Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
WHN

Default Re: Gas tank seeping.

I think if you use a good quality sealer, and follow the directions to the “T”, it will work for you.

Remove tank, coat at least twice, and let tank stand for a couple of days before the second or third coating.

Take your time!!!! Read instructions!!!! Don’t take short cuts!!!!

We have had really good luck doing this. I even think that a good sealer will seal over one that was not done properly. If they seal over rust, why not other potential problems.

What do you have to loose.

Last edited by WHN; 10-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
37 Coupe

Not sure,just I have been following parts like NOS 37-36 Ford parts for years and not Model A,just wondered if ever shown up.I imagine that a NOS would be rust and fatigue free if stored properly. Some NOS parts were manufacture seconds and needed work when it came to a dealership at least sheet metal parts. I bought a NOS 46 Ford fender once that had an issue when stamping out and I was told parts like this were never tossed but depended on the body shop to address.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
Tinbasher

I think as a stop gap repair you should add the later 31 style brace. This will help take the pressure off of the tank. Then you can clean up around the old bracket and seal it with "Seal-all" gas tank sealer or the epoxy gas tank repair kit. This will buy you some time but in the end you'll be removing the tank and doing it properly.

Hope this helps The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Someone put the dash mount on my 29 Tudor, then soldered the bracket without removing the tank. You can see the thick solder around the bracket, but it's well sealed, and the tank looks like new inside. You can use the large old soldering coppers to safely solder the tank.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #25
29Cabriolet

I too was a victim of this tank damage due to the steering wheel mount. I did not want to remove the tank either. But in response to some advice (even some scoldings to "do it right" from this forum) I did. It was not an easy task but in the long run beneficial. In the process, since the firewall is part of the tank I replaced all the ignition wiring as well. For the tank I removed the riveted mount and TIG welded the the rivet holes. Then had the inside coated by a radiator shop. Repainted the entire tank with a rattle can. Color is one slight shade lighter but un-noticeable. 3 years later, not a drop leaking.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #26
Lee Mitch

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My restored car developed this same exact problem. I installed the later style bracket from the dash after the problem developed. My plan was to "seal" around the old bracket where it was weeping, but in 2 years there is no evidence of any gasoline weepage around the old bracket. Go figure!? Maybe that will be your easy way out as, so far, it has been for me.
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #27
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Mendonca View Post
My 1931 model A pickup truck gas tank is seeping where the steering wheel shaft attaches to the bottom of the tank. I am looking for an easy way out, like something you put into the tank. I suspect the previous owner used a pour in sealer. I have owned this 1931 Model A pickup truck for 2 years and I saw evidence of a leak but now it is more obvious. I understand ethanol eats away at some of the pour in sealers.

Is there an easy way out for this?
Gas seepage or leaks of any kind are bothersome from a safety standpoint. And doing a repair with sealer does not solve the original leak problem, it just band-aides it! And once the sealer starts breaking down, ya got bigger problems. The easy safe way to fix this is really not easy but is the right way. Take out the tank, and do it right! Everything else in my estimation, just prolongs the agony.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #28
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Gas seepage or leaks of any kind are bothersome from a safety standpoint. And doing a repair with sealer does not solve the original leak problem, it just band-aides it! And once the sealer starts breaking down, ya got bigger problems. The easy safe way to fix this is really not easy but is the right way. Take out the tank, and do it right! Everything else in my estimation, just prolongs the agony.
Like many who have posted on this thread, you seem to assume the sealer will break down. Why? I used sealer for the first time over 20 years ago and that tank still doesn't leak a drop. It is one where I used one of my 1931 style column support brackets and then sealed the tank. I expect better sealers are available now than when I did that, too.
A good quality sealer properly applied will outlast us and most likely, the car.
I've also had good success when treating a rusty tank by using phosphoric acid (which leaves a white powdery residue) to clean out the rust, then using the best sealer I can find. In my most recent job, I solved both problems (rust and a leak) at the same time.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #29
dmaxweb

I used 31 bracket and sealed around tank bracket with Marine-Tex Gray epoxy. 8+ years and not a drop leaking.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #30
Paul Bjarnason

I just bought an NOS Model A tank at the latest Hershey. Until I stumbled upon it, I didn't think they existed.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #31
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbearson View Post
I just bought an NOS Model A tank at the latest Hershey. Until I stumbled upon it, I didn't think they existed.
Was it a '31? or an earlier one?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #32
HoarseWhisperer

After the "stop gap" methods; the permanent method. Right TinBasher?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #33
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
I ain't recommending this procedure for everyone, it did work for me. shortly after restoring my roadster 32 years ago, my column bracket started to seep. not wanting to remove the tank and damage the paint, I did the following: sandblasted the area around the bracket without damaging the surrounding paint (not easy). ran a hose from another cars exhaust into filler hole, a needed safety measure. with a common propane hand held torch, heated area til old solder ran out. did this twice. resoldered with with acid core, keeping heat mainly on bracket to draw solder in. cleaned up area carefully, and repainted with rattle can. over 33000 mi and still ok. this was a desperation effort, but it worked.

Thanks for the ingenious tip, never would have thought of this on my own!
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:32 AM   #34
Oldbluoval

I have bought 2 nos late 31 tanks in the last 5 years
Both shinny as a new penny inside!
Felt very lucky to find them ......not cheap!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #35
ericr

does anyone have any inside information that someone might manufacture the alternate bracket specially designed for 28-29s?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #36
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
does anyone have any inside information that someone might manufacture the alternate bracket specially designed for 28-29s?
I did that for RHD cars. The supports are not available (as far as I know) for RHD cars. They were introduced in 1931 and no Model As were sold here that year. My supports work for both body styles. I bought a LHD one and cut it up to make a pattern to have them cast in aluminium which I heat treat so it can be drilled and tapped easily.
If there is a market for what you want over there, I suggest modifying a 1931 bracket to fit, then usung it as a pattern to do the same as I did.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Mendonca View Post
My 1931 model A pickup truck gas tank is seeping where the steering wheel shaft attaches to the bottom of the tank. I am looking for an easy way out, like something you put into the tank. I suspect the previous owner used a pour in sealer. I have owned this 1931 Model A pickup truck for 2 years and I saw evidence of a leak but now it is more obvious. I understand ethanol eats away at some of the pour in sealers.

Is there an easy way out for this?
Any Gasoline leakage needs to be fixed right! To me it is just a plain safety issue. The point of leakage is a common one. Using sealers is not the choice I would make. For me the tank needs to come out and that part of the tank fixed right by a pro! Again, gasoline leaks can be dangerous!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote