Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #81
Macdozer

Default Re: 59 AB engine rebuild

Just wondering because this the first flathead I am rebuilding.
Macdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #82
Mart

Dozer, the 3 things mentioned are sort of optional extras done by top notch shops. The hone plate holds the block in the same condition that it would be with the heads torqued down, so that when it gets honed the bores will be as true as possible when the head gets fitted. Pinning the heads to the block means using a dowel type setup. to ensure the heads are always located in the same position. The 95% oil setup is a good thing to do, but again the vast majority of these old motors run with the factory bypass oil system and tons more run with the original factory setup of no oil filter at all.

It pays to be aware that these options are available but they are by no means essential for a run of the mill flathead rebuild.

Just my opinion, not trying to rubbish anyone's suggestions. A newb can become confused if barraged with advice when some of that advice is not essential.

Keep doing what you are doing to get the valves out, be gentle, you might bend some.

If you look underneath, you can see which lifters are stuck up. you should be able to tap these back down.

That said, a lifter/valve stuck open should not stop the cam from turning. You need to locate any that are stuck in the closed/down position.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #83
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdozer View Post
What does the block plate do when finish honing the blocks?
And what does pin the heads and gaskets to the block mean?

How necessary is the 95% oil filtering setup?
Hi Mac, having a block-plate for the final sizing on the bores simply duplicates the "pressure/tension" on the cyl head fasteners in the deck surface, bolts or studs don't matter, and keeps the cylinders perfectly round when honing. As heavy as these casting seem, they are still fairly "flimsy".

When you assemble the unit and bolt the heads on the bores will still be round. I doubt Ford ever did it this way, but today it is the "norm".

Pinning the block/heads/gaskets keeps everything from "moving" around. With the use of any aftermarket aluminum heads lately it's good precedure. The mfr's have made the head bolt holes much larger than in the past.

The block-plate serves as 2 tools for us, first for the "pinning" and second for the honing. It is used for both procedures.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The oil filtering mod is just a real good feature, and now is the time to do it, during a complete teardown. Even if you decide against using the filter setup it's nice to have it there if you change your mind! Here's a shot of the plate, the pinning setup, and the filter mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Block Plate-Guides.JPG (74.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Block-Pinned B.JPG (80.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead Oiling Mod B.JPG (72.3 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-23-2014 at 04:57 PM.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #84
Macdozer

Update. I brought the block to the machine shop and checked for cracks.
NO Cracks, good news. The bad news is that some of the cylinder walls do have some bad
pitting and the shop is recommending boring it 0.030 over.
He said he will try honing first. I was really hoping that I would not have to bore it out, is there any advice anyone can give me.

If I do get it bored to 0.030 over what are my options with new pistons, where can I get new ones from?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #85
Ol' Ron

99.9% of the flathead rebuilds never see a torque plate, including the originals. It's just a good idea, I think??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #86
Binx

Well, if he said he'd try to hone it but it may need .030" bore then don't pay him if he said he tried. More commonly available pistons are in the "even" range of .020,.040,.060 etc.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #87
Topsterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn John View Post
Get your self a STUMPY'S ENGINE STAND ADAPTER and save some later grief !
http://stumpysfabworks.weebly.com/st..._Products.html
Do you have an adress or phone number for this?
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #88
Macdozer

Update and question , the block has checked out ok but will need to be bored. The crankshaft also needs to be turned which wasn't a surprise to me it has some bad pitting on the journals.

I am wondering what to order for valve lifters? Should I get adjustable lifters?
Where is the best place to buy the valve parts from, guilds, lifters, ect...
Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #89
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdozer View Post
Update and question , the block has checked out ok but will need to be bored. The crankshaft also needs to be turned which wasn't a surprise to me it has some bad pitting on the journals.

I am wondering what to order for valve lifters? Should I get adjustable lifters?
Where is the best place to buy the valve parts from, guilds, lifters, ect...
Now's the time to use bronze-lined guides, they help keep the valves from "hanging/sticking" during longer periods of storage.

We use only the original "Johnson" tappets, SBI stainless valves, and most times Ross pistons. The Ross piston/moly-ring pkge allows for some extra HP.

We do use the OEM style 4-ring pistons on occasion but rarely.

You may want to consider a stroker kit, not sure about your budget??

(Add) "Happy New Year" to all here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The guides get lined, machined for seals, and we use the new "Viton" valve stem seals. This is all part of a pkge including 16 new guide locks (the horseshoe guide retainers), new seals, and a new set valve locks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Bronze Guides-Seals-Valves.JPG (76.0 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 12-31-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #90
Ol' Ron

Gary I think the guy is trying to save money on a stock rebuild. What you suggest is alittle overkill. 49-53 stock guides and valves. Knurel guides for tight fit and he's golden. #40 of stock spring pressure on a stock cam and you can use any adjustable lifter. Clearancing them the old fashon way is very expensive, IF you can find anyone to do it. Walt is along way off. We have to come up with some reasonable rebuilds so more people do it and don't start installing those belly button engines.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #91
Macdozer

Yes this is a stock rebuild. I was thinkinking of getting new valve guilds but would the old ones be ok to use if I can reuse the valves?

As for the adjustable lifters I see there are a few different types and was wondering what ones would be good for a stock rebuild.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #92
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Gary I think the guy is trying to save money on a stock rebuild. What you suggest is alittle overkill. 49-53 stock guides and valves. Knurel guides for tight fit and he's golden. #40 of stock spring pressure on a stock cam and you can use any adjustable lifter. Clearancing them the old fashon way is very expensive, IF you can find anyone to do it. Walt is along way off. We have to come up with some reasonable rebuilds so more people do it and don't start installing those belly button engines.
Ron:
Only 1st cup of tea so far, Brain ain't awake yet.
What is belly button engine ??

THANKS
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #93
Ol' Ron

Bill, that's funny???
Old 01-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #94
Macdozer

I see reds headers sells Johnson style adjustable lifters, solid and hollow wondering why the difference?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #95
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Ron:
Only 1st cup of tea so far, Brain ain't awake yet.
What is belly button engine ??

THANKS
A "belly button engine" makes reference to the ubiquitous Chevy small block engine, as like belly buttons, "everyone" seems to have one. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #96
Fordestes

Go fast, what are the part numbers for the valve seals ? or better yet what engine are they actally for , I have some left overs from sets of overhaul gasket kits , I dont want to starve my valves for oil by using the wrong ones,are the phospher bronze bushings from goodson a good way to go? how thick is your torque plate?
anyone know if a boring bar stand off plate for boring blocks without removing head studs will work in place of a torque plate?
Thank for you many contributions in the past ,I really learn a lot from all here!
Fordestes,
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #97
1939 pickup truck

This is all very interesting and helpful to many of us sitting on the side, as I too will
need to learn a great many small bits of vital information and looking to you folks.
Please pour all your knowledge and insights into this thread, as many will benefit.
Book recommendations, return links to past threads, insightful personal anecdotes...
Cheers !
1939 pickup truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #98
GOSFAST

1. Go fast, what are the part numbers for the valve seals ?

Ans. We order the seals from the mfr (Global), either 100 or 500 at a clip, depending on our inventory level at the time we order, our part number in the computer is VS-1025, not sure about the original mfr number? I don't have that available.

2. or better yet what engine are they actally for,

Ans. Not sure?? We buy them by size & material, .343" x .500" x Viton. There are other sizes but this fits the Flathead guides nicely.

3. are the phospher bronze bushings from goodson a good way to go?

Ans. The K-line or Goodson liners are the brand we use, #KL-1958 I believe is correct number.

4. how thick is your torque plate?

Ans. The plate measures 1.500" and has been made in house to handle a few different operations, the 2 main ones being the final honing and locating the dowel pins.

5. anyone know if a boring bar stand off plate for boring blocks without removing head studs will work in place of a torque plate?

Ans. Would most likely be a bad idea, not much boring from the deck surfaces is being done anymore, most are done from the mains.

6. Thank for you many contributions in the past , I really learn a lot from all here!

Ans. Thanks, you're very welcome.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We make much of our own tooling, dedicated to each procedure. We have a very specific setup to install & size the bronze liners in the Flathead guides. With the block plate setup as it was built we are able to dowel-pin a block here today and install pre-pinned heads (maybe done at a much later time) for a perfect fit. It makes every pinning operation "standardized".
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #99
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
A "belly button engine" makes reference to the ubiquitous Chevy small block engine, as like belly buttons, "everyone" seems to have one. DD

Yea But does it matter if it is a inny or a outty when they figure H.P. rating ~ LOL ~
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #100
Macdozer

If I go with Johnson style adjustable lifters do I have to drill a hole in the lifter bores in the valley ? Or can adjustment be make without drilling the hole?