Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2016, 03:48 AM   #1
Kars35

Default Buyers Beware of Scam!!

I was looking for 2*1921/24*Buick 4 cylinder heads. I was contacted last night from a guy in CA with exactly what I was looking for. I was given a price of $200 for both of them and he said he would look to see what shipping would cost and let me know the next*am. I told him I wanted pictures of them both to make sure we were on the same page. The next morning he rang the phone off the wall and said he has them boxed and ready for shipping. I said what about pictures, and he said he doesn't know how to take pics and send them by phone, and he has never owned a computer. I said, you told me you're friend had the camera what happened? Well, it's the holidays and he left to see family. Ok,,,,,so I said I was weary of scams, and he assured me he was not that kind of guy. So I went to town to send money to him from Walmart to Walmart. He seemed fairly legitimate, so I wasn't too worried. He then called me before I sent the money with a new and cheaper price for shipping. He also seemed extremely eager to have the money sent. He said each head weighed 75 five pounds, and shipping was $155.35. I said ok. While still driving, he called again and said hey,,, you don't have to send the 35 cents, that he would cover it. Hmm, how weird. Now with all the phone calls, and acting too eager, I called my dad and had him weigh the cracked head that we had, and it weighed 34 pounds without the rockers, valves, springs, or cover. Ok, so now I called him and said whats up with that? He said oops, you're right. the total weight was 75#'s and he doubled it by accident because there were 2 heads. Ya right. I told him i'm not going to send money unless he took pics of both of them from the top, and both of them together from the bottom. He said OK. Well he called back and said he couldn't find a camera and he just sold both of them to another guy for $100 for both. I know better, there were never any heads to begin with. His name is Willy, Mario Keelen. Supposed to live in Hayward California. He for sure is a con artist. Buyer beware!!!! He contacted me through the aaca in Buick parts. P,S, still looking for heads.*
Kars35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
Sixseven

Default Re: Buyers Beware of Scam!!

I like to see long time membership and activity on this forum to verify legit status. Glad you saved your money.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
OLD AS I

We should have a thread on here that sits on the opening like Sticky does and when someone runs across a scammer you list the name, email address or what ever you have. I ask for a picture of the part with a sign that says "its for you Sam" or something odd, my names not Sam, least you know they have the part then you can determine what to do next.
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Mike51Merc

Glad you saved yourself, but this had all the earmarks of a scam.

The simplest protection: Never ever send money by any means that can't be traced or reversed.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
oldskool

I have an ad up on early ford club site looking for a 40-41 ford pu driver quality,had a guy contact me saying he had one at reasonable price to contact him for pictures and price, I did he sent several pictures of a truck in primer looked real nice ,he wanted $5,995 and would ship it to me free of charge,im in ny he is in ca,too good to be true,i asked him if it had the original v6 motor he said it did
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
nellis003

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
,i asked him if it had the original v6 motor he said it did
I dunno, man, that sounds like a hell of a deal - those 41 Pickups with the original V6 are pretty scarce. I'm still amazed I was able to find that 34 3-window hybrid in Nigeria, I wired Dembe the money right away. Can't wait for it to arrive by container ship; can you believe I got free shipping?
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Scotty's 52 F3

I had one on CL that was obviously a scam. At first I was going to blow him off but, I was so sick of these scams I told the guy it sounded like a great deal. He got really excited and wanted all my pertinent info.

So I gave him the address, phone number and a FAX number to the FBI office in Phoenix. Never heard back. Then I got worried the FBI might not have been happy about what I did. Never heard from them either.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
3blapcam

I had some early Chevy fenders for sale on craigslist. Got a hit from a guy somewhere... He went so far as to send me a "business check" via USPS priority mail out of Denver. I was asking $350, the check was for $1,800 to cover shipping. Simple math tells ya that doesn't add up!!! I just told him the bank wouldn't cash it & to hurry & send another! I also told him my name was Joe Piscapo. He never even skipped beat.

Good on you guys for smelling a rat!!!

3blap.
3blapcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
Newc

Hi all; Be care full of those counterfeit Checks. My cousin got in all kinds of trouble with Wells Fargo by trying to cash one. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote