Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
trax

Default Moto Meters

Considering purchasing a Moto Meter with wings for my 29 pickup. I did a search of old posts on Moto Meters. Sounds like there were 4 sizes made back in the day. Most vendors seem to carry the "junior". Is that the one that is usually used on Model A's today?
trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
insomniacshotrods

Default Re: Moto Meters

Here is what i got for my 29,http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1929-Fo...78aa24&vxp=mtr I wanted a locking one so i could look at other cars without worrying about my moto meter growing legs and walking off. They also sell the wings. I believe the jr is referring to the size of the wings. Speedway sells a wing that is huge and would look like a crow sitting on your radiator ha. Very happy with mine.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
redmodelt

The Junior refers to the size of the Moto meter it's self not the wings. The size sold by the dealers is the right for the Model A.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
DougVieyra

The 'Junior' size was a multi-marque motor meter for all smaller sized cars - Chevy, Dort, Whippet, Velie, Ford, etc. For the most part the all had the universal 'Moto-Meter' logo and face plate under the front viewing glass. A few had a face-plate that had specific marques - Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc., usually sold by the dealers of the individual cars, as opposed to a buyer bought item from outside sources - Auto Parts Stores, Gas Stations, Repair Garages, etc.

Being a small car, the Ford (both A & T) used the 'Junior' size. The modern reproductions are very similar to the originals, but easily distinguished from them. Most of today's users prefer the marque specific face plate, but a universal one is just as historically valid.

Some think that the addition of another accessory to 'dress up' the moto-meter enhances the ornamentation of the radiator, so 'Wings' (among other things) are added to the basic moto-meter, but they are not originally part of the temperature gauge.

And by the way, the unit is more properly called a 'Temperature Gauge', of which there were several manufactures during the teens, twenties and thirties. The manufacture we are most familiar with is "Moto-Meter' - but that is the manufacturer, not the gauge. The Moto-Meter company made a great many items for cars - I have an original set of Motor-Meter spark plugs for my '28 Phaeton, for example.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, CA
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Moto Meters

tex,

Try and find an original Moto-Meter in good shape. They are more accurate
then the re-pops. They do show up on eBay occasionally, but of late they are getting more expensive.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
bikejunk

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
purchased a genuine junior size on ebay for around 35.00 last year ,and its true they do work better than the repros
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
denis4x4

I have MotoMeters on both my A's as well as temp guages. I find the MotoMeters very accurate and watch them more than the guages. I bought both of mine 20 years ago and would appreciate some input on things to look for on originals. Both of mine have the wreath design and Ford oval logo on what appears to be gold foil. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
trax

An original junior sounds like the way to go but they do look pricey on Ebay. Not in a hurry so I might take some time and see if an affordable original comes along. I too would like to know the differences between the originals and the re-pops so I know what to look for.

Thanks for everyone's help

Last edited by trax; 02-22-2015 at 09:04 PM.
trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
John Duden

I have an original Motometer with a repop 28-29 twist top cap, if you are interested
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
DougVieyra

The original Moto-Meter temperature gauge (radiator mount) has a much more defined and delicate embossing of the filigree on the circular framing. Also, the main body to which the circular framing is attached, is noticeably more rounded at the outer rim.

I would be extremely leery of any original Motor-Meter, as the very often have a thermometer that does not work. The thermometer bulb is not repairable. At least not in a cost / time effect manor.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
The original Moto-Meter temperature gauge (radiator mount) has a much more defined and delicate embossing of the filigree on the circular framing. Also, the main body to which the circular framing is attached, is noticeably more rounded at the outer rim.
The screws are a dead give away. The original screws are embossed as the repro's are not.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
pooch

I second the locking cap one.

PITA to have to unscrew many times to check water, and the fact that thieves can get it off easy.

A simple 1/4 turn and flip back, and also if your rad spits water, you can permanently seal the threads, and then just have the one gasket under to contend with.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:02 AM   #13
DougVieyra

Right you are Mike - I forgot to mention that.

- Doug Vieyra
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #14
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Moto Meters

Re-pop Moto-Meters have a brass course threaded shaft while the originals have steel fine threaded shafts. The inner surface of the meter body between the front face plate and rear glass lens. Is painted a satin black on the originals and left blank (chrome showing) on the re-pops. Snyder's is now selling a beautiful re-pop of the Ford script Moto-Meter face plate. It is almost impossible to tell the difference from an original. Embossed
re-pop Moto-Meter face plate screws are also being sold now. But, they do not have as much detail as the originals.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Fred
BANNED

The Original shaft is also plated, chrome or nickel.. It also is not solid brass on the end.. It has what looks like a small freeze plug on the base of it..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
Marco Tahtaras

The second pic shows the base of the stem which was mentioned. There are other things worth knowing here. First, what Ford used (shown below) was the 'Deluxe' Junior. Boyce also made a plain or standard Junior. The body of the standard was slightly thicker and the rims were plain or smooth. These fit and work the same and to my knowledge have never been reproduced. They tend to demand far less $ and to me are just fine. I'm running one on my Fordor.

As a side note, many folks seem to think the stem is supposed to reach the water. It isn't! They are designed to read off the water vapor and do so quite nicely.