Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #41
Chippy Minton

Default Re: Buying an out of state car on the internet

Even the difference between looking at a car from 20 feet and up close can make a huge difference. Mind you the best Model As will not look as though they have just rolled off the production line. Character comes with age and experience.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #42
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Young View Post
A newbie here ... desperately looking for a real nice model A but can't find anything local or even within a couple of hundred miles. Looks like I'll have to resort to the internet sites and buy out of state and unseen.

I've done some traveling to look at a few but have been disappointed when they don't live up to their descriptions. I'm scared to think about cars living up to their descriptions when you can't actually view them in person.

And then there's interstate shipping to contend with ... I've read a lot of horror stories on the internet about rip-offs with huge extra charges, etc....

What's a fella to do? Can anyone here convince me that my fears are unfounded and that actually, sending someone you don't know, twenty or
so thousands of dollars is quite common and nothing to worry about, and that my car will be as described and arrive unblemished and with no extra charges. Thanks, in advance, for your encouragement. Cheers, Dave
Don't beleave everything you read on the internet ! Not even 20% of it.
I've been buying cars in USA for almost 30 years (about 90 cars) and only 2 of them I had to sell without profit. Most of the cars I didn't see - just a few expensive ones, I took a flight (and vacation) to see them.
When you know something about old cars you ask the right questions to the seller. When you don't know anything about cars stay away from it. And you also have to know something of the values of an old car.
My opinion
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #43
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
Photos are deceiving. ...
Sometimes cars look better in real then on a picture !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #44
WHN

I like cars that have been owned by the same family for years. They are usually a family treasure. Whether driven or stored, they have been loved.

If you are looking at a car that has been owned by many different people. I would walk away. You might miss out on a good car, but there is a reason they have changed hands. Every new owner has had a learning curve with a car.

There are good cars out there. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #45
Dave Young

I'm really blown away by the responses I've received from my question ... to date, 43 comments and 1,258 views. What's quite remarkable, is that since posting my question, (and I was sincerely concerned about buying a car off the internet), I've actually found a car within a three hour drive of my home. I've examined it, driven it, and satisfied myself that I won't find a better one in the price range I have set for myself.

In a way, I feel foolish ... Most of the comments were from folks who sincerely appeared to want to help me. Some were a little snarky and made me feel like a fool
who didn't know what he was doing, and I guess they were right too. But all of the
experts here had to face the same challenges as me when they started out. Perhaps that was so long ago that they've forgotten it.

What's really impressive, and makes me feel good, is that almost 1,600 people have followed the thread. And think about it ... they wouldn't have followed it if they didn't, perhaps, have the same concerns as me. Perhaps a few other folks have benefited from the wisdom expressed here by you experts.

I couldn't sleep last night. Kept thinking about my new car. Believe me, it's a winner. I'm sure I'll post again in the future, as I discover all the unexpected problems my dream car will turn out to have. But I do want to thank all the sages who shared their wisdom with me ... and the 1,260 viewers who benefited too.

Thanks to you all. Cheers, Dave Young

I've decided I'm going to live forever .... so far, so good.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #46
al's28/33

Dave you better keep this new Model "A" of yours in tip-top operating condition if you expect to be around for so long. Change the oil every 500 miles and lube all the fittings. Check the brakes and top off fluids and be prepared to get dirty and share all your road adventures with all of us!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #47
ronn

and be sure to show us alot of photos when you can.

congratulations!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #48
Anteek29

Hooray...you sound like a happy camper! We wanna see pics
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #49
Dave Young

Dave ... Thanks for your comments. Good advice, but if you've followed the thread you'll see that I found a car, a few hours away, and bought it!

It intrigues me that we share the same name. I've been Dave Young for many, many years and I've never run across another. Recently, I bought a pair of headphones at a Sam Ash (music store) and the clerk asked me if I had ever purchased from a Sam Ash store before. When I answered 'yes'. he punched the name up in the computer and there were 42 Dave Young's there. And they were obviously just musicians! Wow, I never would have suspected we were that common. I always assumed I was the only one.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello ... I'm a Jersey guy too. Lived (north Jersey)) for nearly fifty years. Now, I live in Pennsylvania Dutch country ... among the Amish. Very interesting, but I still miss Jersey.

Incidentally, If your name is Dave Young, where does the 'Wilbur' come from?

Cheers, Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #50
Dodge

I heard it from a talking horse.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #51
TerryH

Dave....Congrats on finding “your” Model A! Finding and buying the right one these days can be quite an experience, and as you found, can actually and be sure to post lots of fun. Welcome to the club, and be sure to post lots of photos.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote