Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
flathead 53

Default carb 1949/53

Any one running a rochester or other 2bbl on their 49/53 flathead? If so how is performance and economy? What about using the 4bolt to 3 bolt aluminum adapter,or changing to the 49/53 mercury intake that is 4 bolt.thank you
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: carb 1949/53

Early chev roch on the 4 bolt Merc intake. Mount carb backwards so linkage almost

falls into place. You'll have to file out the attaching holes in the carb base a little......
guys love them.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
tubman

I am running a couple. Like Charlie, I use a bored out Mercury manifold. I have a jig that bolts on the manifold mounting surface that acts as a guide for a Rotabroach to bore the holes all the way down. The only linkage that doesn't line up when you mount the carburetor backwards is the choke. To get around this, I used the automatic chokes on the 2G's which do line up. I have one on a Canadian aluminum manifold that uses an integral choke (the choke stove is on the carb), and all I had to do was shorten the heat tube about an inch. The other uses a divorced choke (choke stove on the manifold) on a cast Iron manifold. To make that work, all I had to do was bend the connecting link slightly. It's like the General designed these carbs to be used on 8BA's.

As for mileage, I have only checked mine once. Last summer I took a jaunt to visit "flatheadmurre" on his annual trip to Minnesota. I covered 265 freeway miles averaging close to 70 and got 19 mpg for the trip. This is not stellar, but this is with a '51 Ford with 3.55 rear gears and NO overdrive. Other than that, I haven't noticed any difference than when I had a 94 on it. The performance is significantly better that before, but I think that's due to the fresh Merc engine with Edmunds heads and a Mallory dual point as well as the carb.

As you can see, I am very happy with the combination. One thing to be aware of is that this is true only for the "small base" 2G's. The vast majority of 2G's out there are "large base" and would take a lot of fooling around to make them fit. I have found the supply of good rebuildable "small base" cores is rapidly drying up. Hopefully, someone will chime in and tell me I'm wrong and point to an endless supply.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
flathead 53

thank you ,just wondering if it is worth doing.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
tubman

I think it is a good upgrade for a modified street flathead, but remember that if you change the carburetor, you will probably have to change the distributor too. At first, I was a little apprehensive about running the carburetor backwards on the manifold, but that causes no problems and looks normal.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote