Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
nick c

Default Paint, urethane and acrylic urethane

I've been restoring my 29 AA, complete rolling chassis dismantled sandblasted and primed valpar epoxy primer HS35 with hardener and reducer, Valspar black topcoat single stage urethane 2K. When I go online rock moss green is reasonably priced in acrylic urethane. Could someone explain to me the difference between urethane and acrylic urethane.

thanks nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
HDowse

Default Re: Paint, urethane and acrylic urethane

Nick,
Here’s a good explanation from Hemmings. I’ve used both types of paints and find the newer urethane 2K paint superior in application and wet sanding. I’ve also found that the older acrylic seems brittle around inside corners. With that said, I still shoot good old DuPont 99A acrylic black on fenders or the Model T.
Link: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...e/1538643.html
Hunt
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
mike657894

not to be a corrector. but that dupont paint is acrylic enamel which is about the cheapest stuff you can get that will deal with prolonged sunlight. I have it on my car it cost $100 to paint the car $30 per quart. It is prone to chipping and is hard to shoot well. Acrylic urethane is two stage pretty nice to work with and will give good results for the price. but is more than AE. Urethane 2k is more pro level and is going to cost like that. I think the hobbyist should probably use AU. Im no pro so I could be wrong about what I say here but just trying to be helpful. ive done about 5 paint jobs some tractor paint oil enamel. a few autos in AE. and most recently a fender and bumper in AU. I will use AU next time I paint a full car or truck its well worth the cost.

EDIT: correction upon google searching 2k, i dont know what that is. i had assumed it was the good ppg. looks more affordable than that.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
not to be a corrector. but that dupont paint is acrylic enamel which is about the cheapest stuff you can get that will deal with prolonged sunlight. I have it on my car it cost $100 to paint the car $30 per quart. It is prone to chipping and is hard to shoot well. Acrylic urethane is two stage pretty nice to work with and will give good results for the price. but is more than AE. Urethane 2k is more pro level and is going to cost like that. I think the hobbyist should probably use AU. Im no pro so I could be wrong about what I say here but just trying to be helpful. ive done about 5 paint jobs some tractor paint oil enamel. a few autos in AE. and most recently a fender and bumper in AU. I will use AU next time I paint a full car or truck its well worth the cost.

EDIT: correction upon google searching 2k, i dont know what that is. i had assumed it was the good ppg. looks more affordable than that.

Mike, DuPont has not manufactured automotive paints in over 3 years.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Acrylics are vulnerable to softening from gasoline.