soul Rest In Peace. Kind thoughts, Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Model A Ron

Sounds like a very good man. My thoughts and prayers as well.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I knew Jim through the 100's of emails that we had shared over the years. Jim helped me gather information about the Columbus Assembly Plant and then some.

He was a true friend.

Rest In Peace my friend.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
jayvee34

I did not know Jim, but would sincerely thank him for his service to our
country.
John U.S. Marine Corps Korean War Veteran
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

God Bless, and me he rest in peace.

The Vietnam vets are the greatest in my book, up there with the WWII guys the Greatest Generation. They did their jobs even with all the BS directed towards them by their fellow 'countrymen' back here, who were to chicken to serve.

Sadly they are reaching that time in life.....
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:41 AM   #7
Richard in Anaheim CA

Even from far away California, Jim was my friend. First it was on Fordbarn. Then on a long cross country Model A trip we set a date to meet in his state Alabam as he called it in his Avitar. A couple of days early I was having problems with a water pump leak and talked of meeting at Mikes Affordable in Georgia.

I called to tell him we would be late and would have stop for the night. He told me I know where you are and we aren't very far from you. I picked up your parts and will see you in half an hour.

Right there in the front of the motel he and a friend and I changed the water pump using a rock from Utah to knock the fan off the pump. They refused to let me buy dinner or even join me in a wee bit of scotch which I had learned he enjoyed.

He said they had a long trip home. Was that an understatement. As near as I could determine he had driven between 300 and 400 miles for someone he had never met face to face. A friend in need is a friend indeed

A contact in 2018 sent the news he had lost his wife of 44 years, Pat. Neither of us could hear on the phone but occasional e-mails kept us in contact. He was elected president of River Cities club and sent me a cap. We exchanged e-mails about 6 months ago. Thanks for posting your wonderful eulogy for great man, veteran and friend, Jim Langley.

May you and Pat, together again in Heaven enjoy your final reward

Until we meet again,
Your Friend Richard

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #8
henry's 31

Hi Richard:

He was just that type of person. Thanks for the nice replies.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #9
neds29

I was stationed at Fort Benning from '83 to '86 with my '29 roadster. Sounds like he was a great guy. Wish I could have met him. Peace brother.
US Army Vietnam '69-'70
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
Baxman01

Al, that was very nice, I also met Jim through the River Cities Model A Club. He was the first to welcome me. It was funny, Jim called me the youngster, at the time I was 62. Jim was an amazing man, his purpose in life the last years was to help everyone he could. Jim was a National Judge, I remember the first time he saw my Roadster he looked it over for about 45 min. Afterward he walked up and gave it a thumbs up. That meant very much to me. My 31 Alabama tag on my pickup came from Jim. Now he will always ride with me. Enjoy this final chapter my friend.
Baxman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Bob in Ga

We in the River Cities Club wanted the rest of the friends of Jim to be able to post something here. It is good to see Steve Plucker and Richard in Anahiem reply. I met Richard and wife on that 400 mile trip to help him with the waterpump problem. Jim & I had a lot of fun that day. Jim was at least a 40 yr member of the Dallas/Ft Worth Club too. He will be missed by many. Thanks
Bob in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #12
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Ga View Post
We in the River Cities Club wanted the rest of the friends of Jim to be able to post something here. It is good to see Steve Plucker and Richard in Anahiem reply. I met Richard and wife on that 400 mile trip to help him with the waterpump problem. Jim & I had a lot of fun that day. Jim was at least a 40 yr member of the Dallas/Ft Worth Club too. He will be missed by many. Thanks
I had thought his name sounded familiar. He was definitely a member of the fort worth club. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #13
burner31

Started my Military\Civilian career on '52's during Vietnam, flew out of Anderson, wonder if we ever passed each other.
Drive in the Sun brother, my horn will sound for you too.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
The Last A

I remember Jim for his dedication to advancing Ford history. He was always willing to share his knowledge at any time. Jim, rest in peace knowing you have educated many with facts and history of The Ford Model A.
The Last A is offline   Reply With Quote