Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
warrene

Default 3 brush gen' conversion to 2 brush with regulator

No doubt some 'electric guys' have already done this, turn your 3 brush gen' into a two brush unit with a regulator, no more fooling with the third brush when lights on. I have a '36 V8 generator, cut the mounting fork off, welded Model A type brackets on to mount it. These put out a few more amps, nice with 50 cp headlights.
I'll be working on this into the week, I've removed the 3rd brush, drilled and put in an insulated terminal on the rear plate, this will be the ARM terminal, wired to the charge brush, the other is grounded. Another insulated terminal is the FIELD, wired to the field coils, we'll use the typical 30 amp Ford regulator, narrow the air gap a little on the voltage control, we'll see what happens. Will post this when done, I think it'll work.
warrene

warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 3 brush gen' conversion to 2 brush with regulator

the amp ratings of the regulator has to match the generator, it has to be protected by the regulator
The 36 generator has a field wire coming out of it stock, old 6V Volkswagen runs the field the same and it is made to bolt to the generator
I have my stock generator at 14 amps, it used to take 18 amps for bright 50cp regular bulbs, 35 watt halogen bulbs take less, I can drive all night, have started out with low charge in the battery and come home with more in the battery

There's a optional generator for 1931 made for cars with radios, similar one for bus, and standrive, uses a different water inlet, and pipe to give longer generator clearance--- picture in service bulletins
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
warrene

Just finished, tossed the 3rd brush, welded brackets on, mounted a '55 Ford regulator to the firewall, hooked everything up nice, works like a million, runs my 50 cp bulbs no problem. This could be a '37 or '38 generator, they kicked up amperage a little since radios became more popular, there's really no info' on them to tell. I used the old output terminal for the FLD, installed the ARM terminal on the back plate, this worked out nice. I had all the items in stock so why not, I put the old cutout on just for looks but the regulator sort of gives it away.
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Bruce of MN

Label the reg “NOS Controller “
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Keith True

I just buy the John Regan Funprojects regulators,put it on,set it and forget it.It has got so I don't even bother to check the water in the batteries any more.About 15 years ago I sold my 28 pickup,the buyer bought one of Tom Wesenbergs EVR's that replaces the third brush.I put it in for him,zero problems.I've also gone to all LED lights too,so my draw at night is almost immeasurable.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Patrick L.

Tom W's EVR works good. Not hard to install.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote