Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
1stford

Default Engine problem or normal?

I’m in Need some flat head experience. You can look back at any engine pictures on my restoration thread if there’s additional questions. So everything is up and running, seems to be running well EXCEPT I’ve got some anti freeze coming out the overflow when I drive. Doesn’t look like a ton I can just see it on the frame. It’s not running hot, oil looks great but oil pressure does seem low, it has since start up, about 5 at idol and 12 when driving. Is all that normal for a stock 8BA?

Thanks.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
AlexLohmann1

Default Re: Engine problem or normal?

Any blockage in the water jackets or something? Not sure how soon that overflow issue starts but no not typically "normal" soon after starting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
AlexLohmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
drolston

Oil pressure is definitely not normal. My 59A had rods knocking and compression under 70 lb and still held 40 PSI at speed and 10 at idle. Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge before you panic. If the pressure is real, I suspect the oil pressure relief valve is bad. Otherwise you would be hearing some expensive noises. Worry about the overflow later.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Greg58

Hows your radiator cap? My 50 would lose a little before I replaced the cap. Mine was the original so my guess is the spring had lost it tension.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
edhd58

The antifreeze issue could be as simple as overfill if you have no catch can. Coolant will expand as it gets hot then reduce as it cools. Mine stays just about an inch over the tubes. Could also be cap is bad, mine does run a 4 lb cap now, but 0 pounds was normal when it was new. Let the coolant level itself before panic if its not running hot.

I have no suggestions about the oil pressure except it does sound low.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
1stford

My radiator cap is one I bought from Drake I believe.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

On the oil pressure, one simple test would be to disconnect the by-pass oil filter connection at the fitting at the rear of the engine and block the outlet with a plug. See if that makes any difference in the oil pressure. Also, how are you measuring the oil pressure, stock gauge or an aftermarket gauge? I would connect an aftermarket gauge if you don't already have one and see what it reads. It would be easy to connect it where the oil filter connection is currently.

Anyone remember the old rule of thumb, I think it was something like 10 psi for each 10 mph?

Last edited by JSeery; 04-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
I’m in Need some flat head experience. You can look back at any engine pictures on my restoration thread if there’s additional questions. So everything is up and running, seems to be running well EXCEPT I’ve got some anti freeze coming out the overflow when I drive. Doesn’t look like a ton I can just see it on the frame. It’s not running hot, oil looks great but oil pressure does seem low, it has since start up, about 5 at idol and 12 when driving. Is all that normal for a stock 8BA?

Thanks.
Oil pressure could be from light weight oil. Use 20/50 Castrol. You didn't say what year your car is. Early fords have the over flow tube from the top of the radiator. The back restriction of flow through the radiator due to the size and length of the radiator tubes cause the coolant to back up in the top tank and is pushed out the over flow. Skip Haney has a 4 lb valve that go's on the bottom end of the over flow tube which cures this, This valve must be flushed several times a year. On later radiators there is a washer like seat
down at the bottom of the filler neck. A WORKING 4 lb pressure cap will keep the coolant from being pushed out. BUT the bottom rubber seal on
the bottom of the pressure cap must hit and seal down at the bottom of
the filler neck. This has to hit at the bottom before the under side of the
top of the cap hits the top of the filler neck. If it's working you will feel the spring action of the bottom seal before the underside of the top of the cap hits the top of the filler neck. With Skips valve or a working pressure cap
fill the 22 quart system up to about 1" from the top of the filler neck. As long as the temperature never gets above 210 the coolant will stay filled
for over a year. I found most pressure caps don't hit the bottom and use
a red rubber gasket silicone to the bottom seat. Picture attached. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 RADIATOR TUBES-1.jpg (53.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
Mart

On a fresh build the water may be finding it's own level. See if it stops losing it after a while, but obviously monitor the level and make sure there is enough in there (covering the tops of the fins) and that you don't have a runaway overheating problem.

Re the oil, as said, check with a mechanical gauge before panicking, but do it soon because those numbers are very low. I'm not familiar with 8BAs but do they have the plug behind the cam gear? Not having that may give desparately oil pressure readings.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
flatheadmurre

I would check the oilpump...if the relief valve is stuck open or the spring is bad you get that kind of issues.
Even with a thin oil i expect to see a bigger raise in pressure at increased rpm.
And already mentioned use a mechanical gauge first.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Talkwrench

That would be 10lbs per 1000 RPM , which would be fine for a flathead.. If its a new build you have something wrong I'd say..
Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
That would be 10lbs per 1000 RPM ..
Thanks Talkwrench, I didn't think per mph sounds right!

Last edited by JSeery; 04-10-2018 at 05:09 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
Tinker

I don't know much about the 8bas, but if it's running a electric fuel pump and the oil hole isn't blocked would that have any effect? Just throwing stuff out.

Also most earlier coolant setups puke a little water before finding its level if overfilled. If your running cool then your cool I'd say. Wait and see.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
tubman

C'mon, you guys. He said "12 when driving". I doubt that he does much driving at that RPM and below. This figure seriously violates the "10 lbs per 1000 RPM" rule everyone likes to quote. I personally think that rule should not apply to an engine in reasonable shape. Neither did the Ford engineers, who designed the relief valve to open at 57 psi. There is a serious problem with the gauge or the engine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
Tinker

Someone used to say anything above 0 is better then not. Different time.

Might need some bearing work. but a straight 30w will get ya up around 25-35ish. Probably run for yrs that way...

But ya get a different gauge on it.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #16
petehoovie

This, from Ron Bishop's book "Rebuilding The Famous Ford Flathead" - Page 51 - "Ford used 40 non-detergent oil (Summer) in all of the flathead motors. The flathead oil system ran between 10-15 pounds of pressure, but is not considered a pressurized system by today's standards."

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:43 AM   #17
tubman

Please remember, we're talking an 8BA here. Just because you read it in a book, doesn't make it correct.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #18
flatheadmurre

Even badly worn engines with zero pressure at idle usually goes higher then 12 when rpm is increased...
A little history on the engine perhaps what has been done to it ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #19
JWL
Member Emeritus

I agree with all the others----if the readings are accurate the oil pressure is wayyyyy too low. Need to find that problem first. Follow JSeery instructions if they apply to your system.

If the radiator cap is a pressure regulator there should not be puking unless the rad. is overfilled.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #20
Capt Kirk

I have a similar oil pressure situation on my very low mile 59AB. I bought a new sender when the car was restored and am using the original gauge. Like you, I posted my low oil pressure concern here and a point was brought up that the sender I purchased may not be correctly matched to the original gauge...if I remember correctly, there's a 50psi and an 80 psi sender. I found the original sender and will swap it once I get the car out for the season. I don't have a mechanical gauge but could add one temporarily to compare readings. Just a thought.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote