Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
David R.

Default Engine Rebuild Parts

Getting ready to overhaul engine for my AA. What brands or suppliers do you use for engine rebuild parts: rings, pistons, valves, guides,rebabbitted rods, etc.,.?
Also, would you grind and re use original valves if all stems measure to specs and none appear burnt or damaged, or are new ones better?
I plan to replace valve springs and install adjustable double lock tappets.
Never done an A engine before. Any experienced input appreciated.
Thanks, David R.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Engine Rebuild Parts

A couple of years ago I had my motor rebuilt, and the following were recommendations.

Do not remember all the reasons why, single lock tappets with the right base diameter are recommended. If the base is too small, not large enough diameter to match the cam lobe face, the tappet and cam wears excessively very fast. I believe there is also a preferred manufacturer of adjustable tappets. I did have to take my truck back to the rebuilder because one tappet would not hold adjustment. The rebuilder said that it happens occasionally and replaced the tappet. I do not know of using some Loctite on the adjuster tappets would help. Here is one string on the subject, if you search there is lots more strings on the subject. Look especially at post #8.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=valve+tappets.

Also recommended is replacing the head studs/nuts. Search and you will find the info.

Do not use the cheap exhaust/intake manifold kits/gasket . Use a copper/copper clad gasket. The brownish/tan stiff exhaust gasket can go bad quickly, mine only lasted 20 miles. this gasket was supplied in a cheaper gasket kit.

Stay away from the modern silicone impregnated head gasket, use a copper clad or the Best Graphtite head gaskets. The Best Graphtite works great, but the material can be very difficult to remove off the head/block if/when you may have to take the head off next time.

Use of the exhaust gland rings is recommended to help prevent exhaust manifold sag at cylinder 4.

The rest of what you ask can hopefully be answered by others, or perhaps try doing a little searching. This is the limit of what I learned, since I did not actually do teh rebuilding of my motor.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
David R.

Default Re: Engine Rebuild Parts

I like tappets with lock nut. Once you lock it it’s set. You do have to recheck clearance after you lock it to make sure it didn’t change. Maybe takes a little more time adjusting, but I sure would hate to have to tear it back down for a tappet!
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote