Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2016, 12:58 AM   #1

Default 1932 Roadster Rubber Mat's

Anyone know of a source for both Passenger Compartment AND Trunk Rubber Matting that would fit and be period correct for a 1932 Roadster? I only want it in Black though.
Thanks!
1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson "45" / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S
1962300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Floyd

Default Re: 1932 Roadster Rubber Mat's

You must be working on a standard roadster. For deluxe models, the old V8 shop tools are at Carpenter's. However only in taupe, I believe. For the rear, I do not know of any rubber mats available. For deluxe, according to Dave, most of the roadsters actually came with carpet for the rear. Lebarron Bonney made me one out of the brown square weave. ( for deluxe) . Someone will probably have a creative solution for you.
Just an opinion.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
DavidG

Both standard and deluxe roadsters used the same taupe floor mats. Only very early deluxe roadsters came with carpeting in the rumble compartment. Standard roadsters, standard coupes and deluxe coupes without rumble seats had no mat in the rear compartment.

I do not recall any reproduction '32 mats that were black.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
hb32

Not roadster specific but found an early repro black mat for my 32 pickup

Last edited by hb32; 02-22-2016 at 12:02 AM.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
DavidG

Good to know. Because of the shorter cowl on pickups and other commercial vehicles (panel deliveries and station wagons) and big trucks, the front portion of their mats is shorter than the mats for passenger cars so the mats are not interchangeable.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Deuce-Addict

Sorry to hijack the thread, if anyone finds out who actually makes the repro mats (i.e. the manufacturer rather than vendor) I would love to know. I have the issue of right hand drive cars with mats that are pre cut for left hand drive and would ideally like to start with an uncut blank rather than face trying to mend / patch the holes and then somehow paint the rubber. I mailed several of the vendors and those that replied said they were all bought in pre made and they couldn't help.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
DavidG

Keith,

As you know, I have the same challenge with my phaeton. I figured that it would likely take as many as three LHD mats to make one correct RHD mat. That would border on the criminal given the on-again, off-again history of reproduction mat availability, but given the car's history I'll likely do it. I do not know how to avoid the cutting, patching, and painting in order to achieve the defined area around the pedals and steering column that is the mirror image of that area in the upper left corner of the LHD mat. (I've been through that process several times already to save damaged or worn original mats so I'm confident of the result.)

In any event, the only manufacturer of the '32 mats currently is Dennis Carpenter Industries. I do not know if they are presently making the '32 mat as I understand that their mold was damaged and had to be replaced.