Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Recent sales of parts on the Swap Meet section

BTW thank you to all the buyers for helping me get rid of parts I don't need anymore.

Short summary for those who don't have time to read the long winded funny story:

Please when you buy something from the swap section:

-Tell the seller your real name and email address and Fordbarn handle
-Write on the check or paypal comment what parts you are paying for
-Don't just write on your check "Model A parts" write out what Model A parts
-If you don't get your parts within 10 days contact the seller. 30+ days later is too much time to wait.

Long winded funny story: The following narrative is not meant to be complaining but a morality play about how mix ups may happen when buying parts on Fordbarn. I recently had for sale 10+ batches of Model A parts by using the swap meet section of FordBarn after selling out of Model A cars. At least one guy got the wrong parts. How might that happen you might ask? Well many Fordbarners have a different online name than their real name like me MrTexas. Then some that bought parts from me didn't write on their check or paypal comment what parts they were buying so that left me guessing who they were and where they lived. Must have guessed wrong at least once. Finally after a month a nice Barner emailed me back wondering whether I had got the check yet. Yes, I said and gave him the fedex tracking number. Yes he got the box but it didn't have the parts he wanted in it! Drats! Turns out he was getting 4-5 packages a week of Model A parts and didn't notice the parts were wrong! Well mistakes occasionally happen! I had already re-sold one of the parts he wanted to someone else. Turns out I still had one of the parts he needed for his high point restoration which I thought was quite lucky. Well since I sent one guy the wrong box I figured I must have sent someone else the wrong box or no box at all. Well turns out I sent buyer A what buyer B should have gotten and buyer B got nothing. After a month buyer B hadn't contacted me to tell me he hadn't got what he payed for. I contacted buyer B and asked if he got what he paid for. Thankfully all involved including me didn't get upset about mistakes happening. I try to send tracking numbers ASAP as I get payment. The hobby is supposed to be for fun.

Several people sent me envelopes with a check inside with no description so I had to go over multiple emails/PMs to figure out what parts by the total amount. Turns out a couple total amounts were identical. Quite more of a mystery than I wished for. Then I had to review the shipping histories on USPS and fedex to see who got a package. One buyer sent me a check for the items without including postage. Later he emailed asking where his package was. Well, I said you paid for the items but not the postage. Wonder whether he would have mailed the second check if I had mailed the package before I got the check for the postage?

99.9% of the parts I have bought have come either from Ebay or Fordbarn and almost none from swap meet.

Last edited by mrtexas; 06-14-2017 at 10:10 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
FlatHeadCoupe

Default Re: Recent sales of parts on the Swap Meet section

mrtexas,
Thank you for posting your experiences. All points were well made. Any information shared between buyers and sellers before and after the sale, assures a satisfactory transaction. We are all in this to keep those Fords on the road.
Regards,
FlatHeadCoupe
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
19Fordy

Default Re: Recent sales of parts on the Swap Meet section

Your points have merit.
As a seller, I also find it helpful to keep a running list
of the name and address of the person buying, his Fordbarn name,
and the part he is buying.
It can get confusing.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote