Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
chrs1961815

Default Re: spark off of the distributor.

If you want a rebuilt one, I have several.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
mike657894

Berts has the best prices. I have to wait till after the holidays to spend any money on the car. I'm probably going to get a new housing from berts, a new upper plate, lower plate and screw kit. I have doubles of all the other parts. I need to spend about 100 to get a second distributor built and replace the missing shielded cable. Funny thing, I made a cart of all the parts needed to assemble a distributor and it totals 135 at berts. kinda surprising as the others sell a old style distributor for 179 and a modern plate one for around 150 I don't see the price difference between the modern plate prices and the originals. And it only takes a few minutes to assemble those parts.

Thanks for the offer chrs196815 I want to get a new housing though as I have all other new parts. And have kept my spares. Glad I did as the points in it were ford script.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

As an FYI some including myself have had problems with the modern wireless plates. Mine was the Nurex "shoe" type. After a while the wireless mechanical connection becomes iffy due to the spark advance moving the upper plate every time you adjust the spark lever. I ended going back to completely original with the condenser mounted as original to solve my issues.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #24
mike657894

I will be getting the standard parts. I put the distributor back together and the upper plate was tight. WHAT!?!?! Am I losing it? I had noticed but ignored this odd bend the spring had. I just though it was homemade. I found its purpose. A hack job fix. So this odd bend on this spring serves to lock it on the distributor housing then it will jam under the upper plate inbetween it and where it is suposed to ride on the center of the housing. Wedging the upper plate in the top of those wear paths and into the side of the housing. It would seem that the tail needs to be on the advance rod side if its rotated to the other side the bend keeps it out of the way and you get a floppy upper plate. As far as bad fixers at least its a small one that is easy to fix. I thought everyone would get a kick out of this ingenuity and bad work. I dont know if it quite shows in the photo but the plate is jammed to the side opposite the advance rod.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote