Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default Complexity of new format.

I just looked at a post about a transmission stand. It had a link to two pictures. I looked at the first one, but could not get back to where I was to look at the second one without having to jump through all of the hoops to log back in again, then try to get the picture, which I finally did.

I am wondering why I have to sign in with my name and password several times a day? Each time I enter and want to read something.

Also wonder why I cannot respond to the initial post, but have to scroll down and respond to the last post. By the time you go through through all of those maschinations the thread has completely turned to something else entirely.

This format is certainly more complicated for us old farts. MY 2¢.

Lawson
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
52merc

Default Re: Complexity of new format.

i fully agree with you on all counts lawson ryan has made this just like the hamb when he could have made it a great site,,its very noticable how many hamb guys have raced over to the new barn also how many old barners are not on the new 1,the forum is dam hopeless you should be able to click on the subject then answer them under the original post& then the thread keeps going down but now you have to flick over to the pages & then go through that lot,,quite franky its bad news trev no smiles here
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
52merc

also its becoming a photo shoot to some of these guys its a forum !!! not a album for pics,yes lawson if you want to answer the guy at top of forum you have to scroll right to the bottom of the post before you can post about the whatever at the top.you should be able to answer his question right there crazy stuff & some of these guys say old ford barn was hard to navigate must have their caps over there eyes!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post

Also wonder why I cannot respond to the initial post, but have to scroll down and respond to the last post. By the time you go through through all of those maschinations the thread has completely turned to something else entirely.

Lawson
All you need to do if you want to respond to the original post is click on quote,,that is exactly what I did to respond to you question,,you will also notice I deleted the part that I didn't respond to,,hope that helps. HRP
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Straightpipes

Well, You could have had NOTHING This guy has taken a lot of time and effort to get this thing going. Good thing you are not on the other site so I could say what I really want.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
I just looked at a post about a transmission stand. It had a link to two pictures. I looked at the first one, but could not get back to where I was to look at the second one without having to jump through all of the hoops to log back in again, then try to get the picture, which I finally did.

I am wondering why I have to sign in with my name and password several times a day? Each time I enter and want to read something.

Lawson
Lawson,,make sure you check the remember me box beside your name and password. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 05-14-2010 at 08:42 AM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

You can cuss me and leave or give it a chance.

Im here to help with anything you need if you chose the later.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
i fully agree with you on all counts lawson ryan has made this just like the hamb when he could have made it a great site,,its very noticable how many hamb guys have raced over to the new barn also how many old barners are not on the new 1,the forum is dam hopeless you should be able to click on the subject then answer them under the original post& then the thread keeps going down but now you have to flick over to the pages & then go through that lot,,quite franky its bad news trev no smiles here
All you have to do is click quote,,much like I told Lawson,HRP
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
havi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
Lawson,,make sure you check the remember me box beside you name and password. HRP
That was my thought. If you click on the picture once, it shows in a black outlined box, which below it, it should say previous or next, click that. If you double click the picture, it will open in a whole new window.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Straightpipes

Well, They won't find this for a couple of days anyway.........Pipes
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
Well, They won't find this for a couple of days anyway.........Pipes
Ya, I don't know if I could even find my way back!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
34fivewindow

Guys, my take on the new site, you just need to spend the time here and look at all of the different options it has, it just takes some getting use to. If your really interested in being part of Ford Barn, you will want to figure it out, it is what it is. I think we all should be greatful that someone stepped up to take this site over, or we would all be looking at nothing right now. The average guy now seems to be able to post a picture here, this is going to come in handy, when your trying to get help from others, plus its pretty nice seeing all of the members cars. I am glad Ryan saved the ford barn, hell Shelly could have sold it to Japan......Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
All you need to do if you want to respond to the original post is click on quote,,that is exactly what I did to respond to you question,,you will also notice I deleted the part that I didn't respond to,,hope that helps. HRP
HOTRODPRIMER . . . . . . . . . . . .
I don't think that you meant to, but your Henry Ford quote, looks like you are putting Lawson Cox down. Lawson Cox, probably has forgotten more than most people on FORDBARN know.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Cob
Administrator

Change is not easy for some.
I am no different with things that I am not familar with.

Some like change, some don't.
For those who don't, options are to take the time to learn new things of how they work or ask questions.

Lawson Cox - please if I can help with anything that makes it smoother for you - please send me a private message.

As far as a new face ? - yep I am.
I have helped Ryan for almost 10 years Moderatoe and deal with spam or move general or classifieds posts that maybe are in wrong sections so it looks cleaner and organized and also help anyone else that might have a question.

I have had many Fords in my day as well as others - both stock and modified.

Lawson Cox - please let me know if you have questions. More than happy to help and also in return learn from you if I have any ford questions I might need a answer to if you don't mind me bugging you a time or two.

Thanks,

Cob

Last edited by Cob; 05-13-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Gary in Mozarks

[QUOTE/] I am wondering why I have to sign in with my name and password several times a day? Each time I enter and want to read something.
Lawson[/QUOTE]

Larson, Did you figure out how to click on the remember me box so you don;t have to sign in every time?
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
Hotrodladycrusr

Talk about attitude
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
34fivewindow

Hi Denise, good to see you here, you think about trading Big Olds in on a Ford ? ....LOL...Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #18
itslow

Quote:
If you wish to view the thread with a reply tree like the old version, click on "Display Modes" in the red bar at the top of the thread and select "Switch to Threaded Mode".

In reality though, on threads that become large, the "Linear" or "Hybrid" display modes make the threads much easier to read and follow by allowing you to easily scan the replies and skip those that are lacking constructive information. You'll find that these two modes require far fewer mouse clicks than the "Threaded" mode.

Give it a try before you give up on it. It's only "dam hopeless" if folks don't bother to put forth a valid effort to figure it out and seek help as to how it works, if needed.

Then again, if you wish to be close-minded, you're probably better off just forgetting about the website.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
itslow

Quote:
...Also wonder why I cannot respond to the initial post, but have to scroll down and respond to the last post. By the time you go through through all of those maschinations the thread has completely turned to something else entirely.
Hit the "Quick Reply" button to reply to a specific post. This will not make show up immediately after the post to which you've replied when viewing in the standard "Linear" display mode, but it will insert the reply behind the post in when viewing in the "Hybrid" or "Threaded" modes.

The old version had the same problems with the threads getting totally off topic, turning in to pissing matches, or people having bad attitudes. Thinking that these issues are due to the new format(s) or Ryan's taking over the reins is false logic and untrue. If those are your reasons for giving up on the "new" Ford Barn, you should have given up on the "old" Ford Barn long ago.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts

Last edited by itslow; 05-14-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
ken ct
BANNED

Hang in there Lawson its not as bad as you think,even im getting the jist of it and you know im pretty bad on these things. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:

Lawson
Lawson i just answered you but it must have gone into cyber space but hang in there its not as bad as you think even im getting around on it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #22
fordcragar

I was a slow convert to these forums about 7 years ago. I also liked some of the old formats, but have found that the vBulletin style (like this forum) is pretty much the standard for all of the forums that are around today. Even though you could get used to the old Ford Barn, I found searching for information very difficult to do and I did a lot of it.

Anyway have patience, it will get easier for you and if you have questions please ask.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #23
BILL WZOREK

Morning Lawson:
This is a Different format all together But I think Given a little time US OLD GUYS can see our way through and give the new guys some of our wealth of knowledge.
If you know any old ford barners that are not here yet PLEASE get a hold of them and ask them to come on in.
If you have Problems ,Just ask they ( THE NEW GUYS ) seen to want to help. JMO
They know the Info we have to offer is imence (sp.)other wise they would not all be here.JMO again
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #24
Rowdy
BANNED

I like the hybrid mode. Saves me alot of time seeing what I have rad and what I have not. Rod
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #25
oldbugger

Lawson, I hope that us old farts can make the change, I really appreciate your wisdom, you have helped me many times with your advice. Thanks hang in there.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #26
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
HOTRODPRIMER . . . . . . . . . . . .
I don't think that you meant to, but your Henry Ford quote, looks like you are putting Lawson Cox down. Lawson Cox, probably has forgotten more than most people on FORDBARN know.
MIKE
I in NO WAY mean any disrespect aimed a Mr. Cox,,that is my signature and it appears in every post I make,,

Too many here have their defensive's up and dislike the change in format,,I understand their apprehension,,new things generally present new challenges and the introduction to the NEW FORD BARN is completely foreign to most.

I have been using the Ford Barn for a number of years,,but only looking at parts for sale and buying,,I never participated in the forums,,so with that said I must be an outsider to some of the long timer guys on the barn.

I am also a member of the Hamb with the same user name and I have used this Quote as my signature for a long time,,

"Tradition without intelligence is not worth having". T.S. Eliot

To those that believe the Ford Barn is doomed and lost forever I offer another quote from a gentleman from our past,,

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has opened for us.’

Alexander Graham Bell

As for Mr. Cox,,I do hope he remains active and I look forward to reading anything he cares to post ,,I am not here to create any problems or bicker.I appreciate guys like Mr. Cox willing to share their knowledge,.HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 05-14-2010 at 07:19 AM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #27
Vic Piano

Hey Lawson, Stick with it, you'll get it. I'm still figuring it out and enjoying it.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #28
Ole Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fivewindow View Post
Guys, my take on the new site, you just need to spend the time here and look at all of the different options it has, it just takes some getting use to. If your really interested in being part of Ford Barn, you will want to figure it out, it is what it is. I think we all should be greatful that someone stepped up to take this site over, or we would all be looking at nothing right now. The average guy now seems to be able to post a picture here, this is going to come in handy, when your trying to get help from others, plus its pretty nice seeing all of the members cars. I am glad Ryan saved the ford barn, hell Shelly could have sold it to Japan......Ed
Thank you for saying that so well, its what I have been thinking but was unable to put into words so well. I am not a computer person. If i cant do it with a handful of wrenches and a welder, I'm in big trouble. We have to play with this new format until we learn it. If this "quote" thing works, I will have learned something new before breakfast. Lets see if I can remember it!!!
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #29
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

From reading this post it appears that many here are just searching for reasons to dislike the new format and not willing to try the different options that are now available. I find this format much easier to navigate without having to scroll forever to locate something posted just a few hours ago.
Keep trying the different options old timers, given the chance, I believe you will find one that you like.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
Cob
Administrator

If those who read this from the "Old Barn" feel uncomfotable with navigating, please reach out and private message me or Ryan with having any questions.

I will do the best I can to walk through a area that may be of challenge. Heck I don't know every system moderating tool I have at my hands but with time I dig into them. Half the fun is learning something new.

Sometimes by posting frustrations of maybe be unsure of something or just not liking a new thing, you may get replies from people who try to help but....... because of using a certain program with comfort may come off as it's really easy.

Let's face it, new things are not always easy and I will be the first to admit that for me, new things are not always easy.

That being said, please any member that has some questions, please pirvate message me or Ryan. I do work during the day so please know I will answer when free time allows.

To those who have been here for many moons, I hope I can reach out to you if I have some old Ford info needs. Fair enough ?

After all, isn't that why we are all here to enjoy Old Fords and meet some new-old car people ? Hope so.

Enjoy and thanks,

Cob

Last edited by Cob; 05-14-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #31
MayDay

I will gladly navigate this forum for any of you "old farts" that care to come over and steer me thru an AV8 Roadster build.
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #32
fordnutz

Quote:
Amazing, you have 31 posts and haven't really added anything to the forum yet. I thought it was about cars. Obviously, no forum would be the better alternative. I come here to learn, and help out if I can, why do you come here? And yes, I was on the barn for years. Just didn't bitch much. Pat
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #33
Ryan
Administrator

Hey fellas... Opinions are fine... but please... let's not bash another to express yours... It's not productive.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
MayDay

And just to be clear, "old farts" was a quote from another post and was meant jokingly. No disrespect to anyone. It was meant as a funny way of saying that I wish I had as much mechaical know-how as I do computer know-how.

I know there is a lot of talent on this forum and I think we should all just be greatful that it still exists no matter the format. I wouldn't know where to begin if I didn't have access to all this information. Did you know that people used to build cars before the internet? Sounds crazy , right?Hahahaha.
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #35
52merc

mike i posted 2 replys to you thanking you for the info however they have dissapeared off the forum for some reason,so here it is again thanks for the usefull info which is what the forum is about ,& not posting smart inuendos,,as a lot of guys off the ol barn are having trouble ajusting to this new format because it is completely different guys that have been on the hamb have a great advantage over us,,so its neat that you step up and help along the way & not be a s/a thanks again trev
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #36
Frank The Plumber

Lawson, you should join the social groups, ford 1 has a group, you could all meet and greet on that group and make your own micro environment there, a rest pit for the weary, you can have private conversations with friends and all kinds of stuff, there is a lot more to this thing, you just have to figure out how to use it the way you want it to work for you instead of letting it work you. hang in there buddy, Im dumb as a stone on these "puters but Im gettin it.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #37
Steve Miller

Thumbs up Re: Complexity of new format.

I love the new format, thank you for changing it!
Steve Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #38
itslow

Quote:
mike i posted 2 replys to you thanking you for the info however they have dissapeared off the forum for some reason,so here it is again thanks for the usefull info which is what the forum is about ,& not posting smart inuendos,,as a lot of guys off the ol barn are having trouble ajusting to this new format because it is completely different guys that have been on the hamb have a great advantage over us,,so its neat that you step up and help along the way & not be a s/a thanks again trev
If that's directed to me, then thanks & you're welcome. I just don't want the "old" Ford Barn guys to say "this sucks, I'm leaving" without first giving the new format a real (not just half-assed) shot. The new forum software has quite a bit of customization available; a person just needs to ask how to get it to work the way they want.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts