Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
jrvariel48

Default Model 59 Carb too small?

Is this carb to small for a 255 motor with a L100B cam (.369 lift)?
I wanted to use this carb to break the motor in before I put the blower back on.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Model 59 Carb too small?

It may be slightly less horse power at high rpm than the slightly larger 255 Merc carb, but plenty good to break in a motor, or even use as is.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Ol' Ron

Yes, The amount of venturie area is determined by the displacement and rpm of the engine. owever, the smaller carb will givr good throttle response in th low to misrange RPM for a street engine. One question, What's an L100B cam?? How much duration? Same as the L-100? Who makes it?
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
jrvariel48

I had it ground by Kiwi! Here's what he posted:
The L100 cam had become quite "Notorious" over the last many years with Flathead lovers . Some call it the "SmileyCam" because of its real racey hot rod sound. Originally ground I believe by the "Literio Bros" from the North East some called "The Isky" of the east. Flathead Legend "Ol Ron" Holeran has one in a 5000lb ambulance & also in circle track race cars & reports it pulls strong from down low to 6000+. Many have them in race cars & hot rods all over the world . Reportedly get Decent gas mileage also . Then the were offered by "Cam Techniques" of the Nth East & then Florida until Dave retired .
After knowing several people that wanted the L100 I went to work to make the KiWi-L100 once again available to all that want it.
The original L100 "Advertised " specs are as follows:-
Lift In.=.375 Ex=.375 @ cam
Duration @.050 In=246* Ex=238*
Lobe centers 111*
The blower cam is
Lift In. .369 Ex. .368
Duration at .050 In 238* Ex 246*
Lobe centers 111*
Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
jrvariel48

I just pulled the carb off to see what's inside. It has #51 jets I didn't pull the power valve yet.
Is this a good starting point? My A/F meter is reading lean at idle
My biggest problem is I cant get it to idle down!
I have to hold it open. It seems the vacuum is trying to close it.
Is there anything that could be done about that??
Old 05-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
jrvariel48

Power valve is a 5.5
Old 05-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

Joe in my opinion you had a combination that worked for you before getting a new engine built. You should put the blower combination on the new motor and then begin tuning. Trying to break in the engine with just a carb no blower is a waste of time. Your not going to do any harm to the new engine with the blower considering if im not mistaken the old set up was working fine. Or an I missing something?
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
jrvariel48

You are correct Ronnie! The old set worked great! I figured I could run this for a bit then pull it, check valve adjustment and then put the blower on. If you tell me it’s a waste of time, I know you ain’t lyin’!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
You are correct Ronnie! The old set worked great! I figured I could run this for a bit then pull it, check valve adjustment and then put the blower on. If you tell me it’s a waste of time, I know you ain’t lyin’!

By time you will need to look at the valve lash you should have at least a 1000 miles on the car. You have to ask yourself do i want to drive around all that time being bored without the power adder installed. If its me the answer has always been heck no i start the car and drive/tune up with all the options in place that being the power adders..
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 05-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
jrvariel48

I'm on it! I already started unbolting stuff this afternoon!
Old 05-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
tubman

Boy! I guess I'm the "odd man out" again. I have a known good stock manifold and carb that I use for the initial start of every engine I do. I would never use anything else with a fresh rebuild. If it was a problem to change, I wouldn't think this way, but you don't even have to drain the coolant. A new engine introduces enough new variables.

But, I am not a pro engine builder; if I was doing 10 or 20 engines a year, I might think differently.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Boy! I guess I'm the "odd man out" again. I have a known good stock manifold and carb that I use for the initial start of every engine I do. I would never use anything else with a fresh rebuild. If it was a problem to change, I wouldn't think this way, but you don't even have to drain the coolant. A new engine introduces enough new variables.

But, I am not a pro engine builder; if I was doing 10 or 20 engines a year, I might think differently.

Your first line hit the nail right on the head !
Old 05-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #13
flatjack9

Well, I've got a test engine on a stand that I use to check all my distributors and carbs before going on a new build.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote