Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
mike657894

Default New original style valves new outlook. as original as possible.

Everyone will build or enjoy their car their own way. Today I set clearances on my 8 new valves. I didnt have a plan going in. I set a rest to push the stem into the round of a belt sander and rotating the valve while grinding. I only had one burnt valve before the rebuild but the removal of the guides bent the valves and I was planning on replacing guides. I got a box of new old stock valves without packaging for a song. I filed the ridges off of the top of the lifters and moved the cam and got started. The block is a diamond block with hardened exhaust seats. the exhaust valves dropped in with 4 thousandths clearance. the intake were above seat by .010. I'm thinking that is because the hardened seats took lapping or valve seat cutting with less material removed. I set them all to .015. If my lifters were not reusable I would probably get adjustable lifters because I like adjustable stuff.

My new out look is to use and repair the babbitt and the original style valves. And just enjoy my car the way it was back then. Because thats what makes me smile. And you do what makes you smile.

sorry for the low quality pictures. my camera is blurry.

mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote