Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
34 FORDOR

Default Repro Lincoln Zephyr gears

Any one had problems fitting repro gears? The main drive gear will not go all the way into the housing with out jamming on the main shaft. ( Had to work on repro syncro rings to make them fit correctly )Have tried an original stock drive gear and it fits up ok. If I space the gear out with a second circlip , about .060, it fits up ok but I loose some tooth contact with the cluster. It appears the main drive gear is about .060 longer on the gear end ?. Henry got it right why cant they do it today.
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Repro Lincoln Zephyr gears

I have done a lot of transmissions thru the years including several recently with original Lincoln gears. About a year ago, I got involved with a transmission with the repo Lincoln gears. What a Pain in the A**. I had to get a bit "creative" to get all the clearances acceptable and everything to fit correctly. It worked fine when it was done but I agree with you, why couldn't they make the stuff correctly in the first place?

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Karl Wolf

Get Mac Van Pelt into this one... He's a straight shooter, knows his stuff. Stands behind what his sells/ does, from my experience.
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
oldblue

True enough Van Pelt knows his stuff and will at least be a sympathetic ear .
Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Fred A

Default Mixed Gears

Only time I ever used the recent imports was mixed with USA maingear and second that probably came from the era when you could buy them at Western Auto or Pep Boys, Only use for those gears is when close ratios were for specific needs, like a 4.11 rear and perhaps an overdirve, just as Lincoln used them. Now almost 50 years later I still hoarde the Zephyr OD transmissions, for little reason but perhaps I'll need them..NOT! Lots of really goofy ideas out there about gear ratios, much about LZ s. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
34 FORDOR

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Contacted Mac Van Pelt , he was very helpful . I tried using different thickness caskets , circlips,and syncro rings this all helped and gave clearance, but allowed the bearings to move forward and aft. So decided to have the bearings fit tight in the housing and made up a 20 gauge steel spacer to fit behind rear bearing. This worked well and gave correct clearance for the syncro rings and allowed everything to run free.
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote