Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
JOES31

Default Oil Filtering Advice

I need some advice from you Model A experts.

My 1931 A Tudor has no oil filter. I was thinking about adding one. There seem to be two different kits. One that attaches to the side valve cover and one attaches to the front timing gear housing. Could someone please explain what the difference is and which is best to use.

My other question on filtering is.....My A when hot and running has very little oil pressure. So how does the oil get forced through the filter element with little or no pressure? I would think anything less than 15psi would not do an efficient job of filtering oil. It almost seems like the add on filter kits would do little to filter the oil.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Joe
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Richard in Anaheim CA

Default Re: Oil Filtering Advice

At the risk of offending those using either or both of those kits, I understand they both work reasonably well but they are "bypass filters". They only work after the bearings receive their oil and have a little reserve to "bypass" through the filter

The only way to have a "full flow" filter is by modifying the oil pump to prevent oil from going up into the valve chamber as designed by Ford. All the oil must be pumped through the filter from the plug on the side of the block and back into a "manifold" that you, or someone must build. Big difference.

You must built your engine "tight" so the oil doesn't leak out and lose the pressure.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
marc hildebrant

Joe,

I feel that the Model A is best left to the original design. It's easy to drain and change the oil and since it doesn't get driven that much the oil stays clean enough without a filter.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
James Rogers

Actually Richard, the Afordable filter will filter almost all the oil before it goes to the bearings. With this system, the oil is pumped up past the distributor drive and into the tube which leads to the front of the valve chamber where it is picked up by a tube and run through the filter and deposited back into the chamber where it would be in the original system. The only oil that escapes this is the oil which bypasses the tube and is leaked (for lack of a better word) past the cam gear into the chamber and back into the pan. This is the best system in my opinion because of this. Some will not like it because it won't filter 100% of the oil, some just won't like it or any type of filter because of just any reason they can think of. The last word is, if you think it works, wheres the harm except to your wallet.

Also, the Model A pump will make plenty of pressure but, in the original system, there is no restriction to make pressure until that restriction is introduced into the system. Adding a filter will add a small amount of restriction because of the anti bleed back valve built into it. This will most times cause your gauge to show a couple more pounds of pressure.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Tom Endy

I have used the A-Fordable filter on two different Model A's and four different engines. My Vic has 44,500 miles I put on it. Each time I have dropped the pan or removed the valve cover the inside of the engine is extremely clean. The A-Fordable kit has the filter sitting horizontal at the front of the aluminum valve cover provided with the kit. Inside the valve chamber right behind the filter is a carefully bent pipe that slips into the oil port that comes straight from the oil pump. The oil is ported directly into the filter. The oil exits the filter right next to pipe and fills the dams in the valve chamber and then pours over the forward dam right onto the timing gear. The design is such that all the oil being pumped up to the valve chamber goes through the filter before it goes into the valve chamber.

If you are a purest and don't like the looks of the filter, best to leave it off. If you drive your car a lot and want to keep the inside of the engine clean I would recommend installing the A-Fordable kit.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
James Rogers

Tom, I agree with you on this 100%. The other systems don 't filter much of the oil in their original form. I have had one setup in the shop that looked pretty good for filtering but was dubious for cam gear lubrication. This system had the top of the pump sealed by filling the notches with JB weld and turning it smooth and adding an O ring to seal it and routing the oil out of the port on the side of the motor, through the filter via a remote filter and, back into the valve cover at the front where it could flood the chamber and overflow into the cam gear. I think the flood in the valve chamber leaked back into the cam gear giving it some lubrication. I still would use the A-ford-able setup because of reliability and ease of installation.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
V4F

i only use WIX filters as ive been told most others have taken paper out to cut cost .....
Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
John LaVoy

I agree on the A-Fordable filters. We have them on several cars and it is nice not to have to change the oil on our long tours. When we reviewed the filters several years ago our concern with that system was the orientation of the filter (sticking out from the side of the engine) we found a Ford part that positions the filter hanging down from the side of the block (this allows you to change the filter with out losing oil running down the block). You can get this part from speedway motors.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Joe,

I feel that the Model A is best left to the original design. It's easy to drain and change the oil and since it doesn't get driven that much the oil stays clean enough without a filter.

Marc
I was thinking of adding an oil filter but changed my mind on that for my car. I figure i might get 500-750 miles in a season and dropping the oil twice would likely be better than a filter... To each owner, and each of their cars to themselves.. Thoses who put 10k + miles per season it likely is better to add a filter.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Roger V

Agree with Post #4 and do like Post #8. Have that style on two of my A's. While changing oil frequently helps, using detergent oil keeps particles in suspension which can abrade until the next oil change. A filter is removing most or at least some of those particles.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

People worry too much about keeping their oil clean.

Modern oil with its additives works great for a long time. The A engine is designed to eat dirt from dirt roads of the 30's. You will not likely see a fraction of the dirt of the old days.

Run without the filter and do not waste your money and the natural resources by changing the oil too soon.

If your engine is going to fail it is not because of dirt in the oil. It will fail because someone did not build it right. Without a filter you should expect at least 50,000 miles on the engine.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Allanw

Well said Kevin.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Dave in MN

I have an inserted engine with 69,000 miles on it and it has had the Afordable oil filter on it since it was put into service. I change the oil and filter about every 3,000 miles. I believe the filter has a lot to do with the engines longevity and a filter should be used on inserted engines. I have never had the pan off this engine...no need to yet.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
JOES31

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the comments and the wise advice. Since the car probably won't get more than 1,000 miles a year I'll keep it like it is, original. Heck even if it gets 2,000 miles a year that's 25 years. It works for me.

Thanks Again,

Joe
Old 05-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
Chris Haynes

There is no finer filter than the Frantz Oil Cleaner.
http://frantzfilters.com/
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
JOES31

Wow

I didn't know they still made those things any longer. If I am correct that is the one that uses the roll of toilet paper. My Father put one on his new 68 chevy pick up truck when he bought it. Still have the truck with the original engine and trans with 250,000 miles on it. Engine still runs and has never been rebuilt.

Only problem is on the A where would you tap off for the oil and there isn't enough pressure to make the Franz work.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

So oil filters are for road dirt, hey?
What about metal filings from internal wear of rings, bearings, gears, etc.
Those of you who are filter naysayers need only remove the side cover and wipe your finger along the bottom of the valve chamber. Then report back if you discovered any metal filings. Or maybe lots of 'em. No chance they could work their way into the oil hole for a main or anything. Then think about the bottom of the pan and the bottom of the dipper trays...couldn't possibly be any metal filings in their, either.....
Try it, and report back what you find.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
So oil filters are for road dirt, hey?
What about metal filings from internal wear of rings, bearings, gears, etc.
Those of you who are filter naysayers need only remove the side cover and wipe your finger along the bottom of the valve chamber. Then report back if you discovered any metal filings. Or maybe lots of 'em. No chance they could work their way into the oil hole for a main or anything. Then think about the bottom of the pan and the bottom of the dipper trays...couldn't possibly be any metal filings in their, either.....
Try it, and report back what you find.
Ermmm... metal filings big enough to get caught in an oil filter are NOT normal wear and tear.

An average oil filter only filter down to about 20-25 microns.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #19
tbirdtbird
BANNED

does that mean you accepted the challenge and pulled the side cover and found no grit?
ever pull a side cover at all?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #20
scooder

What about the oil that sits in the dipper tray? This don't get changed in normal drain and refill service. I don't see a reason not to fit a filter.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote