Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Rathbone

Default Nothing here 'Pre- T'?

I took a video of a guy firing up and idling his 1906 Model N at a local show recently. It's the oldest car I've ever seen. I thought I'd post it but 1. I don't know how to host a video, and 2. there's no section for anything older than a T? I'm surprised by #2. Are they really so rare that even here they don't get mentioned?
Rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: Nothing here 'Pre- T'?

They get mentioned but not too often. Typically this is a Model T forum but your right it would be fun to hear about the pre-T cars.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
yachtsmanbill

I say go for it! I wont rag about it! Most neophytes think Ts were the first cars built! Edumicate them!! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Will N

You can't post a video directly. You'll need to upload it to something like Youtube, and then post a link to the Youtube video.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
[email protected]

I'm not a neophyte! I've had girlfriends and I've been married twice. I'm not a neophyte I'm just a little hard to get along with.
Let's go.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
t42

Rathbone, post whatever you have. Pre-T discussions might be refreshing.
Some of the topics on this site have real merit, and some have morphed into personal chat lines. If you get negative responses don't get offended, just consider the source, and stay involved with the hobby. Just my opinion, good luck.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by t42 View Post
Rathbone, post whatever you have. Pre-T discussions might be refreshing.
Some of the topics on this site have real merit, and some have morphed into personal chat lines. If you get negative responses don't get offended, just consider the source, and stay involved with the hobby. Just my opinion, good luck.
Morphed? Personal chat lines? Just consider the source? And I guess we'd appreciate it if you'd leave your personality at the door. This is a website dedicated to only the hobby of the old Fords and we'd appreciate it if you'd remember not to build any friendships or have a sense of humor. Keep this site dedicated to only pertinent old Ford information and for God's sake if we can't agree with your opinions than keep them to yourself. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, this is "just my opinion". FCS
Let's go.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Stinch

Friend of mine's 1907 Model K:

Such a great looking car:

More brass the better:

Fascinated by the exposed flywheel:

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by Stinch; 05-12-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Actually a 1907
Stinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Jack Innes

[QUOTE=Stinch;423883]Friend of mine's 1905 Model K:

Fascinated by the exposed flywheel:

Beautiful car!

Notice the exposed bands. The T was the first Ford that did not have its bands out in the weather.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
[email protected]

This thread is going to be great. I've always wondered about the pre-T vehicles. I spent the other day with a couple of older cars (1910 Buick and 1910 Maxwell) that were fascinating to me. They weren't Ford but the mechanics and the beauty of them was fun to look at. It' was the whole deal where form, fit and function cross over into the realm of art. The Fords through to the end of the brass era were part of that period. It's sad to think Ford was so interested in taking the beauty out of the model T in order to make it more affordable for the masses. I own a '21 and '26 T's but I would love to own a brass Ford too. When ford finally got around to putting color and brightwork back onto the vehicles it only lasted for a couple years and he moved on to the "A"s. I laugh every time someone brings up the "any color as long as it's black" myth because it's one of the things that takes a lot of the focus off the more beautiful Pre-17 Ts.
Let's go.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Morphed? Personal chat lines? Just consider the source? And I guess we'd appreciate it if you'd leave your personality at the door. This is a website dedicated to only the hobby of the old Fords and we'd appreciate it if you'd remember not to build any friendships or have a sense of humor. Keep this site dedicated to only pertinent old Ford information and for God's sake if we can't agree with your opinions than keep them to yourself. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, this is "just my opinion". FCS

I think someone morphed into an MTFCA guy. Ya ever read what I put up (with!) over there? How about a 30 post thread about 1/8 npt radiator drains? Gota use your left hand for starting only! The car senses the right hand and kicks back... Watch out you !!!! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Farmallcub49

I have seen that K up close and personal and it is a thing of beauty. It is a monster next to any Model T. Watch for flying oil with this car. Watching him hand crank was interesting, especially when he held the car back to keep it from creeping over him.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
I have seen that K up close and personal and it is a thing of beauty. It is a monster next to any Model T. Watch for flying oil with this car. Watching him hand crank was interesting, especially when he held the car back to keep it from creeping over him.
I think I watched something like that going on down in Rochester last summer.
Let's go.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
I think someone morphed into an MTFCA guy. Ya ever read what I put up (with!) over there? How about a 30 post thread about 1/8 npt radiator drains? Gota use your left hand for starting only! The car senses the right hand and kicks back... Watch out you !!!! ws
Please don't call out a tapered pipe thread without utilizing the entire nomenclature. It's a 1/8-27 NPT internal pipe thread radiator drain that mates to a 1/8-27 NPT external pipe thread brass radiator petcock. Unless it a NPTF thread. The F stands for fitted and these threads are used for high pressure applications (i.e.10,000 psi) such are used in hydraulics. They are designed to be used sans pipe sealer. The tolerance on the NPTF threads are much tighter than NPT and are gaged utilizing high, basic, and low 3 step gages. One for the high end of tolerance and one for the low end of tolerance. The high and low end gages are expected to be within 1/2 turn of each other and the third gage is the 6 step truncation gage that checks the amount of thread thats literally truncated from the crest of the thread. And though they're designed for the thread to actually crush into each other in their application most people who use them incorrectly apply teflon tape to the threads to guarantee a seal. Utilizing these threads this way in a high pressure application compromises the strength of the thread and is considered a liability. However because most manufacturers don't understand this thread and in order to manufacture it at a cost savings or simply don't understand it choose to use NPT tooling and ignore the engineers intent. Oh shit I just morphed from my machinist to my engineer mode. Dammit!
Let's go.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Will N

Since we're going pre T, here are a couple of pics of 1903 Model A engine and tranny. Took these a Hershey in 2009. Ford was building a twin lunger back when most cars had only a single. He was pushing the envelope technology- wise right up to the T. Don't forget the T had a removable head and cylinders cast en bloc with the crank case when most cars did not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 model a front.jpg (94.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1903 model a rear.jpg (86.5 KB, 44 views)
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
ddave

Hi Guys,
There is a place you read about Pre-T Fords and see thousands of pictures of them. It's a website run by the 1903-1909 Early Ford Registry. This organization of more than 150 members from all over the world is growing daily. the website is www.EarlyFordRegistry.com - You can read all the posts without registering. You can register without joining the club, however, it only costs $10 a year to be a member and receive the Newsletter by email. We welcome all folks - you do not have to own an old Ford to belong. You can even join on-line and pay your dues with PayPal if you want.
Dave Dunlavy
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
MrModelT

To stay with the Model K for a bit....here are two of favs:

two 1907 Ford Model K factory race cars driven by Frank Kulick. I kinda have a thing for the on seen in the old photos myself...like the profile better with the longer wheelbase personally. Don't know if these are the same car or not though...

The 1901 "Sweepstakes" racer

The "Arrow" Racer 1904

Old Number "999"
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
[email protected]

American ingenuity at it's best. I like the fella riding outboard style on the 1901 sweepstakes racer. These photos are priceless. That steering on 999 is a little scary.
Let's go.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Since we're going pre T, here are a couple of pics of 1903 Model A engine and tranny. Took these a Hershey in 2009. Ford was building a twin lunger back when most cars had only a single. He was pushing the envelope technology- wise right up to the T. Don't forget the T had a removable head and cylinders cast en bloc with the crank case when most cars did not.
An interesting point on the engine pictured is that it is NEW! Ross & Sandy McTavish in Ontario have patterns for all of the castings for the 1903 Ford engine & are expert machinists. They have made several of these engines to date. I have a 1011 Cadillac bottom end at their shop right now for new bearings & fitting a replacement crank shaft. I have stumbled over the 2 cylinder Ford castings & never fail to be impressed by the project. (The engine in the 1904 model C in my avitar is essentially the same.)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Rathbone

OK, I posted the videos. You can find them here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73767

It took me a while to get around to it but today's a rainy Saturday so no car shows today. The car shown is unrestored. It's interesting to compare it to the highly polished example shown earlier in this thread.
Rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote