Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
jrvariel48

Default Re: Gear ratio's and final drives

I want to give a HUGE thank you to V8COOPMAN for all his help and amazing amount of knowledge! Thank you Dick!! So after careful consideration and talking with a bunch of people, I think it's safe, for now, to go with cadillac512's idea and put a 4.11 in the rear. I threw this over to the HAMB for some input and what the majority is saying is that as long as I'm not sidestepping the clutch and doing burnouts, I should be ok. Not to say that the 2.95 gear set is dead in the water. It's not and it's something I will do. The cost factor is pretty heavy compared to a rear ratio change. I can pull the third member myself to bring it to my mechanic and reinstall it myself. The ring and pinion are cheap and reusable. Quality gears alone are over $2000 and that's just to buy them, but I understand it goes with the territory. I'm trying to find someone to build a trans outright, but I'm finding some difficulty because I need it in a GM case. If not, I have to change the bellhousing adaptor to a Ford bolt pattern, I believe, and that's not something I want to do. Thanks for all the input and if anyone knows of a T5 builder please pass it along
Thanks, Joe

Last edited by jrvariel48; 12-23-2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote