Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Pat/Ohio

Default Brake Light Switch Revisited - 1930 Model A

Hello All,

The last time I posted I mentioned that when I took possession of my 1930 Town Sedan, the brake switch was located on the outside of the driver's side frame rail. Knowing that it was in the wrong location I removed it and purchased a reproduction brake switch to move to the correct position behind the cross member. Being the conservative type...I optioned for the cheaper switch...MISTAKE! I should have checked it with an ohm meter before installing it. It seems that the brake switch is "Live" all the time. Regardless of where you positioned the "rod" the brake lights were "on" all the time.

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the newer USA Made unit ($50) and installed it. This time I checked to see if the "rod" or "plunger" activated correctly. It did! As a matter of fact, the gentleman at Bratton's checked the switch with an ohm meter before he sent it to me. That's good service!

Now, I have what appears to be an alignment issue with the brake rod. When I push on the brake pedal, the rod or plunger on the brake switch slides below the flat surface on the brake rod and locks in the position until I remove the brake rod. The housing on the ($50) brake switch seems to be as flimsy as the $8.00 brake switch. My brake switch is mounted horizontally and not vertically. That may be my problem, because I am thinking the housing would be in a stronger position if it were mounted vertically. The brake switch rod is sliding to the bottom of the flat surface on the brake rod and because it is mounted horizontally, the housing is not strong enough to hold it's position.

I have seen where others have mounted the brake switch in the vertical position, but the holes in my cross member don't seem to align with the brake rod using the vertical position. There are several holes in the cross member, but it will only mount in the horizontal position and align with the brake rod. See picture.

Your thoughts...Be gentle...this is my first Model A adoption!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.JPG (157.6 KB, 132 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Brake Light Switch Revisited - 1930 Model A

Switch mounting looks correct.
Need to see the other side to find the problem.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Pat/Ohio

Tom, the brake rod on the other side has an extension of about 3/4" with a flat surface. When it travels forward it also travels upward just a little because of the round pivot of the cross shaft etc. I don't think there is much adjustment with the brake shaft except back & forth at the clevis on the pedal. I am thinking that I might tack weld a flat 1" washer to the flat surface of the brake rod so that the brake light switch rod won't slide under. What do you think?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Ray64

Jerry rigging not the ans. Find the prob. and correct it proper Mt 2 cents RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Big hammer

I'm thinking my late 31's switch had the wire terminals facing up. When the switch has sticking for mine, I cleaned it inside and out and oiled the shaft and bushings everything has fine. As for adjusting I think I my have bent the switch mounts so the rod moved better? It was a long time ago
Old 11-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray64 View Post
Jerry rigging not the ans. Find the prob. and correct it proper Mt 2 cents RAY

Ray, I'm thinking it was a poor design in the first place. After all, Ford went back to locating this switch on the transmission in 1932 using a spring connection. So, I'll probably "improve" on his design a little. If the brake light switch mounting flange wasn't so flimsy, it wouldn't flex allowing the activator rod to slide under the brake rod. It's not a show car...just want the brake lights to work!

Pat
Old 11-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Conaway2

Mine is mounted perpendicular to yours, with the wire terminals facing the driver side.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
Bob C

I have two and they are both mounted like Conway2's.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
Pat/Ohio

Yes, I have seen them mounted vertically also. Mine will only mount one way (two ways if you want the connections on top). I guess it depends on which hole the brake rod is "peeking" thru.

I believe I have it "fixed" now. Boy, if the spring in the brake light switch wasn't so darn stiff...it would have worked like it should have to begin with.

Thanks guys!
Pat
Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
midgetracer

I have 5 and they are all mounted vertically. Of course i am the one who mounted them. I do believe vertically is correct
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote