Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
edhd58

Default Crap in the carb???

Just put a hone and rering back together. 226 G six cylinder

I am 100 % sure;

a) the cam is in time with the crank
b)the distributor is in correctly
c) It has good blue spark
c) its getting fuel through the carb, I can watch the accelerator pump squirt when I work the throttle
d) it idles like crap and wont come off idle
e) i set the carb float by eye but it should have fuel only about 2/3 the way up the bowl

whats the chances setting dried something out and now i have crap in the carb passages???
it ran fine before the tear down, it just knocked really bad
it floods really easy now
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Ggmac

Default Re: Crap in the carb???

Have you checked spark after it shuts down when accelerated? Sounds like not enough spark , loose wires in dist or low voltage in ignition , or of course a blocked passage in carb .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Frank Miller

Are plug wires on correctly. Check timing and point setting. Vacuum leak and advance?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Greg58

All the above are good ideas, if you do have blocked passages in the carb I have used brake fluid to dissolve the varnish in old carbs. Remove anything you don't want damaged and add brake fluid in every passage and let it set, later blow it out with air.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
edhd58

Timing may be the issue. I have it set retarded assert the moment because the plunger leather is gone and i set so the plunger will not touch the distributor plate. This thought was that would advance the timing as soon the motor was spinning. I'm waiting to get the new parts and will set it up right then.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
tubman

I know nothing about the 6 cylinder carburetor, but if it is made by Holley, does it have a power valve like the V8's? A blown power valve will cause flooding. Just throwing it out there.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
edhd58

Is that also known an accelerator pump? It does have one of those. But it squirts up high don't know if it could be leaking or not.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
scicala

The Holley model 847 used on the 226 flathead 6 cyls. does not use the same type power valve as the Holley 94 type cars. So it can't rupture and leak fuel into the manifold. It uses a brass vacuum piston and rod that opens a brass power valve in the bottom of the bowl.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
edhd58

Frank Miller, plug wires are on, in all the way and in correct order. I actually didnt take them off the cap and theyre still in the tube. Gonna pull the distributor and check the gap, and I am checking into any vacuum leaks possible

Greg58, thanks for the brake fluid idea, i would never have thought of that

scicala, I do have the Holley 847, took it all apart sprayed brake cleaner through all the ports and they all seem unblocked

Sunday I think I'll pull the timing cover off and just re-verify everything. I dont know what else to do at this point
Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
edhd58

Well folks, it wasnt crap in the carb, bad spark or vacuum leak or anything else like that.
The vacuum brake plunger is bad (no leather) so I had it backed all the way off. I ordered it and a starter bendix from Barnfind08 and they came today. I decided to put the vacuum brake plunger in before I started tearing into the thing, because I was 99% sure I had everything set right.
After a bit of cranking it fired up, ran a little rough for a few seconds then cleared its throat and started purring like a kitten.
It starts now just bumping the starter, has no knocks and sounds great and revs great.
I dont know who turned me on to Barnfind08, but I sure do say thanks to him and Barnfind08 for having the parts for a G six cylinder.